AX-09 or Ax-Synth

Kas

• Members

"worth" is subjective. but I believe it is justified for the extra keys/features

Also better sounds due to a different more mature synth engine. I do like the compactness of the AX-09. Just get black that is half he battle to coolness.

• Members

imo the stripped down Fantom and 'Supernatural' synth enginges on the AX aren't that amazing, though I'd not kick either out of bed if I didn;t have any other kit.

if you want it primarily as a controller then I'd say go with the Lucinda, probably what I would have done if it had been out at the time and I hadn't got a nice ex-demo deal on an AX first.

Lucinda also benefits from not having an undue resemblance to a surfboard.

• Members

Value is subjective but I *do* think there is a huge discrepancy in price between the two. The AX-Synth feels WAY more comfortable to me but it is hard to justify double the price. However the Lucina was SO awkward for me that I have a hard time justifying the $600 for it.

• Members

I went for the black Lucina as a controller mainly. IMO it's light, well balanced and comfortable and doesn't look like a keyboard trying to be a guitar. Access to buttons (being below the keys) is a lot better than he AX Synth IMO.

The sound set is reasonable (some from the Fantom G) but obviously not as comprehensive or editable as the AX synth. - no layering, splitting etc.

What I really like on the Lucina is that the mod bar and ribbon bender are perfectly balanced. First keyboard I've ever played where guitar bends sound right. The on board file player is really useful for practising or even for the whole performance if you are that way inclined.

If you get the AX Synth make sure you get the new black version. No one wants to be seen in public with a white dolphin around their neck!

• Members

I have the AX-Synth and like it generally, although the synth engine is fairly limited. It does not transmit midi volume (big oversight). The lead guitar sounds are where it shines for sure. I really wanted to use it exclusively live and after extensive programming, found that the organ samples just don't cut it. You cannot have overdrive along with rotary sim, so you really cannot get a convincing B3 organ sound.

I use it mostly for rehearsal now, because it is easy to carry. It is very light to wear as well and although fairly large, looks good.

-dj

• Members

Well i gave in and bought an AX-09 yesterday and went directly to rehearsal with a band with whom i normally play 99% B3 clonewheel. We have a few gigs coming up that are too small to bring in my full rig and i want to be able to get offstage in 5 minutes. The AX-09 organ sounds pretty much suck in this context, I'm hearing the Ax-synth arent much better. Preset 12 worked for the songs ok and the band thought it sounded good but i want a better sound. So i'm thinking VK8M, Xm2, VOCE 5 ect. Has anyone here had any luck using the AX-09 to control one of these?

• Members

AX-Synth ... It does not transmit midi volume (big oversight).

That about sums it up! I'd probably take the "big oversight" comment and bump it up to

A MASSIVELY HUGE

oversight. With a CP300, an RD700SX and a Motif ES Rack already in my rig - I wasn't really all that concerned about using my AX Synth as a sound engine. I'm still struggling to come to terms with the limitation that not being able to tweak volume settings when using is as a controller presents. It's inability to store and pass MSB/LSB parameters as part of a "user" Patch is another BIG shortcoming as well - albeit not as big as the inability to pass volume data.

• Members

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the limitation that not being able to tweak volume settings when using is as a controller presents. It's
inability to store and pass MSB/LSB parameters as part of a "user" Patch
is another BIG shortcoming as well - albeit not as big as the inability to pass volume data.

Wait. What? Are you {censored}ing serious? OMG.

So, how are you supposed to do patch changes to outboard gear? Man this thread is all kinds of educational... guess I will hang onto my AX7 after all. I always maintained that the AXSynth was a huge step in the wrong direction and this just solidifies this for me... braindead design.

• Members

Wait. What? Are you {censored}ing serious? OMG.

So, how are you supposed to do patch changes to outboard gear? Man this thread is all kinds of educational... guess I will hang onto my AX7 after all. I always maintained that the AXSynth was a huge step in the wrong direction and this just solidifies this for me... braindead design.

Nope ... I wish I could say that was a joke ... but it's not. I've been able to get around that particular shortcoming by simply using my CP300 to send the whatever program change data needed to set my Motif ES Rack unit to the patch that I want before I strap up and step out. It's not as convenient as being able to truly control the rack unit from the AX Synth ... but it's not been a total showstopper for me. The inability to tweak volume when used as a controller is a killer. To be honest, never in a thousand years would I have thought that anybody would make a MIDI device that wouldn't pass volume data - so I didn't scrutinize the manual to confirm that it did before purchasing it.

When I first got my AX synth and first starting realizing that it have these "limitations" - I was almost certain it was simply a case that I just hadn't figured out how to program is yet.... Numerous painstakingly careful reads of the manual and a few visits to the AX Synth forum on Roland's forum world confirmed that is absolutely the case - after the fact.

• Members

Old AX-7 is the best one, with the best name as well. (AX7=AXE).

Now, if only roland could implement a AT that was not so flipping lame and provide it with a price that wasn't ridiculous....

I was about to die when roland pulled the after touch switch out of their A**. Are you kidding me? Hey, our keyboard supports after touch! Here is our AT knob, as good as the real thing! LAME!

The AT on the AX-synth is lame even on roland's standards.

Archived