The Future of MIDI

samrhymes

• Members

Hi all

I am very new to this forum so I apologize if this is the wrong section for this type of thread. I was wondering what everyones view is on the future of MIDI, where it might go next and what features could be added that would be a welcome improvement? Any feedback and opinions are welcome.

• Members

Signal transfer protocols and technology are getting ridiculously dense and fast. I think it's a possibility they may eventually lose midi. Hopefully synths get real enough to render the spec obsolete as well.

What may impede this change is Mfgrs preferring to steal on their laurels. It's an old story.

• Members

In the short term, the adoption of wireless Bluetooth LE MIDI by Windows 10 (in the upcoming Redstone update) will give us reduced latency and better performance. I am using a wireless Bluetooth MIDI adapter with my keyboards and my iPad now and it works great when used with softsynths. It will take a short time for Windows programmers to integrate it but I think that wireless Bluetooth MIDI is an improvement over the standard MIDI and USB MIDI connections we use today. It's already in the CME Xkey Air and some other controllers.

Archived