March New Gear Thread.

mildbill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOW! MuzikB serious stuff. Had the ensemble once. Be prepared to never look back. The converters are the best period. What are you going to use the Slim Phatty on if I may ask? Maybe just cause?

Will have the Microsampler any day now and will post my boring photo of it. Until then bad KARMA to do so yet.

• Members

WOW! MuzikB serious stuff. Had the ensemble once. Be prepared to never look back. The converters are the best period. What are you going to use the Slim Phatty on if I may ask? Maybe just cause?

Will have the Microsampler any day now and will post my boring photo of it. Until then bad KARMA to do so yet.

I'm grabbing an Ensemble in the near future because of the excellent preamps and converters in it as well as it's ability to work with Pro Tools 9 without a hitch.

The Slimphatty was someone finally getting the modern Monosynth right IMHO. Simple, sounds great, and no menu diving. I've had a Voyager RME and an SE-1X and didn't like the idea of menu diving on a mono. Money permitting, one can also expand it for polyphony. It's for general use and It's got 3 preset patches that I already love.

Tell me what you think about that Microsampler. There's a cat here that uses it for Drum & Bass mashups. He seems to like it a lot.

• Members

tell me how that PPG emulator is, i've had my eye on replacing my Microwave XT with it since i'm trying to downsize my studio.

PPG 2.V was a Deep House dream machine over in Europe. After hearing it in some works from Germany, I had to have it. Just wanted to wait for the 3.V. I loved the PPG filter in the Blofeld and all my custom patches used it. The PPG 3.V software arrives tomorrow. I'll keep you informed. :thu:

• Members

Will do. I can't wait to dig deep into it but for now it will have to double duty as a preset machine believe or not. I will be using it for recording and sampling in conjunction with my Boss RC-50 live as well. I know crazy and un-orthadox but I decided to avoid the whole Ableton Live thing and coinciding controllers and decided go more linear with Studio one Pro and a good pre and mic. Limited budget so outboard gear in the home studio it is for now. No computer live either.

I think the slim phatty is going to be a huge hit. Just pick your keyboard controller of choice and go. I did hear it is not identical sounding to a little phatty. The keyboard on the little phatty was always a turn off for me. On the contrary I cannot understand the Voyager RME, when the Voyager Keyboard is one of the best I have ever played. It practically played itself.

• Members

What's the build quality like on the LP rack?

I've got really put off this keyboard after what some people have said about the keybed, does the rack have a good build to it? Sturdy buttons etc?

It's pretty solid. The only buttons I'd worry about are the 2 under the display. One's a pushbutton and the other isn't as affixed to the board as solid as the output button. Likely because of it's position by the display. I still consider it a solid piece and tested them out in the store before taking it home.

• Members

OK, I cannot confirm that theory for sure. But I have heard that the build may be slightly different inside and maybe the presets could sound a little different due to programming. That could make the difference. Even Amos did not deny this. Check the MOOG website. I TROLL there a lot.

• Members

Finally...

macbook-pro11.jpg

Upgrading from a 2006 MBP. Flip-flopped on whether I should move to a desktop for a good while, but once they got the MBPs to quad core/Sandy Bridge machines... it was a pretty easy decision for me.

Now, time to find a really awesome bass (but hopefully not too soon...)

• Members

I just finished a boombox/coffehouse PA project I've been concocting.

223713d1299529876-march-2011-new-gear-th

223714d1299529876-march-2011-new-gear-th

Ordered a pair of 6x9 speaker boxes and some 3-way Alphasonik drivers, wired it all up, stuffed the box with some acoustic fiberglass and screwed on some latches, handles and rubber feet.

Gets very loud and has some nice hard hitting bass considering the small package. I've also got a 10" Alphasonik powered sub that can be used in conjunction with these for when I need a more powerful full range system.

PFZ693E.png

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Members

this isn't new per se- i bought it on the cheap in a right-place-at-the-right-time eBay auction and shelved it while i hunted down a competent bay area synth tech. finally, it's restored. everything is original on this with the exception of new bushings and new electrolytic capacitors, this is about as nice as original minimoogs come.

mini_3.jpg

• Members

this isn't new per se- i bought it on the cheap in a right-place-at-the-right-time eBay auction and shelved it while i hunted down a competent bay area synth tech. finally, it's restored. everything is original on this with the exception of new bushings and new electrolytic capacitors, this is about as nice as original minimoogs come.

mini_3.jpg

It looks great! But from the pic it seems you already had one?

• Members

I just finished a boombox/coffehouse PA project I've been concocting.

223713d1299529876-march-2011-new-gear-th

223714d1299529876-march-2011-new-gear-th

Ordered a pair of 6x9 speaker boxes and some 3-way Alphasonik drivers, wired it all up, stuffed the box with some acoustic fiberglass and screwed on some latches, handles and rubber feet.

Gets very loud and has some nice hard hitting bass considering the small package. I've also got a 10" Alphasonik powered sub that can be used in conjunction with these for when I need a more powerful full range system.

PFZ693E.png

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Members

that's awesome.
:thu:
now you're already to play the saftey dance.

:lol: Thanks!

So if you guys were in the market for something like this, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

My friends and family think I should build these and sell them online and at flea markets, street fairs etc.

It sounds better than any of the boomboxes at Best Buy and it's way more durable.

• Members

That's a pretty awesome setup you have there, Plaid. What specifically do you plan on using it for? I'd say $350 to $400, if you were going to price it.

Thanks. Mostly using it for casual listening in the bedroom and also having something to take on vacation for use in hotel rooms or campsites with electricity.

I have thought it could be used for those situations when I'm playing a small gig. Then if I need to I can also bring along the powered sub I built for my home theater and use it as a very loud little 2.1 PA system:

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I was thinking more like $250 so $350 - $400 is encouraging. I've got maybe around $170 in parts and maybe about an hour and a half build time. That would lessen with experience once I get to building them more quickly.

Maybe $275 - $300 might be easier to swallow in this economic climate.

Of course, I've thought about buying one of those little rechargeable AC battery packs but I'm not sure how much run time I'd get out of it. Digital amps are supposed to be very energy efficient.

• Members

Psh, you're not supposed to tell people how much time it took to make, nor how many wild animals you had to battle to get the parts. Silly, silly.
:cop:

:lol: Well this is strictly confidential market research that stays right here in this forum... right? ;)

Seriously though, I'm thinking about it. I've already got lots of experience with graphic design so promotional/website materials would be taken care of. It's just the shipping thing that would kill me if I sell them online. It's a little on the heavy side but that's the price you pay for sound quality and durability.

I really think selling them locally, in person would be the best strategy. People could hear and see how great it sounds and how well they're built. Also that avoids a paperwork/income trail as well. FU*K the IRS!!!!!

Anyone here want to be my first customer? :p

Archived