Anything Else Like The Bass Station out there?

Fautzo

• Members

Basically, I've scraped up enough money to buy a Roland Gaia. I probably wouldn't be buying it if it weren't for Cresshead's excellent review and demos. Instead of demoing a bunch of rave music or something, he actually compared waves, I really liked that.

Anyways, back to the subject. My question is: Is there any kind of synthesizer out there like the Novation Bass Station that are solely dedicated to synth bass sounds? I basically wanna get something of the sort as a side to the Gaia.

The reason I ask is because I see a few bass stations on ebay every once in a while, but they're way overpriced, and I know they're getting a little rare. I don't really want to get the software synth because I play live almost as much as I am in studio, and Powerbook G4s are incredibly prone to crashing.

Anyways, heres some examples of stuff I like to play for reference.

http://kidexp.bandcamp.com/track/shoryuken

• Members

Hmmm. The Bass Station isn't that great for bass as such, actually (ironically enough). I'm sure the Mopho would be better - and probably better in lots of other ways too.

Novation's Nova's and Supernovas were terrific (even though they are problem prone). As for Novation's other synths: meh. I have an X-Station now, btw, and it's not at all the same thing as those blue babies.

• Members

Welp. I just bought the 44 key X-station for $310 with shipping (YEAAAA). Lets just hope he doesn't email me asking for extra hawaii rates...

Yea it seemed a lot better for me than the Gaia.

• Members

You dont need a synth dedicated to bass by its mfg to have one thats excellent for bass stuff. Ive modded a variety of padsw and even lead voices on synths Ive had into deep cavernous bass voices. Wether as bass line voices, bass pads, or bass fx. I think the novations dot hat well as well as the Maudio venom. The venom is more capable of great nasty bass voices but can also do smooth more Novation like ones to. I would suggest you get a synth with at least 3 octave keyboard. Cause even for bass lines 2 isnt enough really. Basic 4string bass guitar has 3 octaves range easy as a comparrison. And since synths can do low bass that not even a 5 string bass can do, 3 should be your minimum octave range for keyboard imo. Nord lead2x and Access Virus would be two other synths that are superb for bass synth stuff to imo. (Ive owned both those as well).

Archived