pawn shop ripoffs

cyberpunx

• Members

I was a little low on cash this month and went to sell some synth modules to a local pawn shop, I had an emu b3, emu procussion, peavey dpm bass module, a kurzweil 1000px and a 1000sx and they only offered me 125 bucks for the whole lot!:mad:

on craigslist they go...

• Members

The neighborhood demographics around the pawn shop is a huge influence on what they will offer. The average visitor's desires and discretionary income has to be considered. The longer the item sits in the store the less profitable the item is so they factor in (usually by instinct and experience) the likelihood of someone purchasing the item and what they will pay for it. Even if you are just pawning the items, they are thinking ahead in case you never return. If you are in a larger area and you have time, then search for a shop where local patrons are more likely to pick up used gear at a more reasonable price. Good luck and I'm sorry about your current financial situation.

• Members

they make money off loan sharking, not out right sales. you'll get a better deal taking it to guitar center or sam ash or something.

I stopped using craigslist. I couldn't seem to get through to people that I was firm on a very reasonable price. I got too much of the "oh, I only have 50$" routine.

• Members

i've yet to buy anything off Craigslist but the way Ebay has been of late ??? & Pawn Shops are just way too high. if they have anything at all. really not a whole lot of alternatives other than to buy new. & the vintage market seems to be in the doldrums. so IDK.

• Members

I've bought a ton of stuff off craigslist, but I've never sold anything, so we'll see this time around. I got ALOT of emails from people wanting to pay via cashiers check and just all kinds of scammers. The pawn shops around here sometimes have good deals, I bought a gem prp8 digital piano for 100 bucks because it was "broken" I paid an extra 50 bucks online for a powersupply and it worked titty :-) Wish me luck!

• Members

i've yet to buy anything off Craigslist but the way Ebay has been of late ??? & Pawn Shops are just way too high. if they have anything at all. really not a whole lot of alternatives other than to buy new. & the vintage market seems to be in the doldrums. so IDK.

Despite the many complaints I've seen about the Feebay, in my experience they are still the best way to sell off something especially in comparison to the available alternatives. The best userbase worldwide audience for your product, and a better chance to not get ripped with the paypal protection scheme.

I don't care if they make a percentage off the sale as long as I'm making money off the sale. That's the cost of doing bussiness in return for the woirldwide consumer audience. You Just pass the cost on to the consumer by building the expected fees and paypal fees into your total lowest asking price.

• Members

Despite the many complaints I've seen about the Feebay, in my experience they are still the best way to sell off something especially in comparison to the available alternatives. The best userbase worldwide audience for your product, and a better chance to not get ripped with the paypal protection scheme.

I don't care if they make a percentage off the sale as long as I'm making money off the sale. That's the cost of doing bussiness in return for the woirldwide consumer audience. You Just pass the cost on to the consumer by building the expected fees and paypal fees into your total lowest asking price.

i agree that i was talking more as a consumer. i see less Auctions & more "Buy-it-now."

Archived