Roland Fantom X VS Roland Juno G

• Members

I have owned all the models of the Fantom and the JUNO series. You were told correctly. The Fantoms sound better than the JUNOs. However, these two particular models are closer in sound quality than later models in each series. I would not buy a Fantom-X now. The Fantom-G engine sounds better than the Fantom-X, and the Fantom-G is expected to be replaced within the next year. If you buy a Fantom-X, you will soon be two generations behind the latest model.

• Members

They are indeed different... I compared the same patches on the Fantom X and on the Juno-G - and the Fantom does indeed sound more "detailed" and full. Probably the D/A converters are improved on the Fantom series, since it's more expensive. Personally, I would wait til the end of July / beginning of August when the new Jupiter-80 comes out

• Members

Ultimately, SRX expanded Fantom-X will have a much better, more exciting, characterful soundset than dull, bland and generic "best of SRX" joke that is Fan-G ... (It's not bad, just not as good ... )

I tested Fan-G and Fan-X side by side and found precious little sonic difference between the two ... Only new Fan-G patches sounded different and mostly because of programming probably ... In fact, the big difference is a boomy quality to Fan-G's low end ...

I already had a beloved Fan-X when G came out and was never impressed enough to get G ... There are improvements, alot of them actually, but there is a lot of smal backward steps, too ... And ultimately, the soundset I already have on X is better than what's available on G ... And in the end, that's what's most important along with the fact they did not change keyboard action on synth models and USB transfer speed wasn't improved enough ...

I don't think the Fan-G is any worse than M3 or XS ... It's a very good board ... But when you want to upgrade and can't justify, something's off ...

I'd say go for Fan-X if you can find one at a sweet price ... Later, when you get to know the very good internal soundset, you can figure out where you want the sounds beefed up ...

When it comes to functionality, there's actually not that much that Fan-G can do over X ... and there's actually many thing X does better than G, for starters, the arp for example ... Very flexible on X ... On G, you can't even create user patterns (facepalm) ...

If you have more questions ust ask ...

• Members

Oh .. This was about Juno-G ...

Not even close ... Get the X ...

There's is NOTHING better about Juno-G than X except it is lighter ...

Everything else is a step back ... crappy keybed without aftertouch ... no pads ... small monocrome screen that eventually will crap out on you if it hasn't already ... Fewer sounds and less SRX expansion ... Sequencer is stripped down; same goes for sampling ...

In short, Fan-X is pro; Juno-G is no ...

It's not bad at all --unless you count the screen thing; that's bad -- but you can do much, much better for just a little more scratch ...

Archived