GAS again. Talk me out of buying a novation ks4.

shawnl

• Members

So I found someone selling a novation ks4 for $300. I already own a kstation which I adore and wonder if having a larger version with more polyphony and multitimbrality to pair it with would be beneficial or just plain redundant. thoughts anyone?

• Members

Love the sound on mine. Although I have experienced the 'phantom knob turning' that plague these units. Really sucks when you're trying to play the thing and all the sudden the filter just shuts all the way down on you.

• Members

I like how direct and simplistic everything is on the ks series synths. It's almost a knob-per-function layout. I feel like novation has lost some of that with it's newer line and has cheapened itself with plastic build quality. I don't feel impressed with the ultranova for this reason. Originally, I bought an 61 key xstation but sent it back because it arrived broken and just didn't have the same feel as my kstation. It supposedly had semi-weighted keyboard but sure didn't feel that way to me. I haven't had the chance to play an ultranova so perhaps its not fair to make such presumptions, but if it's built anything like the xstation I'll pass.

• Members

I like the x-station layout but the knobs and sliders are plastic-y feeling like my SL MKI and I think thats when they started having reliability issues. I use it with V-station and I still like the combo. The UltraNova seems to be a lot nicer in sound and build when I've played with it in the store and I'd like to get one. But I'm interested the KS4 and rack if the build quality is nicer than the X-station et al and 4-part multitimbrality sounds good too.

Archived