KARO Unison Orchestra for Kronos/OASYS (my demos)

• Members

I did these three demos for KARO Sound Development, using their new Unison Orchestra samples (aka KUO), along with some of the internal sounds.

Song 1

[video=youtube;Y0nGYoIHaek]

Song 3

[video=youtube;vHD_WgzVPO0]

Song 2 This one shows how it was put together (playing individual sounds). Note the nod to the ALIENS' "Bum....ba bum....bum Bum BUm BUM!" cue (3:17 mark).

[video=youtube;HxscJe4Fmrc]

I'm a "play it by ear" kind of guy. My experience is with Indie movie soundtracks, so it was really dang cool of KARO to host my little demos for this cool library.

• Members

Very nice, Mike. If I had orchestral compositional skills like that, I would use the much more real-sounding plug-ins such as Eastwest, etc. Your soundtracks will blow your audience's mind when you reveal to them it was you only, and not a real orchestra, lol.

I have never seen a sequencer where the timeline moves vertically.

• Members

Thanks, Mediterranean. I was playing one of these for someone and I have to tell you that it sounds 10 times better in person, without the Youtube compression and hiss from my camera inputs.

I have to admit that I've long pined after the East/West stuff and Nick Phoenix' Hollywood Strings, but I don't use a computer for composing. What I appreciate about this library is that it is just one gig of samples and has some nice "stacks" built in, so I can use 10 MIDI tracks, like one of those songs did, and get what I want. I'm not going to tell you this is better than working with Logic, because I've heard amazing results from DAWs. But, this is my current style and preference and I'm fairly productive this way.

I have never seen a sequence where the timeline moves vertically.

It doesn't, it goes left to right (though Micro Edit modes in many Roland and Korg sequencers use vertical lists). I was scrolling through the sounds/tracks (top to bottom), so you can see what program is on each track.

• Members

Seems compatible with Garritan Personal Orchestra so if it was priced at half where it's at, it would be a good addition to the Kronos.

Obvioulsy, Oasys owners don't care about price so they'll just buy it ;)

I would love to hear more demos though, if they'll prove me it's better than I think it is :)

• Members

...it goes left to right (though Micro Edit modes in many Roland and Korg sequencers use vertical lists). I was scrolling through the sounds/tracks (top to bottom), so you can see what program is on each track.

Trackers like ReNoise scroll from vertically. I tried the demo for ReNoise once and thought it was interesting but not for me. I could get used to it if it was the only game in town, but it is not.

How does one get around the low track limit for workstation keyboards when sequencing an orchestral piece? Bounce multiple tracks for one section to a meta-track and then combine meta-tracks? Does one take string section first, second, and third violins (for example) and bounce them to one "violin section" or something like that? I have zero education in orchestral composition. Being an engineer, the farthest I got was traditional Bach-like four part harmony in the baroque style that you learn in music theory 101/102.

• Members

I should clarify for anyone wondering - the Kronos can play any sound that the OASYS can. All OASYS programs are compatible with Kronos.

How does one get around the low track limit for workstation keyboards when sequencing an orchestral piece? Bounce multiple tracks for one section to a meta-track and then combine meta-tracks? Does one take string section first, second, and third violins (for example) and bounce them to one "violin section" or something like that?

Aside from recording to your DAW, there are different ways to do it. Back when I used multiple keyboards, I used to use Keyzone (note limit) all the sounds, so that I used the full MIDI note range of 10 octaves (C-2 to G8). I could easily put three or more instruments on each channel. For example: Channel 1 could have a Timpani (bottom 2 octaves), Pizzicatto Strings (6 octaves) and a bell (top 2 octaves). I would use the Transpose buttons on my Fantom to access whatever part of the range I wanted. This gave me more than 40 sounds, using 16 channels.

You can do this with one keyboard, provided you have enough oscillators to make splits, or you can do it with how you setup multisamples in Sampling mode.

An OASYS or Kronos has audio tracks and internal recording capability, so that would be one way. I use a simple trick of assigning Pan to Note Number. Since a pizzicato string section has the full range of Cellos, Violas and Violins, you can pan Cellos to the left, Violas center and Violins right (or vice versa) with just a single program. I especially like this trick with a Tremolo String section. You can play a couple of notes with the cellos on the left and answer with violins on the right. It sounds like different programs.

Another trick is to insert MIDI Program Changes into the sequence. This will change programs when a certain part of the song is reached. A flute can change to an oboe and then to a trumpet, etc. all on the same channel.

Envisioning the pit:

pit-diagram-overview12.jpg

060602Ashkenazysm.jpg

AdesCVDsm.jpg

The first thing you should notice is that there isn't a hard set arrangement; if you want 20 cellos and a harp, then so be it. Visualizing the pit will help you decide how to use pan settings and which instruments will be used.

• Members

Sounds great! Is there any RAM free after loading the samples?

KUO is 820,016 kb. The OASYS allows just over a gig and a half for user samples, with just the base "ROM" loaded, so I have 755,109 kb left over. This is meant to be used in conjunction with Korg's EXs 3 Brass and Woodwinds, which will take most of whatever RAM space is left. You don't have to load EXs 3, if you don't want to.

Kronos available RAM is around a gig or a little less, so this library should be a snug fit. However, you can delete multisamples (and associated samples) to make it as small as you want. If you don't need the Taiko Drum sets, then you can delete them (and other samples) to make room. EXs 3 streams from the Kronos hard disk, so it shouldn't need much RAM to buffer.

Archived