Korg SV1 or Casio PX3

• Members

I have the money for either... I just don't want to waste my money on the Korg if the Casio is just as good. I"m mostly a piano player in a indie rock band. Looking for good piano sounds, organ, electric piano.. something light.. feels good.. and sounds better.

help me here.. I"m struggling. Is there really a big sound difference between the two?

• Members

I have the money for either... I just don't want to waste my money on the Korg if the Casio is just as good. I"m mostly a piano player in a indie rock band. Looking for good piano sounds, organ, electric piano.. something light.. feels good.. and sounds better.

help me here.. I"m struggling. Is there really a big sound difference between the two?

The instruments are completely different. As a generality, the Korg sounds are stronger, but the Casio board is more versatile. I wouldn't call the SV-1 light, though at least the 73-key version comes in under 40 pounds.

There are a number of other options you can consider, too. Assuming you want a weighted action (based on the two boards you asked about), and that your budget is up to mid-teens, besides those two, you can also look at Yamaha MOX8, Roland FP-4 or RD-300 series, or Kurzweil SP4-8, which are all 88-key boards that weigh in the 30s. They all have a selection of piano, EP, and organ sounds, but which sounds are "better" is mostly a matter of personal preference.

• Members

The instruments are completely different. As a generality, the Korg sounds are stronger, but the Casio board is more versatile. I wouldn't call the SV-1 light, though at least the 73-key version comes in under 40 pounds.

Agreed the SV1 is not that light, just under 40 lbs. What do you mean the Casio board is more versatile? I may look into the Korg SP-250, but I think it may not be as professional a board for stage that I'll need. It is interesting to know it uses the same keyboard bed as the SV1-73. I may need to test out the SP-250, but something tells me the SV1-73 is gonna win out. I just don't want to spend extra money on little gain.

• Members

What do you mean the Casio board is more versatile?

You can split and layer different sounds.

There are many more sounds in it (250 vs. 36).

You can create presets that combine its own internal sounds with sounds on another keyboard or external MIDI module you may have.

If triggered externally, it can generate the sounds of up to 16 instruments at once (one assigned to each MIDI channel).

The SV-1 is a fewer-trick pony, but the things it does, it generally does well, with a more engaging "hands-on" interface.

• Members

Casio is mainly sold at Best Buy, Sears, Walmart, etc, Korgs are sold at musicial instrument stores. Nuff said. Ok so the higher end casios are good compared to the little kid toys the lower price ones are. But still., Id go with the pro brand which is Korg.

• Members

Trust me here when I say, I have a lot of respect for what Casio has accomplished. In the late 80's and early 90's they made a run at the pro market. but now, no matter how good any Casio sounds or how many features it has, it look like a toy and has beginner written all over it. It could hurt one in certain circumstances. Wether we like it or not we are a brand conscience world. It is one thing to be cute, like all this Korg micro stuff, and another to be not on the know.

• Members

I agree that I would definitely have the SV-1 over the Casio any day, But I'd much rather have a Roland RD-300NX than either of them. I don't really like the look of the SV-1 myself, with the rounded back. The Roland and the Casio look much more classy in my opinion

it look like a toy and has beginner written all over it.

So the casio PX-3 looks like a toy? Right.

casiopx3_base.jpg

• Members

I knew that someone would call me out on that comment. Yes the Casio pro pianos look sturdy and the action is OK, definitely piano grade, but they still say Casio on the back. It just is not recognized to be as pro as a Roland which is that boards direct competitor. Granted the Roland cost three times as much.

I stick buy my superficial comment. Brand really does matter. Some may not like Roland, Korg, or Yamaha or prefer one to over the other, but there is no denying that these three companies have had products on Rock Star stages and on mega hit albums for nearly 4 decades.

• Members

I knew that someone would call me out on that comment. Yes the Casio pro pianos look sturdy and the action is OK, definitely piano grade, but they still say Casio on the back. It just is not recognized to be as pro as a Roland which is that boards direct competitor. Granted the Roland cost three times as much.

To be fair, if I gigged regularly with a Casio, I would indeed be inclined to cover up the brand name on the back! The Casio Privia pianos do seem to offer excellent bang for the buck though, it has to be said.

• Members

In many ways there's no comparison between the Casio PX-3 and the Korg SV-1. The quality of sounds on the Casio are what most would consider mid-grade: passable, useable, but hardly exciting. The sounds on the SV-1, while fewer in number, are mostly top-notch, and there are few pros out there that would hesitate in using one, whereas the PX-3 would be regarded by these players as a decent, cheap, lightweight solution for specific needs, but not for their main performance axe.

That said, the SV-1 is purpose built for those great 70's sounds, esp. eps, piano and vintage fx, but the organs are not their strong suit, and it only plays one sound at a time, whereas the PX-3 will split and layer sounds. The SV-1 is $2,220 for the 88 note, the Px-3 is $699, the SV-1 88 weighs 45 pounds, and the PX-3 weighs 24 pounds!

Being that you're asking this question in the first place, I'd be inclined to say get the Casio, or whatever board you can learn with. The Casio is a bit more versatile in the number of sounds and its midi implementation, is half the price, it's lighter in weight, etc.

When you're at the point where your playing demands top notch sounds, get the SV-1, a Nord Electro or Stage (pricey but worth it), etc. There's a lot to choose from these days, and some of the digital stage pianos, like the SV-1 or Nord Electro, don't do many sounds, but the ones they do are just gorgeous and very very satisfying.

A lot of the task is learning to hear what sounds good to you- it's taken me years, and once I got a Nord Stage I could finally HEAR what a good piano, a good wurli, a good organ sounds like, and believe me, it makes a huge difference in your playing having quality sounds.

But as part of that education process, it's not a bad idea to get something like the Casio PX-3 as a starter board, and then take your time to try out the many many boards available in the $1-2,000 price range. And keep in mind, we're at a turning point with music technology- within a coupla years, $2,000 will buy a digital piano to die for (like trickle downs of the Kronos). If you had $3k+ to burn, I'd say get the Kronos 73- that's a dream come true board!

• Members

You could also consider the KURZ PC3. Great image, great sounds and tons of them, less daunting than some other and newer workstations, decent price. The Kronos is going to be amazing but very complexed and involved liked the M3, and even more so in some ways. At least to a new player.

• Members

Would have to be the SV-1 without a doubt, the casio is good in its own way but against an SV-1 it wouldn't hold up much of a contest. The SP-250 is worth a look and I would say that it is closer to the PX3 than the SV-1. You should try both out and see what you prefer.

Archived