TI user GASs for PolyEvolver rack - redundant ?

cowby

• Members

Hi, I have TI and Radias where I love the mod seq'er of Radias alot.

I really want to buy a True analog synth to my setup PER are on my list. If I go for it and consider its structure (four oscillators per voice

• Members

I Had a PEK and PE DESKTOP for about a year. 5 voices were very important to me at the time. I really loved the ARP and SEQ on the PEK. What do you mean though by robust? Can you elaborate or give some specific examples, questions, ect...

Thanks

• Members

well, I very much like the mod seq'er of Radias and wondering if PER has such feature.

the sequencer for the polyevolver is actually more powerful than the radias, plus you get 4 sequences per program which should mean 16 sequences in a combo. you can also route the sequencer to more exotic locations.

the polyevolver's sequencer is especially useful since it can output midi. look it how this guy is using his to drive a modular system:

[video=youtube;P8QzNpCYmMM]

be aware the polyevolver does not really sound like a normal analog synth without careful programming- that's not what it's geared to do. it doesn't use VCOs, instead the pitch of the analog oscillators comes from digitally precise timing output; consequently, you literally have to program in "slop" to emulate VCO imprecision. there's no way to output the post-VCA signal prior to being digitized for the fx processor, either. don't get me wrong- it's one of my favorite synthesizers but few would disagree that its forte is not in traditional analog sound.

read the SOS review:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec04/articles/dspolyevolver.htm

and download the user manual:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/docs/Poly_Key_Manual_1.3.pdf

• Members

The Evolvers are great synths and the sequencers are very useful. Programming sequences on the PER using software looks pretty much in line with those Radias screen shots that you posted and based on the screen shots the Evolver sequencer can do more than the Radias.

What are your expectations from an analog synth? If you want to turn it on and get a pure analog tone that is radically different from the TI then, as Xpander said, you may be frustrated. For me, the Evolver sound is different enough from the Virus sound to justify their co-existence (to anyone except for the missus). But as much of that comes from the non-analog side as it does from the analog components.

A Tetra could be more suitable. Better still, for the same price as a new PER, you could get a nice analog monosynth like a Little Phatty or even a small modular system.

A little OT: How is the market in HK for non-Japanese synths? Can you buy a Moog, DSI or European synth off the shelf anywhere? I remember Tom Lee used to be the big store but I haven't been there since forever.

• Members

thanks all for your input.

AMangstwulf, yes here in Hong Kong ... Tom Lee should be the biggest music store but they only carry those big-3 (note XF still not arrived yet) + Moog. They used to carry Virus but may be they don't sell them well so they dropped Access or vice versa. And they just "re-carry" Alesis and got the dealership of Nord - Yeah! Oh... They also got Novation as well. That's it.

Back to my question:

Actually, I love the feature of Radias but I didn't like its sound that much. Or may be just me, I couldn't program the bass patch as of those found in Virus or other VA. May be what other ppl said : Radias have cold / digital sound .... But the mod seq'er is damn fun.

I torn between Tetra and PER but found that PER doesn't come with USB... Hey I only got 1 pair of MIDI I/O in my Orpheus sound interface.... And the PER itself doesn't have those knobby thingy..... Still have to decide what to get ..

BTW, Tetra can output MIDI or not?

• Members

Yes it does. Since it shares DNA with the Evolver sequencer I'll guess that it is a pretty decent outboard sequencer.

I'm a total Evolver fanboy but I'm actually of the opinion that the MonoEvolver Keyboard is the best bang for your buck. The Evolver can make some absolutely lovely pads using the digital oscillators but for me the strength of the Evolver are the huge, thick, in-your-face patches that don't really need more than one voice (but I do own an MEK and a Desktop, it's fun doing duophonic leads or solos over a drone/sequence). Not that I'd ever kick a PEK out of bed...

The Tetra, especially paired with the MoPho keyboard, would be my idea of a great, small footprint poly rig.

Are you going to do all of your sequencing via USB/computer? Do you use the Radias to seqence the TI?

• Members

angstwulf, I do my seq'ing mainly from Cubase. But it would be nice if the hardware has the mod seq'er feature. USB can make my life lot easier and sadly that Radias couldn't seq other external gears but arp out is okay.

• Members

The Poly Evolver's architecture has everything the Tetra does except sub oscillators and the feedback loop. But you can get subs by reserving one layer in combo mode for subs and the PE has more feedback/distortion options.

the sequencer for the polyevolver is actually more it's one of my favorite synthesizers but few would disagree that its forte is not in traditional analog sound.

i would! :lol:

saying it's not its forte indicates that it doesn't do it well. i think it can do it quite well. but, like you say, you have to program it to be warm and drifty like an old school synth.

• Members

saying it's not its forte indicates that it doesn't do it well. i think it can do it quite well. but, like you say, you have to program it to be warm and drifty like an old school synth.

i think your response captures the spirit of what i'm saying- you can do it, but it doesn't come completely natural, it's something you have to program in more than you would with something like an OB-8 or Jupiter-6. for me, the forte of the PEK is somewhere in its peculiarities: layering digital waves on the analog, the aliasing waveforms, the distortion that occurs when you run all 4 oscillators at high volume, the inclusion of feedback, distortion and bit-crunching in the signal path and presenting them not as effects but as part of the voice design. almost all of my patches combine at least 1 analog oscillator with at least 1 digital oscillator, that's where i find the most magic.

at the end of the day, i can't recommend the polyevolver more. it's my favorite contemporary synthesizer that doesn't require patch cords.

• Members

if you are going to expand Virus TI palette with something analog, something complementary to its abilities, you can do much better (more "analogue") than going with a hybrid PER/PEK. in my taste, if something complements TI best where it falls short, it would be a small, yet big sounding vintage analog monophonic that uses VCOs. it goes places in bass, where TI cant go, same with hi freq bandwidth. if youre working with a DAW, i.e. multitracking, one monophonic like Roland SH2, or SCI Pro One, or moog Prodigy/Source can be used for many things... big bass, smooth lead, arpeggio/sequence sounds, resonant sweeps.. also analog drum creation->sampling, and of course processing external audio thru its analog filters.

if you want polyphonic, it costs more to stay in VCO analog domain, than with hybrids like PER, or DCO-only machines like Tetra/Junos/JX etc... but IME it's totally worth it, as Xpander mentioned i'd look into Jupiter6, or JP4, OB8 etc.. - everyone into electronics with a sweet tooth for cholesterole induced analog sound, should have at least one good vco mono, and budget permitting, at least one big VCO poly :D.

my 0.02

• Members

agreed on all accounts :thu:

i think your response captures the spirit of what i'm saying- you can do it, but it doesn't come completely natural, it's something you have to program in more than you would with something like an OB-8 or Jupiter-6. for me, the forte of the PEK is somewhere in its peculiarities: layering digital waves on the analog, the aliasing waveforms, the distortion that occurs when you run all 4 oscillators at high volume, the inclusion of feedback, distortion and bit-crunching in the signal path and presenting them not as effects but as part of the voice design. almost all of my patches combine at least 1 analog oscillator with at least 1 digital oscillator, that's where i find the most magic.

at the end of the day, i can't recommend the polyevolver more. it's my favorite contemporary synthesizer that doesn't require patch cords.

Archived