New Hammond clones SK-1 and SK-2

Outkaster

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sick. Totally sick. Finally a legit Nord-killer. Do want. Only thing is...there's no mod or pitch wheels, which was why I always loved the XK so...being able to control the speed of the leslie is really really cool (even if totally unrealistic).

Still this thing is awesome. Funny how it shares the name of the famous Casio sampler.

• Members

Franz

Agreed. Finally something that will actually challenge Nord.....it's about time. I'd love to know how much this thing is going to cost. Any guesses what the price tag will be?

As someone who's always coveted a C2 quite lustily for awhile now, if the price is right on this thing i'd hit it in a second. Just need to hear more.

So far, sounds are really good though !!!

• Members

Wonder if this will be priced around the same as the Electro 3? Thoughts? I'm guessing since it's a single manual with apparently the same function... Much cooler drawbars...and well it's not...Red...

Early guesses on pricing?

• Members

WOW!!!

I owned an electro 2 and loved the electric pianos and clavs. They were my fav's of any keyboard until now. One thing I never got into was the Nord organs, even the C2.

I do not claim to even be an organ player so this is based on what I have heard others do.

The performances on the XK-1 and 3C just seem more authentic. I truly believe it is the combination of the hammond look, sound, and drawbars. These new boards have that hammond look and sound now with great elcetric pianos and clavs. The acoustic piano sounded a bit tinty but totally serviceable. It even goes under your arm and in the back seat of your car. This could be a nice in between for piano--organ players in tight spaces; add a 61 rompler or synth on top and look out, instant pro rig.

I bet these new babies would fit nicely in a Nord bag. lol

• Members

I'm not really sold on this. Real drawbars are cool and all, but I'm not really hearing anything in the video demos (in terms of B3 emulation) that I haven't heard from the Electro 3. And with Nord, you also get access to their sample library...

This Hammond does look mighty purdy, though.

• Members

Agreed. But it is a move in the right direction for Hammond and the MAP is likely to be around $1200.00. I thought the B3 presets were pretty cool for a newbie who needs fast organ sounds and the growling one was killer.

• Members

Nice boards and a smart move to attack Nord exactly at their weakest spot (for some): the lack of drawbars.

Although I don't see a need to part with my C1, if I were in the market at this time, this would be a must to test. However, the Wurlitzer sound in the video doesn't sound like it would do just ANY harm to even the old NE2.

• Members

I'm not really sold on this. Real drawbars are cool and all, but I'm not really hearing anything in the video demos (in terms of B3 emulation) that I haven't heard from the Electro 3. And with Nord, you also get access to their sample library...

It's hard to judge what an instrument is sonically capable of from a youtube demo. From what I've read, the Hammond XK-3c seems to be preferred over the Nords by most people who have tried both. (I actually don't think I've ever seen the reverse, though I'm sure there must be some people in that camp.) The SK1 is supposed to have the same sound engine as the XK-3c with a further improved leslie (but presumably no tube). Also, for organ, Hammond actions have generally been better than Nord's. So, for $500 less than an NE3, you could be getting better organ sound, better key feel, real drawbars, and the ability to split the keyboard to play two different sounds, without the previously typical Hammond tradeoff of something that weighs twice as much. (The SK1 may also include the typical Hammond feature of being a better MIDI controller than the E3, like the XK1, we'll see.)

The benefits of the E3 would be the sample library, which is terrific, and the exceptional piano section, which is functionally pretty bad if you're trying to play it from the E3's keyboard, but is great if you drive it from another (weighted action) board. And it's available with more than 61 keys, though that's another couple of hundred dollars. So each will have its takers... but strictly as an organ, the SK1 looks like a much stronger choice to me; and as a "do a gig with just one keyboard" board, I think the SK1 still has the edge because you can split the board.

Budget aside, if I was looking for a good organ board plus piano, I'd probably pick the Hammond. If I was looking for a good piano board plus organ, I'd probably pick the new (forthcoming) version of the E3 with the weighted action.

• Members

It's hard to judge what an instrument is sonically capable of from a youtube demo. From what I've read, the Hammond XK-3c seems to be preferred over the Nords by most people who have tried both. (I actually don't think I've ever seen the reverse, though I'm sure there must be some people in that camp.) The SK1 is supposed to have the same sound engine as the XK-3c with a further improved leslie (but presumably no tube). Also, for organ, Hammond actions have generally been better than Nord's. So, for $500 less than an NE3, you could be getting better organ sound, better key feel, real drawbars, and the ability to split the keyboard to play two different sounds, without the previously typical Hammond tradeoff of something that weighs twice as much. (The SK1 may also include the typical Hammond feature of being a better MIDI controller than the E3, like the XK1, we'll see.)

I've seen some people prefer the XK-3c over the Electro 3, and they usually tend to be extremely vocal about it. But I've also seen the opposite, and the split seems to fall along generic lines. People who play jazzier styles, where the raw tone of the drawbars is more important, seem to prefer the Hammond. But people who play rock styles, and need lots of overdrive, seem to prefer the Nord. I've read that the XK-3c's OD, while serviceable, can't get as nasty as the Electro 3's (and this despite that tube).

And while the general consensus does seem to be that the XK-3c's action is better for organ (Nord, from what I've read, seems to have put a slightly stiffer action in the Electro 3, presumably to make it less unappealing to pianists), I don't think I've seen anyone seriously complain about the Electro 3 for organ use. The superior controller functionality of the XK-3c is fairly well documented, though. (I kind of which they'd put a set of pitch and mod wheels on the SK-1, for this reason.)

And, of course, the elephant in the room is that I've seen a fair number of rockers prefer Korg's CX-3 engine to the Electro 3's. (Which seems fair; unlike the other two engines, I've actually heard the CX-3/BX-3 on mastered recordings, and I like what I hear.) I want to get an organ board of some sort this year, but I'm still not sure that I'll be able to scrounge the extra cash for a Kronos.

• Members

And, of course, the elephant in the room is that I've seen a fair number of rocker's prefer Korg's CX-3 engine to the Electro 3's.

Personally, for organ alone, having owned them all, I would definitely take a CX-3 over either an E3 or an XK1, and am thinking about buying a Kronos largely for this reason. I haven't played the XK-3c, though, so am not sure how that would compare.

I rarely take my CX3 to a gig, because it's heavy (38 pounds, in an uncooperative form factor), and because, since it only does organ, it ends up being a 3rd keyboard to bring. But if I replace it with a Kronos, it would be 10 pounds lighter, and then it could serve dual purpose as a CX3 and as a replacement for my 2nd-tier rompler function, to put above my 88 piano.

• Members

Kronos is very cool and it's CX3 sounds very good, but there is something about playing something that feels like and organ, it seems to help me play better. I almost bought an XK1 about a year ago. The SK1 is on my short list for sure.

• Members

wow. and i just recently bought a nord electro 3, which i happen to love by the way. if i waited a little longer maybe i would have considered this new hammond.

as far as the korg cx 3, i have the old school one. and ill be honest, after playing my nord electro 3, i {censored}ing hate the cx 3. i cant wait to get rid of it. ive never tried the newer cx 3 so maybe those are better.

• Members

Sick. Totally sick. Finally a legit Nord-killer.

whats with this "Nord Killer" exclamations all arround (ive read this on another forum too) ?!? i mean, fine if its to do with the lite form factor/size that reminds of electro, but as far as the sonics are concerned..

ime hammond XK series has already been a nord killer from day one. as an ex (real) hammond owner i cannot begin to tell you how much i dislike the plasticky dull sound of Nord hammonds. (their rhodes..even worse). i found XK3c, electro3 and c2 in a single music store, and spent cpl of hours playing em side by side. to me XK sounds and feels like a Hammond. nord lacks the correct high end, and extreme bottom. all that is left is soupy mids a la B4. your nord mileage may vary, mine lasted very few miles.

ok neither code for Leslie was perfect or entirely satisfactory, but still i like the hammonds digital rendition better. will see how the new version fares. anyways, if organ is a big part of your live sound, you gotta hook up the XK to some kind of real leslie .. a winning combination.

Archived