How does a digital piano compare itself to a acoustic piano?

• Members

When I was taking classical piano in college, all we had were electric pianos. As long as the electric piano has a nice heavy piano action you'll be fine.

At the time I would practice on an electric piano in school and then go home and practice on a Korg DW-8000. I lost track of how many weights I knocked out of the bottom of the keys due to being too heavy handed.

• Members

Yes, a digital piano will be fine for the first few or even several years. Some teachers are still very snobby about this, however, and won't even take on a student who doesn't own an acoustic.

The main thing that a digital owner will miss out on is the experience of how to control the dynamic range of an acoustic. This may have a noticeable effect on their marks in exams, which will almost certainly be taken on an acoustic piano, and probably a grand. The student who is used to playing on a digital will likely feel that it is impossible to make the acoustic piano quiet enough, as they will tend to play their digital at an attenuated volume. This can throw them for a loop, and cause them to hold back considerably, resulting in a lacklustre performance.

It doesn't take much to adjust, however, so I would recommend that any student who is preparing for an examination/concert/competition in which they will be playing on acoustic, arrange for some practice sessions beforehand, either on that instrument or a suitable equivalent.

• Members

The main thing that a digital owner will miss out on is the experience of how to control the dynamic range of an acoustic. This may have a noticeable effect on their marks in exams, which will almost certainly be taken on an acoustic piano, and probably a grand. The student who is used to playing on a digital will likely feel that it is impossible to make the acoustic piano quiet enough, as they will tend to play their digital at an attenuated volume. This can throw them for a loop, and cause them to hold back considerably, resulting in a lacklustre performance.

This is very important, and in this regard, acoustic pianos still win. :)

• Members

If you plan to move soon or plan to play out, go digital. If you are settled, you can get a good used piano for less (sometimes free plus moving) than any but the cheesiest digital. Do a little homework to identify the good local brands from 1890 to about 1940 and settle in to watch Kijiji or CL. Something will come by sooner or later. And it will be a REAL piano that plays and sounds just like a REAL piano. It will need tuning every year but, if you've made a decent deal, will not go down in value over time like a digital absolutely will do.

• Members

Can a digital piano be a fair substitute of an acoustic piano?

AT least in the first years?

This is the key. In the first years, you are mostly building finger strength, independence, and muscle memory. A digital with a reasonable hammer action will allow you to progress.

The downfall of digital pianos is in the more advanced techniques of musical interaction of the notes - you cannot learn how to make the real piano "sing" with the nuances of an advanced player unless you get time in on a real instrument.

• Members

There is a difference, but not enough to stunt anyone's musical growth. I enjoy having a digital piano around because I can throw on headphones and practice anytime without disturbing others in the house or the neighbors. Wished I'd had one when I had to practice while putting up with my little brother's comments (beating on him was frowned on in our home). The family can be sleeping or watching a movie I'm not interested in. It also keeps everyone in the house from growing tired of a piece I'm working through.

If it were me I'd get both unless I lived in an apartment where space and neighbors are an issue or if I moved often. Doug is right, you can find a decent upright without spending very much and a digital doesn't have to break the bank either. Keyboard magazine's March 2011 issue has several reviews of digital pianos in the $1,500 -$5,000 range. Yamaha, Kurzweil, Kawai, etc. offer some good 88-key digital pianos with weighted keys for around $1,000 new. History is full of amazing musicians who started their journey learning with humble instruments and discipline. It is also bloated with mediocre musicians possessing some truly awesome gear. Get a full sized keyboard that feels and sounds good to you and you'll be fine.

• Members

I think it is down to many factors, as groovatious rightly said an intune digital piano with a good action would always be better than an out of tune acoustic with a rough action. Its nice to get an acoustic piano for some gigs but most people find a good digital piano and good stereo speakers would do the business.

• Members

I played a stripped down gig in an auditorium, with some very dynamic passages on some of the songs - "One For My Baby" was just me and the singer.

I think one has to be able to adjust to the action du jour on what ever piano you happen to be playing on that day. My light action Stage EX responded effortlessly to the expression I needed. And the light action does not tire you out if you have to start banging Jerry Lee Lewis.

• Members

Piano action is like the difference between cars with standard and automatic transmissions. Someone who can drive standard can adjust to the situation at hand, but people who only drive automatic have a really tough time with standard. A person trained with weighted keys or an actual piano can adjust, but a synth-action only player's hands are not conditioned for the switch if the situation arises.

• Members

piano is not a cheap thing. When the child gives up you are looking at sunken cost. I brought a cheap toy version but close to the real thing. Although my neice dont play it now it only cost me RM99.00

Wow. Whatever could have made her lose interest with such an inspiring instrument to learn on?

• Members

most sub-$1500 pianos are better than sub $3000 acoustic pianos, and those acoustic pianos will sound {censored}ty after a short few years.

admit it, most upright pianos at people's homes sound {censored}ty, especially the old ones, even kawais.

if ya wanna get acoustic piano, u must get a very good one, like Petrof Upright for example. beautiful sounds....... about $5000-6000.

Archived