Preparing to purchase my first synth

AnderMocs

• Members

Been a guitar player for years, ready for something new. I've been getting into the sound of synths and want to start exploring that world.

I've been looking at the Blofeld desktop, mopho keyboard, and the tetra. I like knobs so I'm leaning towards the mopho, but I don't know if I want to limit myself to a mono synth for my first one. I'm looking for something sub $1000 closer to $800. I have a yamaha P-85 that I can use as a controller and am not against getting an axiom 25 or something similar if I go desktop route.

I've been really digging nine inch nails ghosts right now. I want something that can let me explore that kind of synthesis. I'm not at all interested in big 80s leads and that kind of stuff.

Also been digging this band:

[video=youtube;uW6_NiBMzyU]

I'm new to this stuff, so edumacate me.

• Members

I tried out a venom shortly in NYC. I felt really cheaply built. Those knobs look like they are break. Just my perception of it. The DSI stuff seems much better made.

Could I get a virus for that kind of money? They look amazing, I just assumed they were out of my price range even used.

• Members

I think that you could definitely find one of the earlier virus models for that. If you were intrigued by the Blofeld, you might look for a used Q - they are usually about that price, and have lots of knobs. I personally prefer it to the virus, both in terms of sound and work flow, but that's a matter of taste.

I think (?) it's still possible to find a supernova II at around that price.

• Members

I think you can get the Virus B for $400 or less. The C costs maybe a $150 more. Some people like the sounds of these older ones better than the new ones. The newer ones (Ti desktop) is not less than $1350 used. But you can get its smaller brother (the Snow) for about $1000 new, which means it's cheaper used, however its really short on knobs -only a few- but not short on sounds.

• Members

That stuff is mangled by distortion. Something in that direction is a Virus (B or C in your priceclass) or the Venom (you will need a computer to program it though). These have great on-board effects that leads the sound in the right direction.

• Members

Well if you've got a controller and you like twiddling knobs, see if you can find a Roland JP 8080. I used to have one of threse and it was great, some great sounds on there. Had to sell it to help pay for new equipment, do miss it though.

• Members

I say try the Venom. It can be had for around around $399 to $460US at GS, depending on the discount deal at that time. This is a no brainer in the keyboard world. The Mopho Keyboard is really cool and can sound edgy in its own right.

Down side to the Venom? You will need to become friends with your computer to fully use the keyboard's features. And yes it feels cheap.

Down side to the Mopho Keyboard, not many: No effects, less keys, you may want to play chords, in which you will need to add a Tetra module, expensive, especially after all the new add ons.

• Members

Other possibility it getting Komplete with the Kore controller thing. I like the idea of having a hardware synth, but at the same time, Komplete has a lot to learn and can do just about anything. And NIN use it for a lot of stuff.

• Members

Do you want to use it Live? I think if you are learning, hardware is hard to beat. The M-audio can be tweaked enough for a new guy getting his feet wet. My favorite board of all times is the Clavia Nord Lead 2x. Add the Liquid H20 chorus--delay, a BOSS RV-5, a OD3 or SD1 and OD1, or a Big muff, and watch the magic happen. Synth wahs are great as well.

Nords are built like tanks, nice size and weight, LAYER UP TO 4 SOUNDS, have VA Drum sounds, over 1500 presets, and a nice arpeggiator.

The 2X was used by Nine Inch Nails as there main synth for years until they went soft synths.

• Members

Maudio Venom sprang to mind quite readilly with the vid you posted. And when you want some real attention grabbing, just bring it. bass, Venom gonna do that great to. I owned a Access Virus KB synth several yrs ago when they where new. Great upper dollar VA with heavy sound. But not as intuitive for tweaking as others Ive owned. (Novation ks4, nord lead2x).

Archived