14 Best Plug-In Drum Machines

MuzikB

• Members

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking at more and more drumming solutions.

Your welcome. I was looking for a software based more live drummer solution myself. I use STylus but I'n not a big fan of it.

• Members

wow i'm surprised battery was number one. i've had it for years but it would never play nice with my mpd 32. maybe i should revisit the manual or something. plus ez drummer and all that > ?

generally i use esx24 and/or ultrabeat in logic and i'll use one shot samples in the arrange window.

driven drum machines, gold baby, and countless other kits are usually quicker and easier to use as drag & drop + copy & paste than loading them into a sampler plug-in like battery and using midi. my 2c

• Members

Nerve looks really fun to use, but the price... and I'm not into a lot of digital drum synthesis so much. Been looking at FXp Geist and the new Spark by Arturia.

Heard good things about Geist. I'd go for it if I didn't use Logic.

• Members

Battery is like Reaktor for drums, with all of the control and sample manipulation options available; it really is amazing, and the level of detail it provides someone really wanting to sink their teeth in at a very granular level is phenomenal.

• Members

no AudioDamage... this list is irrelevant.

jk but they should be on this list.

No LinPlug RMV or NI Maschine (okay Maschine is not sold as a plugin independent of the controller) either. I think that RMV is pretty darned good really. It has some very nice features like automatic velocity mapping for a set of samples on a pad using a choice of different curves.

Audio Damage Tattoo deserves a mention for its ease of use, sound, and external control. Axon is cool but too niche.

• Members

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any mention of MOTU's BPM 1.5 either. On paper it looks stunning with 19GB of sounds including the samples from most every important hardware drum machine ever released - all recorded at 24/96! Any thoughts on this from anybody? Thinking of pulling the trigger - regardless of how good the UI is, just to have that sample library available!

http://www.motu.com/products/software/BPM

Doc

EDIT:

OOPS - didn't look close enough but surprised it came in so far back. Any idea why?

• Members

bah ppl have no taste, Tattoo owns

I didn't think so but I also don't think too highly of Battery or Stylus RMX over D16 TR Emulations and Geist.

I like these voting lists because it shows what the masses like and I don't like being all in-line with the masses.

Archived