What's your backup for when your computer freezes during a gig?

uncle smeg

• Members

Carry a hardware board that you can switch instantly to in a pinch. Example: I use a MacBook Pro plugged into a Yamaha MOXF6 and all my audio from my laptop is on one slider while the volume of the Yamaha is on another. If one fails, I can instantly bring up the other. Knock on wood, that's never happened, but I also like layering sounds from both at times. MOXF also acts as my audio interface. Less crap to carry. Output of MOXF carries both internal and laptop signal to a Radial Pro D2 and then to a SpaceStation V3 amplifier and into FOH for a nice convenient easy to carry, easy to set up rig. Hope that helps. Other keyboards could act in the same way. Kronos does and probably others too. Haven't any further ... sometimes I'll add an 88 note controller if I need weighted keys.

• Members

When my computer freezes? I don't think that has happened to me since the previous millennium, certainly not since Windows XP, and Windows 8.1 has never once hesitated on me. That doesn't count inexperienced (or malicious) javascript coders who think they are entitled to jam the pipe with "interrupt level 0" demands for attention to display their ads, when I have ads blocked.

Once, at a wedding in a small Catholic church, I finished my prelude, up to the Wedding March. The priest made an announcement, and he had interference on his wireless mic, so I had to emergency power down my entire setup. After his few words, I couldn't get everything powered up again, at least, not correctly. PANIC. So I had to abandon ship, hurry around behind the organ, turn it on, and play a few bars of Mendelssohn off the cuff, without music or preparation, enough to get the bride to the altar. It was a very brief Wedding March.

No one mentioned the incident after the ceremony, or at least, not in my earshot.

Archived