Pedals when playing standing

• Members

Just got a standtastic stand so that I can play standing up (I am tall, need the height). Seems like a great stand, SOLID.

Anyway, I usually have at least a sustain and a volume pedal hooked up to the kb. Not a problem when playing sitting down but I found that operating the sustain a lot (piano piece with lots of sustain needed) when standing soon gets pretty tiring for the OTHER leg which is obviously taking all my considerable weight!

What do others do re pedal use when playing in a standing position.

• Members
Just got a standtastic stand so that I can play standing up (I am tall, need the height). Seems like a great stand, SOLID.

Anyway, I usually have at least a sustain and a volume pedal hooked up to the kb. Not a problem when playing sitting down but I found that operating the sustain a lot (piano piece with lots of sustain needed) when standing soon gets pretty tiring for the OTHER leg which is obviously taking all my considerable weight!

It is just an adjustment. It will always feel a bit awkward but you will adjust to a certain extent.

• Members

When I gigged, I played piano parts, standing up. I never used a volume pedal, just a sustain pedal, and I think I mainly just flexed my ankle, keeping my heel on the ground. So my weight was still *mostly* balanced on both legs.

For volume I just reached up and tweaked the volume slider.

• Members

It may be that I need to look at a new sus pedal. With the one I have ( A Yamaha, can't find a model number but it's all on or off, no half damp) I really need to lift my foot off it completely to stop the sustain. I Usually also have a volume pedal so that I can adjust vol without having to stop playing with one hand. Normally though I donl't touch it unless changing volume. I guess if I need sustain and a vol change at the same time I need to learn to levitate!

• Members

Oh man it's good to know others have this problem. I am flexing my left calf muscle right now from the pain of standing on my left leg all night last night. I do keep a bar stool behind me that I can sit on when playing serious piano but for the most part, it is stand up for me.

I use a damper, expression, and pedal switch while I stand... a LOT. Basically, all of my weight is on my left foot the entire show. By the end of the night, it hurts like hell...

• Members

I found that sitting on a padded stool really works well if you're tall, and can feel more comfortable than a piano bench. Not too tall a stool. Just enough so you can stretch your legs out, with your feet still flat on the floor. If you don't have room for a stool, the better drum thrones (ie, stools made for drummers) can elevate adequately.

• Members

I use a damper, expression, and pedal switch while I stand... a LOT. Basically, all of my weight is on my left foot the entire show. By the end of the night, it hurts like hell...

Similar situation for me...I use a damper, switch pedal to increment programs and a switch pedal to control Leslie speed. By the end of the night, my left leg aches. There are some songs where I can get away with not using the sustain pedal very much (or at all) so I've consciously started standing on both feet during those songs to take some of the pressure off of the left. That has really helped.

• Members

When I was gigging I had at least a dozen pedals (switch and exp) all over, left foot and right. So I guess both my legs got an equal share of storking fatigue. All my sustain pedals were the low flat slab types, though; my piano didn't support half pedaling. Those are probably easier to use when standing, because you can leave your heel on the ground.

• Members

I used to stand until I started playing clonewheels, and then I couldn't use expression pedal and use another pedal (Leslie speed, or sustain for my other hand) while standing.

At 6'2" I can use a barstool to sit or stand. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good collapsing barstool, so I tend to set up a bit lower and sit; occasionally standing while playing my top kb but not needing expression pedal.

• Members

Similar situation for me...I use a damper, switch pedal to increment programs and a switch pedal to control Leslie speed. By the end of the night, my left leg aches. There are some songs where I can get away with not using the sustain pedal very much (or at all) so I've consciously started standing on both feet during those songs to take some of the pressure off of the left. That has really helped.

I also have a couple where I can do the same. Not only does my left leg hurt, but the arch in my left foot hurts as well. One thing I did purchase and use religiously at all shows is this:

rubber-floor-mat.jpg

An Anti-fatigue rubber floor mat. I think I paid $30 at Home Depot and I've seen them much cheaper since. But it was the best $30 I ever spent for my live rig and I swear by it. Since it's rubber, it also keeps my pedals from sliding.

-Mc

• Members

At practice yesterday I tried moving the sustain pedal more towards me so that it was almost by my foot instead of in more forward position as it would be if sitting. I also turned it sideways and while I did not use it that much, it did seem to be easier on the 'other' leg when using it than my first attempt.

• Members

Getcha one of these for about $20 at Walmart (or probably $5 on Craigslist):

Stool_19.jpg

Best of both worlds.

Maybe I find that the stool dilemma kinda puts us in the worst of both worlds not tall enough for a 2 tier stand and almost too tall to reach multiple pedals. It can work with some adjustment though. Short guys forget about it.

• Members

I've become somewhat conditioned to the tired left leg syndrom and take it as a sign I probably need to learn to use a little less pedal. I did make a Y adaptor cord so I could use two sustain pedals, one for each foot so I could swap my weight over when one leg got tired (on my S90, the adaptor must be wired so the pedals are in series) but I don't use it much anymore - i'm on a minimalist gear kick layely so toting around a stool is not going to be an option (for me) either.

• Members

1) Less pedaling, more dancing!

2) Sustain with your fingerz.

3) Buy a keytar!

I don't dance (someone at one of our gigs said white people should not dance and having seen the video, I agree!)

I found I did not actually use the sustain that much for our set list anyway. Anywhere were I am playing 'slower' stuff (eg a solo gig) I will probably sit anyway

I have a keytar (lucina!)

First gig with new stand last night. Overall pretty good. I need to level it up though. I've got about an inch difference in height either side so my keyboard slopes. I think that explains all my music being bassy, all the notes are running down hill to the left LOL.

Using the vol pedal was fine, mainly I think because you can stand on it to some extent so it takes some of the weight. Anyway I had no problems and for the couple of times I did use the sustain, having the pedals closer made it pretty easy, plus my pedals did not walk at all!

I have to say as well that standing made it feel like I was more part of the band and engaged instead of just sitting there. Overall a positive experience.

Archived