Using the Roland GAIA as a MIDI controller Keyboard?

krish

• Members

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is a real noob question, but I want to use the keyboard on my GAIA to control my Waldorf Blofeld. I plug the MIDI OUT of the GAIA into the MIDI IN of the Blofeld, but the keyboard doesn't seem to transmit anything as no sound comes out of the Blofeld when notes are played. I've made sure all the MIDI channels correspond etc. I can't find anything in the GAIA manual to address this either.

Incidentally, I can get my Korg X50 to control the Blofeld just fine, but would really like to use my GAIA for this if at all possible.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks in advance

• Members

Make sure the GAIA is set to transmit MIDI on channel 1, and that the Blofeld is set to receive MIDI on channel 1. This is usually the default setting for synths and controllers anyway, and it sounds like the Blofeld is already set to channel 1 since the X-50 is triggering it properly. This also rules out a faulty MIDI cable, which does happen.

• Members

Thanks Zoink,

I did check the MIDI channels were set correctly and I did see that section in the manual, but for some reason it just won't do it. Hopefully I don't have a faulty unit. When I get home I'll try triggering the X50 with the GAIA as well to see if that works.

• Members

none of the sliders transmit on the Gaia which is a REAL shame...only the knobs transmit..so no control of adsr with the adsr sliders via midi...

of course this lack of transmission of data for the sliders seems to have been overcome with the pay for editor but 'as is' there's no transmission

there is a open source editor being worked on for the Gaia but as yet this short coming has yet to be solved.

i'd add that if this does get solved then the Gaia as a hardware editor for many soft synths would be very good...also if it could access hardware synths that

lack knobs/sliders like the Venom, ultranova, microkorgXL and my blofeld

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

maybe if the roland dev team put out a firmware update that fixed all this nonsense, that would bring back some of the hope that the sh01 should deliver on in spades...that and separate midi channels for each tone and a OFF switch for the GM sounds!

Archived