Boost Pedal

• Members

I looked for a boost pedal that could handle line level and nothing could handle it. Right now i use a small mixer with prefader sends that i loop to a different stereo channel on the mixer. At solo time i slide up the fader on the "lead"channel and slide the fader back down when the solo is over.

• Members

I needed something that could handle +6dbv which is close to double +4 dbm - line level (i know i'm mixing dbv with dbm, engineers chime in and tell me how wrong i am) . I doubt any guitar pedal can handle that without at least smearing the signal if not outright distorting.

• Members

I only play organ sounds and no piano so i cant comment on a boosted piano solo sounding stupid. With organ in a rock band it doesnt sound stupid, it sounds good. What sounds stupid is taking a solo right after the lead guitarist and nobody can hear it.

I think rock guitars should sound loud especially during solos. I just want equal volume when its my turn to solo.

• Members

Why not just keep some headroom in your keyboard volume control?

Assuming you run through a PA and don't have a sound man... set the PA gain to handle 100% volume from your KB without clipping, then pull KB volume back to 70% and set the PA level to an acceptable volume for non-solo playing. When it's time to solo, slide the volume up a bit without crapping out the PA.

• Members

I use one of the Hammond Xk1 pedals; it is adjustable on the low end, so you can adjust the regular volume to be the "closed" position on the pedal, and then press down for the high level.

Since the low level is adjustable, you can set it up relative to the wide open pedal, so the upper limit is just what you want.

• Members

For those that play out with bands using normal piano sounds, when it's your turn to solo how do you turn up your volume? I find it hard to use the volume knob on my board. I was wondering if anyone uses a "Clean Boost" pedal for keyboards?

Thanks

I use the MXR Micro Amp to do exactly what you are asking about. It is the white one in the upper left of the pedal board. I set it to "5" and leave it alone, it does just what it is expected to do.

l.jpg

Archived