Korg Electribe EMX 1

Reptilian

• Members

Is this a pro device?, do you recommend this?

thanks!

I'm not sure what "pro" would mean in this case, but along with the ESX, it is Korg's top of the line Electribe.

Physically, I'd say it's definitely built to professional standards. Its metal chassis is made like a Sherman tank.

For what it is, and depending on the kind of music you're making, the polyphony of the EMX-1 is very good. The drum machine section has 9 parts, the synth section has 5 monophonic parts, and then the synth accent and drum accent each count as one part, for a total of 16. The filter and effects are very good, and the analog modeling is surprisingly advanced.

But the EMX really shines when it's MIDI'd with a polyphonic synth (R3, Radias, MiniAK, etc,) or a rompler type groovebox (e.g. MC909,MC505, RS7000, ASR-X, etc.) since its synth parts are all monophonic. There is a way to 'simulate' more polyphony with its chord function, and with creative use of delay, but fundamentally what you have is a 5 part monophonic synth grafted onto a 9 part drum machine. By itself, the EMX can do really well at what I'll collectively call "minimalist" techno, hip hop, chill, and atmospheric type music, but for more advanced chording, pads, etc., you'll want to supplement it with something like one of the above-mentioned units.

The main thing I like about the EMX is the simplicity of its interface. I don't think I've ever had to crack open the user's manual. It's just very logically laid out, and the results it gives are immediate. The backlit LCD screen is nice and readable, and the buttons feel rubbery and durable. The tube distortion is neat, though I only dial it in marginally now and then. You'll either have to hunt down a SmartMedia card for storage (I've noticed that a lot of people who sell their EMX's used will throw in their SM card), or just buy the updated version released last year that uses SD storage.

I'm also starting to see them show up for $300 or less on CL, which is an amazing bargain. That's a lot of fun for three C notes. The EMX is easily one of my favorite 'easy chair' grooveboxes -- it's portable enough to set up anywhere and work on patterns and remixes, especially while sitting in my favorite barka-lounger with a pair of headphones.

• Members

Just make sure yours doesn't have the random params issue with the knobs ... plenty do, I hear ...

Personally, I sold mine to finance Maschine and I don't really miss it ...

I wished it focused more on drum synthesis instead of all the goofy monosynth stuff -- the talents of which are exceeded by every synth I own -- not to mention better and more drum samples ... Never really liked the effects either ...

Also, its output seemed noisier than other units (that weren't Korg lol) ...

Velocity pads would have perhpas made it a keeper ...

Ultimately, too many compromises and the sound was always a too little brittle and thin and digital sounding ... though it did have its moments ... (Some of the preset preformances are surprisingly cute and the "motion control" is great but it kind of always came back to the sound ... )

It's definitely the poor man's machinedrum mki ...

(Also, some people have found great satisfaction in replacing the factory tubes ... I'd suggest it if you have the wherwithall ... )

• Members

Best blue box. ever.

Every time I sit down with one of those, I feel like there is magic being pumped out into the speakers.

Just make sure yours doesn't have the random params issue with the knobs ... plenty do, I hear ...

Personally, I sold mine to finance Maschine and I don't really miss it ...

I wished it focused more on drum synthesis instead of all the goofy monosynth stuff and better and more drum samples ...

Also, its output seemed noisier than other units (that weren't Korg lol) ...

Velocity pads would have perhpas made it a keeper ...

Ultimately, too many compromises and the sound was always a little brittle and thin ... though it did have its moments ...

It's definitely the poor man's machinedrum ...

I didn't notice its output being noisy when I used it.... and I didn't notice any problems with the knobs or anything. Must have had a defective unit.

• Members

The noise wasn't crazy ... Just not as quiet as other units ... Korg seems to have a problem with this in some of their lower-end stuff ... (By no means this is first time this has been reported) ...

The blue box is not exactly pro level ... prosumer is more like it ... which doesn't preclude it from being usd in serious hands ... but ...

• Members

The noise wasn't crazy ... Just not as quiet as other units ... Korg seems to have a problem with this in some of their lower-end stuff ... (By no means this is first time this has been reported) ...

The blue box is not exactly pro level ... prosumer is more like it ... which doesn't preclude it from being usd in serious hands ... but ...

I can't agree with you there. It's as "pro" as any non-sampling groovebox, if sound and build quality are the criteria.

• Members

Maybe none of them are ... ??? Personally, I think the build quality on EMX is deceptive ... More fragile than it looks ...

Like I said, glad to be gone ... It had potnetial, but Korg tried too hard to make it a jukebox ...

Archived