Recommend me good, cheap (hardware!) reverb and delay for my synths

• Members

For the past few months, my Line 6 M13 has been doing double duty for both my guitar rig and my keyboard rig--for keys, it has been a very good source of delay, reverb and occasionally compression. The only problem is, on the Sundays where I play both keys and guitar in the same set, it obviously presents a little bit of a logistical issue, to say the least.

So I would like to get a unit to dedicate solely to the keys. Rack unit or something floor-based like the M13 is okay either way. Buying a second M13 (or even an M9, for that matter) is not really an option because they are both more than I would like to spend.

I have never used rack-based effects so I am not very familiar with them. But I am guessing there are some units with good quality delays and reverbs, a little older perhaps, that go for reasonable prices on the used market.

• Members

I'd also recommend the Lexicon MX200. I have one and it sounds great, is user-friendly, and inexpensive. It's also stereo in/out, which some floor units are not, plus it has dual processors which can be used independently or together.

• Members

Ensoniq DP/4, perhaps? Very cool effects processor, these days you can get one for around $300 used. I don't know if that's "cheap" or not, but I think the effects sound nice enough to justify the extra dough.

• Members

Lexicon MPX 100

sound of a Lex for the price of a Boss

Yes, I second that - I have a Lexicon MPX110, sounded great when I used to use it w/mixers that had no FX built-in.

Now I have a Soundcraft MFXi8 mixer w/built-in Lex. effects, so I use the outboard MPX100 unit only occasionally - esp. on Halloween, when I set it up to change pitch on my voice to sound like a low-talking devil and scare the neighborhood Trick-or-Treaters as I say "WEEEELLLLCOOMMMME" in the Satan voice, coming out of my JBL EONs which are hidden in the bushes right by the front door - bwoooohahahahahha!! :facepalm::lol:

• Members

cheap yet great multi fx>

Boss SE-70

Ensoniq DP4

lex mpx-1 (the original "mid-end" mpx unit. new mpx units are low end, not up to par)

if you can, id recommend springing for a sml analog delay pedal for delay duties. theres nothing like an analog delay on a synth lead or arpeggio line. theyre jut meant to go together. also, its sound fantastic when you do subtle tweaks on the delay time. or not so subtle.. very musical and organic results..

something like malleko 616 , or EHX memory boy, or deluxe version (with foot pedal control of the delay time.)

also, reverb only options:

lexicon lxp15 II

roland srv330

• Members

Is the wedge really that great? Stereo or mono and how much did you pick yours up for?

i have wedge in andromeda. definitely belongs to pleasant suprises for peanuts (considering the wedge going prices).... it works great with pads, in general bigger spaces for synths when you dont need ultimate density/diffusion. also, i really like its delay with ability to HP and LP the feedback you can get impressive dubby and loungey delays. ive used it on many sequencerarpeggio type lines and leads. flexible delay section all together. i like it so much that i thought of picking up another standalone unit. awesome dela if u need something small in a live setting.

i less prefer its rooms, flangers and choruses.

• Members

Yeah, that's my impression. If it's really cheap, it'd be pretty interesting as a "delay pedal". I do not care for its reverbs at all though, and sold the Wedge I had for that reason. I use a Lexicon MPX-1 for most of my reverbs, sometimes 2C Aether on the software side.

• Members

I've just had a look at the MX200 and MX400. I've got two synths with just mono outputs but the MX400 has L and R inputs. MX200 at least has got an L (Mono). Is there any point of getting the MX400 in this scenario? I like the duality of the MX400 but no mono inputs?

• Members

I read that the Lexicon MX400 has +4 dB inputs. The same may be true of the MX200 - look up the specs just to be sure. You may or may not need a preamp between your synth and an MX400, since a lot of synths have -10dB outputs.

• Members

That would be strange. The MX reverbs are so popular and I've never heard or seen anyone running a synth through a preamp before the effect. I don't know, is this the case?

That someone that you saw is probably using a mixer. Mixers can easily boost a signal to +4 dB and in that sense can serve as preamps.

I first heard about the MX400's +4dB input level on a guitar players' forum. Guitarists complain the loudest about this because they are used to running their guitars into pedals that take -10dB input or less, and output straight to guitar amps which also take a signal level in that range.

What typically happens when you plug a -10dB output (such as a synth) into a +4dB input is unusually low output volume level.

Sorry for the confusion and possible worry. Just use a mixer with the MX400 and you should be fine.

• Members

That someone that you saw is probably using a mixer. Mixers can easily boost a signal to +4 dB and in that sense can serve as preamps.

I've just read the MX400 manual and it appears to be true. Only mixer connections are shown. I'd use it with a mixer anyway. I also read that you can use the menu to set the input and output to "mono mode" when you've got just a mono lead connected to the L socket.

• Members

i have wedge in andromeda. definitely belongs to pleasant suprises for peanuts (considering the wedge going prices).... it works great with pads, in general bigger spaces for synths when you dont need ultimate density/diffusion. also, i really like its delay with ability to HP and LP the feedback you can get impressive dubby and loungey delays. ive used it on many sequencerarpeggio type lines and leads. flexible delay section all together. i like it so much that i thought of picking up another standalone unit. awesome dela if u need something small in a live setting.

Just ordered one off of ebay for $75 shipped. I'll play around with it's delay and if I don't like it, it'll go on craigslist.

Archived