Korg Kronos All-Access Party - Chillicothe, IL : Saturday, August 6, 2011

McHale

• Members

KronosSTG.png

Since Korg left out the thriving metropolis of Chillicothe, IL (as well as ALL of IL), I have spoken to Suit & Tie Guy about possibly having an UNAUTHORIZED Korg Kronos All-Access Party at STG Studios. It looks like Saturday, August 6th is the day.

On hand will be the Kronos 88 (w/ 4GB RAM), M3-73 w/ RADIAS, hopefully an OASYS 76, and other misc. gear.

More details to come...

-Mc

• Members

you flatter me.

however, the cosmic insult of the RADIUS as i saw it from Richard Devine's bedspread in 2005 to my soulmate/drummer Cory Flanigan's personal rack five years later is a journey which cannot be conveyed in text without larger quantities and qualities of bourbon which i can personally afford for such ventures as the Harmony Central exposition of the full depth of the tremendous insult KORG provided into my face in regards to this concept.

let me leave this by saying: I fully expect to own a KROKUS, but complain about it.

• Members

I wish I could join you. I'll check this thread over the weekend, though, in case you have any questions or reactions. Please take some pics!

That could be really time consuming. It'd probably just be easier to give us your cell number so that way we won't bother you if we don't have any questions...

:)

• Members

I wish I could join you. I'll check this thread over the weekend, though, in case you have any questions or reactions. Please take some pics!

you're more than welcome to any of our meetups here in IL, but sometime if you're in the chicago area it would truly behove you to have a rep visit one of the Muffwiggler forum gatherings dragging a few monotribes or whatever. that's a very very active place where a lot of revenue is spent nowadays. we always have all the boutique manufacturers, but having one of the big three there would be pretty cool, and korg is well respected among the hardcore synth nerds i think. well, most of them.

but yes, come on through central IL sometime. anytime you want. you will certainly be stuffed with your choice of libations and opinions.

• Members

THE KORG KROKUS ALL EXCESS PARTY IS IN FULL SWING

IMG00019-20110806-1754.jpg

IMG00020-20110806-1754.jpg

we've already done some cool stuff with it, made some cool discoveries, ruined some preconceptions. i'm impressed by the board. there will be some more pictures, and hopefully vids soon. we've programmed some interesting patches.

• Members

an informative time was had by all, mr. mchale is now on his way back home and the rest of us are on the hunt for some chow.

a good deal of footage was taken, as well as line in audio etc etc. give me a day or two to edit it all together and we'll give you a goofy video of the patches we made. in the meantime, here's a lil teaser...

[video=youtube;uga0huG3jDE]

some more in depth after-action reports will come later, discussing some of the little issues we had and the things we liked. stay tuned!

• Members

So how does the Polysix sound next to a real one?

Reliable! i will not miss my original Polysix when i sell it to Donald Crunk!

my only complaint is that chord memory isn't implemented the same. it isn't programmed on-the-fly but stored with the patch. PLEASE if i'm wrong correct me on this!

• Members

Reliable! i will not miss my original Polysix when i sell it to Donald Crunk!

my only complaint is that chord memory isn't implemented the same. it isn't programmed on-the-fly but stored with the patch. PLEASE if i'm wrong correct me on this!

ha, sounds good, I hope there is a spin-off product with just the synth(s) as its so expensive. But P6's are still relatively affordable. (its on my list)

Chord memory and the arp are two of the things I love about the PolySix and Poly-61. (know its not the same synth but those features are the same.) I havent spent enough time with the P61 yet to know if storing it with the patch is a bad thing - could go either way - but I like having it global the way it is.

Assuming arp settings are also stored with the patch then too.

• Members

Chord memory and the arp are two of the things I love about the PolySix and Poly-61. (know its not the same synth but those features are the same.) I havent spent enough time with the P61 yet to know if storing it with the patch is a bad thing - could go either way - but I like having it global the way it is.

Assuming arp settings are also stored with the patch then too.

we spent a good deal of sidetracked time diddling with the polysix's ARP TRIG-IN input, and getting it to sync with various signals from the modular and other equipment. suit is more qualified to explain than i , but essentially what we found is that the arp input looks at the falling edge of a waveform to derive clock. inverted from the usual. probably could have found that out if we googled, but it's fun to be an explorer sometimes. we got it to do some wonky dub sounding arps by modulating the pulse width of the clock signal. yay polysix.

the arp is cool, the arpeggios response to sync is different than on the roland keyboards of the time but still seems supremely useful to me. unfortunately a kronos isn't too near in my future, but if i had one i'm sure i'd be using the polysix emulator all the time anyway! i love the warm fuzzy sound of this synth.

kronos video is in the midst of being edited at the moment, will be done soon. there's a lot of footage to edit down!

• Members

the original Polysix has two problems which keep me from wanting to use it. the first is that the arpeggiator clock input is S-trigger instead of V-trigger (it expects the input to hang at 5v and shifts the arpeggiator when it pulls to ground.) this is of course preposterous but can be solved with a logic inverter module. the second problem is that in "latch" mode (which is what i always use) when you play a new chord it plays the first note of the sequence _immediately_ and then moves to the next stage at the next incoming clock. this is irritating for me because i make rhythmic trigger sequences to step arpeggiators with, and i can't have extra notes just happening here and there when i play a new chord.

the P6 simulator in the KRONUS has neither of these problems, obviously.

Archived