Voyager Owners

Crazyfoo

• Members

I've only had my Voyager for a few weeks, and still learning the ins and out, and so far I'm loving it.

What do you guys recommend for the first couple of Moogerfoogers?

What can I expect from each one? I'd like to get a couple but not sure which are the 'must haves' for the start.

I went browsing the Moog site and there's so many to choose from so I was wondering which ones you guys suggest to get first.

Thanks

:wave:

• Members

i'd go with the VX-351 and then skip the rest- if you want to expand from there, go with some dotcom modules and a small cabinet, i think that's more flexible and elegant than rackmounted stomp boxes and won't break the bank.

• Members

I've owned (and sold) a lot of Moogerfoogers after trying them out and finding them horribly overrated and overpriced.

It may be worthwhile to get a reverb and a delay unit of your choice -- I'm eyeing an Eventide Space, for instance.

Of all the Mooger Foogers, I found the Phasers weak compared to other phasers (like a Small Stone or something -- which is cheap!), and the Analog Delay was inferior to Malekko's much cheaper delay. The FreqBox just wasn't useful, and the Murf was rather gimmicky. I think the Ringmod was kind of interesting, say, on electric piano or something, but I didn't keep it. The devices are also way too large for what they contain. While I thought I was in love with Moog generically, I'm not at all. The Moog has a lot of thickness, and that doesn't really lend well to the processing. I can see it maybe with guitar, but then, there are better/cheaper pedal options -- and a lot of those pedals don't play nice with synths either (i.e. what they can do to a guitar is a lot more impressive and with synths not so much).

I really don't recommend guitar pedals with synths either, especially distortion, but I get decent results out of reverb and delay. I don't really think the synth needs much more.

They make a very very very good synth (and it's well built and awesome, if not always having great teeth), but the other stuff, and the brand, is pretty overpriced.

I haven't tried the Vx-351 yet, I can see that being useful, and I agree, if I wanted crazy effects I think the modular stuff is cheaper and more interesting. I might also be eyeing a Sherman Filterbank at some point, who knows.

• Members

I would recommend you get the Moog Voyager Training DVD instead. It does a nice job of walking you through the basic sonic possibilities of the Voyager, then introduces the VX-351 Control Voltage Expander and CP-251 Control Processor. Some excerpts from this DVD are on Youtube.

So first, use the DVD to help you explore the sounds you can get with your Voyager and no additional gear. You may find you actually don't need any. Does adding a Moogerfooger filter pedal really make sense to you if you already have a filter inside the Voyager, for example? Then study how the VX-351 and CP-251 are used in the DVD. Those are probably the two most practical pieces of gear to add on to the Voyager. You might notice you have a bunch of control voltage inputs on the Voyager but no matching CV outputs. To get those CV outputs, you'll need the VX-351. The CP-251 is a practical tool for mixing, routing, summing, attenuating etc. multiple CV signals.

So in summary, make sure you really need more sounds other than what is in the Voyager already. The two most practical pieces of gear, aside from possibly delay/reverb, to add on to the Voyager are the VX-351 and CP-251. Then spend time with those two in addition to the Voyager to see if you still need more stuff to add on.

• Members

I've owned (and sold) a lot of Moogerfoogers after trying them out and finding them horribly overrated and overpriced.

The main reason I've kept a couple of Moogerfoogers around is they make for pretty decent modular synth components.

The Freqbox in particular is a weird guitar / synth effect that I would personally find useless except for noise. But it is a most excellent Moog VCO. I guess the question is whether you really need a four-osc Moog... :idk: I've used it most with my FR XS.

I also have a MF-101, but I don't find I use it that much...

• Members

In my case the CP-251 came as a freebie with the Voyager and I bought the VX-351 and rack mount for the pair.

I think that the entire mooger-fooger line is designed more for guitarists than keyboardists or studio experimentalist, though as mentioned above some folks get good use as modular components. I personally don't think the pedal format would work well in my home studio with tight space, and the jack and power locations just make the things inconvenient for racking. I agree that going for traditional modules to expand your system is a better way to go. If you want to start going modular on top of that then you can go the synthesizers.com ("dotcom") module route and stick with 1/4" jacks or go some other format like Eurorack and use adapter cables and/or inexpensive passive modules like the MakeNoise "Format Jumbler" to patch in between.

If you don't want to start using your Voyager as the base for a modular system and want effects and pedals then based on the Foogers I have tried, I would look at the analog delay and the phaser. I haven't owned any foogers, but the one that I have tried that I like the most is the analog delay. If all you want is a clean delay with a flat response then the analog delay is probably not the best choice as there is heavy low-pass filtering to (I think) get rid of clock noise that arise through the bucket brigade chips. I would also get some sort of expression pedal to go with the delay so you can modulate the delay time by hand and make some trippy sounds.

Otherwise perhaps consider other effects pedals or a rack mount unit. There are some interesting Eurorack format effects modules out there too, which we can discuss in another thread or elsewhere maybe. I have only a couple - the little Doepfer effects module (clean but poor for real time voltage-control) and the Flight of Harmony Sound of Shadows (touchy as hell but capable of cool and weird-ass funky-trippy noises outside the usual realm of delays) digital delay.

We all know what a cool and weird-ass funky trippy noise is right? :facepalm:

Archived