Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

OT gear that died before it's time.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT gear that died before it's time.

We all not what pieces they are and why. I will start the ball rolling. We suffer buy being brave enough to drink the Kool-aid.

Roland V-synth version 1 with cards.
    Roland Varios
    Roland MC-909
    Alesis ION
    Alesis Fusion
    Kurzweil PC1ce
    Kurzweil VA-1
    Korg Oasis
    Ensoniq FIZMO and the company as a whole.
    Moog Voyager OS, coolest moog yet.
    Finally Fantom G, half baked OS and no new AXR cards. Soon to be gone, I AM SURE OF IT.

RAZZ

I think the Kurz VA is disqualified on account of never having been produced.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

Yamaha FS1R -- A wonderfully robust FM synth ....... in a single rack unit with a difficult-to-use interface.

Yamaha EX-5 -- Way ahead of its time. Multiple engines in one workstation. It still actually sounds very good. Just woefully underpowered as a workstation.

Yamaha RS7000 -- In some ways, one of my favorite sampling drum machines to sit and play. If they had just gone one more generation, and added multi-sampling capability and PLG support (basically a groovebox equivalent of the Motif ES), people would STILL be clamoring for one.

Yamaha AN/DX-200 -- sort of a postscript to their PLG line. Lots of potential. No follow-through.

Basically, these were Yamaha's final acts of vision before they stopped making real synths altogether.
      Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

I don't see how the following can be considered short lived since four or more years is a good life span for a synth.

Roland V-Synth - 4 years w/ upgraded replacement
        Roland MC-909 - 4 years w/ smaller replacement
        Alesis ION - 4 years w/ smaller replacement
        Korg Oasys - 4 years w/ smaller replacement

The Yamaha FS1R was short lived since it was only out for 2 years and never had a replacement. I bought mine when Mars Music blew them out for $249.

Comment

I don't see how the following can be considered short lived since four or more years is a good life span for a synth.

Roland V-Synth - 4 years w/ upgraded replacement
          Roland MC-909 - 4 years w/ smaller replacement
          Alesis ION - 4 years w/ smaller replacement
          Korg Oasys - 4 years w/ smaller replacement

The Yamaha FS1R was short lived since it was only out for 2 years and never had a replacement. I bought mine when Mars Music blew them out for $249.

I guess I don't feel as though they were properly replaced.

Comment

Anything Kawai.
            Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

I think the Kurz VA is disqualified on account of never having been produced.

Yes I know what a shame it still looks very cool.

Comment

Anything Kawai.
                I don't disagree, but I like their synths. Their M8000 88 key piano weighted controller is considered by some (of the few who've actually seen one) to be the best.

They still make very good pianos.
                ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Korg Prophecy..although it later morphed into the Z1, I've heard many owners say it's not quite the same.
                  I recently sold mine in the big studio clearout of 0-ll, but I sampled a few of the presets and damn I kinda miss it.

The Yamaha AN1X had fantastic sound but it's front layout drove me crazy. Yes I know there's an editor available, but for me it's all about using the hardware itself. Again, this is another synth that later morphed into the EX5.
                  IMO, the Yamaha AN modeling has some of the best analog modellng available.

Comment

yeah, the AN1x was killed in the market by the jp8000 on the interface front - but, I still haven't found a VA that is as good sound-wise as the AN1x - it's just that good in my opinion.
                    It did evolve, or I should say de-volve, into the AN200 and the PLG-AN cards for the motif but it didn't get a proper, much called for, follow up.
                    I foolishly have my fingers crossed every namme/musik messe for Yamaha to announce that they are back in the VA game...
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="1">as of now: fusion 6hd, motif 6, rs7000 + siel MONO</font></font></div>

Comment

Yamaha CS6x.... very affordable synth for its time, with two PLG slots and good editability, though the two-line LCD display was a bit of a challenge and integrating PLG with other sounds was harder than it need to have been. Still, a very solid and appealing effort.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Franklin Gothic Medium"><font size="4"><font color="seagreen"><i>A Gadibus usque ad Auroram</i></font></font></font></div>

Comment

Basically, these were Yamaha's final acts of vision before they stopped making real synths altogether.

I don't understand this statement. Why is a Motif not a real synth?

Comment

uh oh!
                          I respectfully request that this thread not become another rompler debate!
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="1">as of now: fusion 6hd, motif 6, rs7000 + siel MONO</font></font></div>

Comment

+1 on all Yamaha... RS7000, AN/DX200, EX5, CS6x, FS1r, even A-series samplers though the hardware sampler was about to die anyway ...they made so much cool stuff in the late 90s and early 00s and suddenly got boring. A new Yamaha VA or an RS7000 sequel would have been so nice.

Prophecy and Z1 seems another one
                            http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

Romplers are synths!!!

They just use different ways to get sounds. just because something is not additive, subtractive, analog, or FM, does not mean it does not have the ability to change OCS's, LFO's, filters, envelopes, VA's, Amps, effects, ect...

Take a synth style tone and break it down and mess with it, then talk about how it is not a synth. My Juno Gi is used in a 70's--80's classic-prog-dance band. Once I put my signature magic on the sounds it very close to a proper synth in a live mix, especially Moog, Oberheim, and DX type sounds.

I guess VA's are not synths either.

I guess neither was the D-50 the first rompler out there. LA was the conception of the sampled structure/tone with synthesis processing.

What about VAST?

Sorry Gordonwiebe, just had to get that off my chest. Now back to point.

RAZZ

Comment

Working...
                              X