Lightweight Synth with Premium Sound Quality

benj00

• Members

Hi,

I'd like some feedback on what the best option for a lightweight (under 20 pounds) synth would be. Currently I use a Juno DI with a Nord Stage Compact EX for my top 40 cover band. I have found the Roland's synth sounds to be somewhat flat in comparison to the stage's. The wave memory on the DI is 64mb (versus 256mb on the fantom g) and I assuming this is the big issue.

Do you have to buy a top of the line workstation (motif, fantom, etc) to get the higher quality sounds? I don't really use a sampler or sequencer live right now,(running logic at home) and thus don't want to add the weight to my stage rig. However I do want something with a wide range of synth/pads/etc to compliment the nord and not sound chintzy in comparison. A good software editor is important as well, as I do a fair amount of splits and layering and tweaking of patches.

Thanks!!

Ben

• Members

Hmmm,

The M50 seems to have the higher quality samples and it really doesn't weigh much more than the ps60, which seems to be the korg equivalent to the juno. The m50 seems to be more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Ben

• Members

I have it and the M3. I gig the M50 (because I don't use samples live) and it's VERY light. M3 sounds can also be used on the M50. Tack on that they go fairly cheap on the used market and it's an all around winner.

• Members

The M50 has better sounds than the PS60 you can be sure of that one. Different engine. The PS60 is still a good live board with cool action (really heavy). I would take it over the Juno any day. If you can learn to play the Micro keys, the Microstation is great. Great editor, great sounds same as M50 or very close, portable, inexpensive ($599), a sequencer, and a really killer SD card for Hammond/piano sounds if you buy from Sweetwater. I find the keys fun once you adjust and there is always midi. 2 tier organ anyone? Very flexible RIG with the NORD.

Of course the M50 is dope.

• Members

Hmmm,

The M50 seems to have the higher quality samples and it really doesn't weigh much more than the ps60, which seems to be the korg equivalent to the juno. The m50 seems to be more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Ben

They are about the same. The PS60 just has a performance oriented setup but it's your money. Either will do nicely.

• Members

I'd like some feedback on what the best option for a lightweight (under 20 pounds) synth would be. Currently I use a Juno DI with a Nord Stage Compact EX for my top 40 cover band. I have found the Roland's synth sounds to be somewhat flat in comparison to the stage's.

I do want something with a wide range of synth/pads/etc to compliment the nord and not sound chintzy in comparison. A good software editor is important as well, as I do a fair amount of splits and layering and tweaking of patches.

The Korgs people have mentioned so far are nice pieces, but if you're looking for synth sounds and pads, you might also want to consider an actual "synth" as opposed to the "romplers with synth functions" that all those Korgs are. You didn't mention price range, but there are plenty in the desired weight range. Nord Wave, Waldorf Blofeld, Prophet '08 (just a hair over 20 lbs), Korg R3 or MicroKorg, Roland SH-201 or Gaia... The main drawback is most have little-to-no split and layer functions, but they do give you real synth functionality with generally rich "VA" sounds (some better than others). I don't know the ins and outs of all of them, but the Nord Wave is bi-timbral and does let you layer two sounds... you can't split, but you could drive one sound from its internal keyboard while driving a second sound from a zone of your Stage, effectively giving you that split. The Blofeld is multitimbral. I think the rest are monotimbral.

[correction: R3 is bi-timbral with layer and split]

Archived