Another KRONOS Youtube from Rich Formadoni

EJ2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm still excited. And that LCD display really is enormous.

-----

Edit: Actually, it turns out that I have a question for anyone who can answer. The CX-3's key split feature is pretty cool, but I know that in program mode, MIDI note data is received on the global channel -- so it would likely be pretty difficult to engineer a split so that no notes were duplicated across both the Kronos' keyboard and an external board, if one is looking for some dual-manual fun. In combi mode, that problem disappears -- just set up two CX-3 programs, with each responding to a separate MIDI channel. My question is this, though: in combi mode, do you still retain full drawbar control over a CX-3 program? (Like through Tone Adjust or any other method.)

-----

Son of Edit: And while I'm at it, another question. Assuming that full drawbar control of CX-3 programs is retained in combi mode, what would be the best way to handle drawbar adjustments across two such programs? (Say, combi slot 1 being mapped to the Kronos on the upper shelf of a two-tier stand, and slot 2 responding to MIDI channel 2 from another board on the bottom shelf. The program in slot one would be set up for upper drawbars only with percussion, and the program in slot 2 would be set up for lower drawbars only, no percussion.)

So far, as I understand it, I've got this hypothetical combi set up to roughly approximate a dual-manual organ. But now the question arises of how to handle drawbar adjustments for each manual. If the drawbars are controlled only through SysEx, then I assume that it probably isn't possible to adjust them on the program in slot 2 using, say, the sliders on an M3 -- if that were my bottom-tier board. What would be the best way to do the adjustment, then? Touch the screen to select program 2, then do the adjustments on the Kronos' sliders, as normal? And can a CX-3 program be set up for combi mode so that the faders by default map to the lower drawbars, instead of the upper?

Or am I making this way more complicated than it needs to be?

Hope that makes sense.

• Members

I've noticed an unusual behaviour of the keyboard. When you press a couple of keys harder, the whole keyboard seems to be moving downwards independently of the rest of the synth. See the video between 5:40-6:00 marks. This is something I've never seen on any other synth.

Also, does Kronos 61 have after touch?

Last, we need more demos of MOD7. Bells are nice, EP is nice but I look forward to replacing my DX7 with the Kronos and I would welcome some extended demos of the MOD7 engine. I'm especially interested in hearing some warm brass, xylos, marimbas, blown pipes, warm organic pads, electric bass and vocaloid choirs that the DX7 excells at. The weirdness and aggressive stuff is too common, not worth a demo IMHO.

• Members

I've noticed an unusual behaviour of the keyboard. When you press a couple of keys harder, the whole keyboard seems to be moving downwards independently of the rest of the synth. See the video between 5:40-6:00 marks. This is something I've never seen on any other synth.

Yeah, I was going to say you might be looking a little too closely, but once I did it was definitely true. Odd.

I agree about the MOD-7 engine. I'd like some demos of how you can use it to manipulate sample oscillators, as I'd be hoping to buy a Kronos instead of a Nord Wave or Blofeld AND Roland RD700-NX. Two birds in one board would be nice......

• Members

That key bed definitely looks loose. In other shots you can see the whole key bed bouncing independently of the case.

• Members

Hi folks,

You're not crazy, the keybed is a bit loose. Please disregard the state of my prototype 61-key. This was hand-assembled outside of our production facilities, and has undergone numerous... "experiments." :)

Citizen Klaus, yes, you still have drawbar control in Combi mode... and you can specify which drawbars (upper, lower) are being controlled from within Tone Adjust mode. So, one solution might be to use a dual-manual CX-3 program, keep the sliders in Tone Adjust mode, and asign a few drawbars to upper and the remaining ones to lower. I know it's not full control, but it's an option. If you don't mind using knobs, you can also assign the 8 knobs above the sliders to drawbar controls, thereby giving you all 9 drawbars for one manual, and 8 for the other.

Regarding MOD-7, in some of my videos I play a digeridoo sound... That's utilizing a PCM sample. We'll have more audio demos up for you soon.

And yes, all three versions have pressure-sensitive aftertouch.

Hope this helps.

-Rich :thu:

• Members

It does sound great... I love the korg sound/(samples) for some reason, especially the pad like sounds...

Still going to wait for the next kurz before deciding though.

I wonder how well it would do on "evildragon's piano test".

• Members

Please disregard the state of my prototype 61-key. This was hand-assembled outside of our production facilities, and has undergone numerous... "experiments."
:)

Hmmm... when you come to Chicago-land, can I bring my tools? I'd love to tear someone else's open for a change. :) It's not like you can't get another one!

BTW, when ARE you coming to Chicago-land? Since my NAMM badge never showed up, I'd hope I'd be at least invited to a Kronos event...

Jus' sayin' :)

BTW, this is probably the best Kronos demo so far... thanks!

• Members

Regarding MOD-7, in some of my videos I play a digeridoo sound... That's utilizing a PCM sample. We'll have more audio demos up for you soon.

From what I've heard from other Korg reps on here thus far, as well as from Oasys owners, is that MOD-7's architecture allows for samples to be a source for frequency modulating oscillators, but not the other way around. That's more or less fine, as the same is true for the Nord Wave, which is billed as a sample manipulation synth. However, my understanding goes that on the Kronos you can still modulate the pitch of samples via LFOs and other modulation sources. Am I correct on all of that Rich?

I'm just hoping to be able to do pretty much everything I could do on a Nord Wave. I've heard that you can't modulate a sample with another sample ala the Waldorf Blofeld, but the additional effects and filters present on the Kronos could definitely outweigh that fact for me.

• Members

From what I've heard from other Korg reps on here thus far, as well as from Oasys owners, is that MOD-7's architecture allows for samples to be a source for frequency modulating oscillators, but not the other way around. That's more or less fine, as the same is true for the Nord Wave, which is billed as a sample manipulation synth. However, my understanding goes that on the Kronos you can still modulate the pitch of samples via LFOs and other modulation sources. Am I correct on all of that Rich?

Pretty much! In MOD-7, you can manipulate the different elements (PCM, VPM oscs, mixers, filters, noise generator, audio input) with a patch bay. The PCM sample element has an output, but not an input, so it can be used as a modulator, but it can't be modulated by one of the VPM oscs.

You can, however, modify the PCM with any AMS source, keyboard tracking, Waveshaping, filters, or any of the internal effect processors. I'd recommend digging heavily into Waveshaping... There's a lot of fun to be had there. :)

• Members

Pretty much! In MOD-7, you can manipulate the different elements (PCM, VPM oscs, mixers, filters, noise generator, audio input) with a patch bay. The PCM sample element has an output, but not an input, so it can be used as a modulator, but it can't be modulated by one of the VPM oscs.

You can, however, modify the PCM with any AMS source, keyboard tracking, Waveshaping, filters, or any of the internal effect processors. I'd recommend digging heavily into Waveshaping... There's a lot of fun to be had there.

Will do!

I can't wait to try one of these out :)

• Members

Hmmm... when you come to Chicago-land, can I bring my tools? I'd love to tear someone else open for a change.

Thanks for the kind words... but your wording makes me want to stay veeeery far away. :)

• Members

94.0938475% of the people who will buy the Kronos will probably use 2 synth engines at the most. If I ever get one, I will abuse HD-1 like a red-headed step-.......hmmm................-sequencer.

I lol'd... I'll give you credit when I steal that. :)

• Members

Thanks for the kind words... but your wording makes me want to stay veeeery far away.

Nah, it's all good. I've had more Korg gear apart than most service centers. And some of it even got put back together! And it worked!!

Seriously, do you have any Kronos demos anywhere near Chicago before they ship? If not, you're coming to STG's Synth Fest, right? I'll cover your admission fee...

• Members

94.0938475% of the people who will buy the Kronos will probably use 2 synth engines at the most. If I ever get one, I will abuse HD-1 like a red-headed step-.......hmmm................-sequencer.

I'm one of those who will mainly use MOD7. I love all hardware synths that go beyond the DX style synthesis which even in its original form is a bottomless engine.

• Members

I'm one of those who will mainly use MOD7. I love all hardware synths that go beyond the DX style synthesis which even in its original form is a bottomless engine.

It'll be predominantly MOD-7 and SGX-1 for me, but I definitely can see myself poking around each of these synth engines. HD-1 and STR-1 both look like could yield some really interesting results, and it

• Members

I'd use all of the engines, in depth, but karma, arps and drums, sequencer and audio tracks, not so much. Though, with the built in sequencer and audio, it MIGHT tempt me to do some stuff where I fly in some extra parts on some songs that I can't play, if I can convince my drummer to play along to a click for a few songs here and there.

• Members

I'd use all of the engines, in depth, but karma, arps and drums, sequencer and audio tracks, not so much. Though, with the built in sequencer and audio, it MIGHT tempt me to do some stuff where I fly in some extra parts on some songs that I can't play, if I can convince my drummer to play along to a click for a few songs here and there.

If you're the singer and there are no backup vocalists for the type of songs you perform live, the Kronos could be your only other band mate. But that will kill the charm of a real band.

You could do it on the side though, to make more money. But the work involved in programming everything yourself into the machine will probably equal, if not surpass, that of the entire band.

Regardless, one thing is for certain: as the keyboardist of your band, you will love the SST feature of the Kronos and you may not even need to use more than 2 keyboards live!

• Members

Citizen Klaus, yes, you still have drawbar control in Combi mode... and you can specify which drawbars (upper, lower) are being controlled from within Tone Adjust mode. So, one solution might be to use a dual-manual CX-3 program, keep the sliders in Tone Adjust mode, and asign a few drawbars to upper and the remaining ones to lower. I know it's not full control, but it's an option. If you don't mind using knobs, you can also assign the 8 knobs above the sliders to drawbar controls, thereby giving you all 9 drawbars for one manual, and 8 for the other.

Thanks for the reply, Rich. It looks like creating a dual-manual setup will be a bit more difficult than with the hardware CX-3 (where you can just plug in a second board and set the lower drawbars' MIDI receive channel to match), but the Kronos should still be able to do what I want it to.

• Members

Karma might surprise you, Dan. :poke:

I thought I'd never use it but there are
many
generated effects ("GEs" in karmaspeak) that have
nothing
to do with arpeggiation or other types of "autowanking".
;)

I'm sure once I dove in, I'd appreciate it. This would be mainly a live board for my cover band- so a lot of the bells and whistles would be limited to home use unless I had a specific need for a particular song we were learning. I wouldn't discount any of the features- just not sure how much some of them would be used outside of the synth engines.

• Members

Karma might surprise you, Dan. :poke:

I thought I'd never use it but there are
many
generated effects ("GEs" in karmaspeak) that have
nothing
to do with arpeggiation or other types of "autowanking".
;)

I'm just now learning howto use Karma to quickly introduce variations in drum patterns. I'll eventually look into using it for wave sequencing for animated pads.

What are some example applications you've come up with for Karma?

Archived