Help with stage piano

blunt

• Members

Hey, everyone,

I've been playing a Korg C-720 for three or four years now. I'm tired of it and I am looking for a portable piano. Not a Korg, this time. I understand mine is top of the line (before the SV, anyway), but I really don't like the sound or the keys.

So, I in Europe (Milan) and I'm looking for something used. I've tried some pianos and I liked the P95 and P155; the new Roland FP-7 is also very nice. I was disappointed with the Kurzweil PC3LE, however.

I've been looking for ads and I've found several Yamaha P80 and some Rolands (RD 300 SX, FP9, RD 600).

What's your opinion on the P80, and how does it compare to the newer models? Also, would an RD 300 SX be better than a 600? What are your thoughts on Roland vs Yamaha? The Yamahas sounded more clear to me.

I only care about acoustic pianos (I've got a real Rhodes and I don't like playing organ on weighted keys) and keybed, and I will be using a pair of Grado's.

Thanks very much for your help. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a P80 from about 2001 to 2003. The piano sound was good (today's pianos are better). The action, though a little heavy, was solid. Roland pianos from that era were not great; they have since caught up. The RD-300sx/FP-4 keybed is a little light -- some say it's a little mushy. I have one and actually enjoy playing it. The piano sound is a step up from the P-80. You might be able to get an FP-4 cheaper than an RD-300sx (they're pretty much the same board). It has fewer bells and whistles (no pitch bend/mod wheel primarily) -- it's really designed to be a stage piano.

• Members

I guess it makes no sense to get the P80, then. It's just that the RD series are so common, I have played several of them and was looking for a new flavor. However, I think it also makes no sense to get the P95 for just 100

• Members

Hey, everyone,

I've been playing a Korg C-720 for three or four years now. I'm tired of it and I am looking for a portable piano. Not a Korg, this time. I understand mine is top of the line (before the SV, anyway), but I really don't like the sound or the keys.

So, I in Europe (Milan) and I'm looking for something used. I've tried some pianos and I liked the P95 and P155; the new Roland FP-7 is also very nice. I was disappointed with the Kurzweil PC3LE, however.

I've been looking for ads and I've found several Yamaha P80 and some Rolands (RD 300 SX, FP9, RD 600).

What's your opinion on the P80, and how does it compare to the newer models? Also, would an RD 300 SX be better than a 600? What are your thoughts on Roland vs Yamaha? The Yamahas sounded more clear to me.

I only care about acoustic pianos (I've got a real Rhodes and I don't like playing organ on weighted keys) and keybed, and I will be using a pair of Grado's.

Thanks very much for your help.
:)

I have a Roland RD300GX - very nice. Keys are nice balance of weightiness w/out being overly heavy, thus making the overall weight of the board fairly light. Better sounds than the RD300SX, I think. Rhodes is pretty good though if you have real one you may not be impressed - still, if it's "passable" then you wouldn't have to drag your Rhodes out w/you when you gig out at places or go to rehearsals/jam sessions. Clavinets are cool too. Strings are passable. Plus there's a few synth sounds that could get you by in a pinch.

My pop just got a Casio Privia PX-330 - which he is digging... and it is lighter still, at 26 lbs.! :cool:

• Members

Thanks for your help, GigMan. ;) I think the RD300GX would be too expensive for me. And, although I want something portable, I won't be gigging more than 2 or 3 times a year, so anything under 20kg is ok.

I have now been looking at the Yamaha CP33, since it seems to be on the same league as the RD300SX, but with better keys. I should again mention that I mostly care about acoustic piano and keybed. What do you think about the sound difference?

I've also checked the FP4. Is it much better than the RD300SX for piano only?

The CP33 is slightly more expensive than the RD300SX. Would you think it's worth it?

Thank you very much for helping me. :)

• Members

I really like the P90, and for such a low price I'm tempted. It's very small and simple, just what I was looking for. Now I don't know if it would be worth to pay almost twice as much to get the CP33. Anyone?

Yamaha's P90 was a solid keyboard, nice action, good piano sounds. :thu:

If all you want is acoustic piano sounds for a cheap price - definitely get the used P90 (for cheaper than the CP33) and be done w/it. :cool:

• Members

Yep, acoustic pianos and action are all I care for. Have you played both? You think that the improvement in piano sound on the CP33 is not that big?

Thanks for your help.
;)

I have tried out both P90 and CP33 in music stores at one time or another - but never side by side, since the P90 was discontinued some years ago... I'm guessing the CP33 is probably a better sounding instrument, since it's newer technology but if you don't want to shell out the bucks - I am remembering that the P90 was very good as well.

• Members

So I had decided to go with the P90. I tried it again for an hour with my headphones and liked it. The price is all right and it includes a few extras. But now I heard of some metalic ringing and read some very old posts in which people seem to think the P80 is better than the P90. What do you think about this?

• Members

I used to have a P80. It was my first DP after not having an acoustic piano for a number of years. At first, I liked the piano sounds, but after a couple years, I could no longer stand them. Playing it would drive me up the wall. This led me to buying Gigastudio, a software sampler you run on computers, which you can load piano samples into. My plan was to play that from the P80. I then discovered that the P80 was a horrible midi controller, with cryptic menus and limited functionality, unlike the controls for the built in sounds, which are very intuitive and easy to use. Plus, the keybed has a hard plasticy bottom out which got to my hands, and the action was heavy, but otherwise a very good action.

I gave up on the P80 and got a Kawai MP9500, which has much better piano samples, and a powerful midi controller.

I would never recommend the P80 to anyone. The technology on the P80 is over ten years old. The computer technology its based on is hundreds of times more powerful and cheaper nowadays, and any newer keyboard, either Yamaha or some other brand, will be much better. A used Kawai MP4 would be a better choice, if you can find one. I would also look into the Casios. Their digital pianos are low in price, and though I've never played one, their reputation is they have great sound and great action for the price, and are very light.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi again,

I am about to buy a P80. Now this is based on the hours I spent playing the P90. I liked the sounds and how you could play with the brilliance controller; the AP sounded good to me, and the price is right. I realize it's not a new piano, but I think it's perfect for what I want. Before I go for it and finally stop asking questions here, would anyone tell me if the sound of the P80 is much different from the one of the P90? Having liked the P90, is there a chance I will find the P80 very different and not like it?

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Edit: also, is the wooden bass sound as cool as the P90 one? That's really funny to play with.

• Members

Hi again,

I am about to buy a P80. Now this is based on the hours I spent playing the P90. I liked the sounds and how you could play with the brilliance controller; the AP sounded good to me, and the price is right. I realize it's not a new piano, but I think it's perfect for what I want. Before I go for it and finally stop asking questions here, would anyone tell me if the sound of the P80 is much different from the one of the P90? Having liked the P90, is there a chance I will find the P80 very different and not like it?

Thank you very much for your help.
:)

Edit: also, is the wooden bass sound as cool as the P90 one? That's really funny to play with.

Yes, that is exactly what will happen. No joke... :cry:

Just because you liked the P90 - which is newer technology than the P80 - what on earth makes you think you'll like the P80?

I mean, going the other way around (seeing/hearing the P80 and then buying the P90) would make sense but not your way.

• Members

Well, it's the same brand and one model followed the other. They look alike, so I thought the improvement would not be huge, otherwise they would have bothered changing the looks. So it is much worse, then...

• Members

Well, it's the same brand and one model followed the other. They look alike, so I thought the improvement would not be huge, otherwise they would have bothered changing the looks. So it is much worse, then...

Umm... I don't know how much worse but cjsm states (several posts up from here) that he wouldn't recommend it... I remember the P90 - it was a solid digital piano. The P120 as well - which had the built-in speakers.

The obvious question here is this: if you played a P90 and liked the sounds on the P90 - why not just buy a P90?

• Members

First, because of the metalic ringing; I suppose it would turn out to be irritating and I don't want to risk. Secondly, because the used market here is limited, and I can't find one for sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, after all this time I am now inclined to just go with the CP33. This will be my main instrument, may I should spend the extra cash.

Anyway, now it's the time to find the best possible deal on one. The best price I have found so far is 830

• Members

P80 was a very good stage piano, if you care only about piano sounds this boards is for you. (or newer yamaha stage P??)

I had P80 for 2 years until I broke few keys and motherboard.

Archived