Got some money, what Analog synth to get? Not too big, not crazy $$$ ?!?

Faldoe

• Members

So I miss the tweak-ability and hours of drone fun of an analog synth - my first synth was a Crumar Trilogy, heavy and big but so fun.

I'm looking for a basic control/knob layout analog synth, with some cool added features but nothing crazy with many sub-menus or $$$$

Maybe $1000 max. Can be Moog knock offs - Realistic.

Something with key/note hold so I can tweak and make drones, a flexible arppegiator would be nice, Midi abilities good. Not looking for a Rack. 49 keys or less.

• Members

Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Keyboard. 32 keys, built in arpeggiator and sequencer, lots of knobs, some sub menus but has a computer editor, true monophonic analog, $799US MAP. Add an analog delay and reverb pedal and call it good.

• Members

The Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Keyboard is $799. The Moog Little Phatty Stage II is 1299, but I see that Nova Musik has a used one listed online for $1099. I have purchased used gear from them with no issues. These are both monophonic synths. The Mopho has an arpeggiator and a gated step sequencer. The Little Phatty is a bare bones synth but has that classic Moog sound.

• Members

The
is $799. The Moog Little Phatty Stage II is 1299, but I see that Nova Musik has a used one listed online for $1099. I have purchased used gear from them with no issues. These are both monophonic synths. The Mopho has an arpeggiator and a gated step sequencer. The Little Phatty is a bare bones synth but has that classic Moog sound.

I love the Phatty but I would need an external step sequencer. If I had the dough I would go Phatty Stage II with the CV mod, CP-251, ring mod, Bass/Filter, MP-251, moog anolog delay, reverb pedal, a Nemo step sequencer, and a Taurus III. But that is total a studio rig, where the Mopho with its sub ocs is very club gig worthy.

• Members

There were some good suggestions in the thread I started: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2776942-lt-800-analog&highlight= but you have a slightly higher budget than I did and I cheaped out and bought a Korg Poly-61... has a hold button which is damn nice for drones but its also knobless and midiless... Polysix has the knobs and same the hold button and arp. Both are pretty simple synths but I like that too.

want to get next (though these don't all meet your criteria)

Mopho Keyboard (plus Tetr4 eventually)

Moog SP

Moog Prodigy

Moog Source

Sequential Prophet 600

Korg Mono/Poly though I think these may go for a bit more than 1k now :(

Roland Juno or SH-101 or MC-202

• Members

The sequencer on the Mopho is fun and stuff but as much as I try I just can't bring myself to really like it, I can't really put my finger on what it is but IMHO it lacks soul and sounds sort of static, like, it does sound analogue but without the "warmth"... :( With that said, the Mopho DT is nothing short but a steal for its price but I wouldn't cash up what they're asking for the keyboard version. Then again, I'd choose sound quality over features any day.

I'd cast my vote on the Korg Mono/Poly, it would probably be the ultimate machine for your needs. It's total knob madness and would make an awesome drone board, with a funky arp, key hold and other neat features. It sounds really good, too. Prices vary but despite that I live in a segregated part of the world where synths are generally really pricy, I've seen a few go for less than $1000.

Just my

• Members

isnt Mopho like late-period Curtis sound... nothing special... however I really like the sound when I play with it and the keyboard version is nice. Have seen used ones go cheap

also wanting:

Mono Evolver keys

Akai AX-80

Korg DW8000 (I have one actually but I have to move it from the East Coast) might get a 6000 or an EX8000 or a DSS-1 to complement it

• Members

used access virus?

I had a novation K station but sold it cause I needed the money, I planned on getting an X station. If I got say a Moog Slim Phatty, could I run both the X Stations internal sounds plus using the X Station to control the Slim Phatty, both simultaneously and or trade off one to the other easily - not having to reboot the X station or something?

• Members

I would consider seriously whether you really want an analog hardware synthesizer or a knobby synthesizer that sounds good. There are considerable options in your price range that are polyphonic, knobby, and have step sequencers and arpeggiators galore.

Archived