X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the write up / videos
    Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

sure! you're more than free to take any of that for your blog, if you like. i'm sure none of us have any problems with that.
      -jason

youtube
      bandcamp
      soundcloud

Comment

McHale, that last bit you played on that MS20+SGX-1 Program sounded like it could have been a transition on "Look Around You."

That was actually what I was going for with that sound! Awesome that someone picked up on it. I threw it together in literally 2 minutes using a stock Grand Piano and a quick modification of an MS-20 init patch. I screwed up in the video and meant to do a quick piano thing and bring in the MS-20 as they are two sounds NOBODY would put together but I forgot to mute the MS-20 patch and I was too tired to ask Suit to let me re-record. PLUS, the whole video was done pretty tongue in cheek and the screw ups and spontaneity makes it much more fun anyway. Originally we were going to spoof one of the All Access videos complete with going through the engines, Q&A, etc. but we just ran out of time.

And for the record, I know I had zero alcohol...er... Apple Juice... (1.5 hour drives in the middle of the night through deer country is not good to mix with alcohol) and it wasn't like there was a booze party going on. Mainly it was cola and H2O for most of us. The reason my eyes are all watery is because I'm allergic to cats and guess who has one...

It was pretty cool to compare the PolySix EX with a real PolySix. I don't do modulars so I have zero interest in arp triggers and REAL analog stuff like that. I love the PolySix and MS-20 EX models. They don't have battery leakage issues or have voice chips fail and sound just as legit as the originals.

-Mc
        Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Splendid work, gentlemens! thanks much for putting that vid together, Sir dKrunk!

Now, what I want to know is, how many Korg shirts did McHale get for his totally objectively unbiased work here?
          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

i'm going to have to type more later but on viewing now i see i TOTALLY FORGOT the most important thing about that organ patch: the 4 detuned CX3 engines were vectored into 4 quandrants and swept around with the vector envelope.

it sounded much better here than it did when i programmed it into the OASYS, but i think that's because i just did a better job this time.

as i expected, i am very excited about this keyboard. finally there's something that can truly replace and upgrade the Z1 in my keyboard rig. (i won't sell it though, the Z1 will get moved to the studio-only stands and loaned out i'm sure.)
            main: http://suitandtieguy.com
            Lawrence Miles style rants: http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com
            handbuilt boutique synthesiser modules: http://stgsoundlabs.com
            my digital albums: http://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com

Comment

Selling Z1 is a capital sin.

Seems like you guys had loads of fun. Great!
              If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

Hi all,

Scenicsquare, Thanks for the terrific write-up, and also for working on that great video. I'm also a big fan of mangling sounds with the Decimator & Grain Shifter effects.

RE: knob/slider assignments in the MS-20EX and PolysixEX (and other engines)- The secret to total physical control is Tone Adjust mode! By default, most Programs put the control surface into RT Knobs/KARMA mode for performance. Some of the go-to parameters (i.e. cutoff) will be assigned
                Richard Formidoni
                Technology Product Manager
                Korg USA, Inc.

Comment

enjoy. i will elaborate further on my patch and some of my impressions of the keyboard at some point in the future, but it is late and i am tired. yay kronos.

watching this video brought a smile to my face.
                  Thanks guys.

Comment

RE: EP-1- Just to clarify, the electric pianos in the SV-1 are different from the ones in Kronos. The SV-1 is sample-based, and EP-1 uses our MDS (Multi-Dimensional Synthesis). The effects that you see in EP-1, however, are ported directly from the SV-1.

But EP-1 also uses samples as a base (so it might also be labeled as "sample-based" in nature), it just uses resynthesis to blend between different samples seamlessly, as I figured from Dan's explanation.
                    If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

That organ patch Suit and Tie Guy's playing is awesome. KRONOS makes me want to look at hardware again.

Comment

But EP-1 also uses samples as a base (so it might also be labeled as "sample-based" in nature)

EP-1 initially draws from a collection of sample data, but MDS interacts with them in a very different way than what we'd commonly refer to as "sample playback." Sorry for any confusion.
                        Richard Formidoni
                        Technology Product Manager
                        Korg USA, Inc.

Comment

True, it's a sample resynthesis engine as Dan stated in one post back at KorgForums. I have some experience with that synthesis method, having used Camel Audio Alchemy and Cameleon5000 before it. It's still sample-based, derives the basic timbre from the samples, but then morphs harmonic content between different samples by breaking it down to individual harmonics via FFT. There's no confusion, just facts

Comment

well i was confused, because i'm not the synth guru i used to be and didn't research the instruments features well enough. i meant to have a little cutsheet made up beforehand, but time became short and i didn't get to list everything i wanted to try.

i will say, for a sampled rhodes, i was more than impressed. obviously my patch isn't 'expressive' in the traditional rhodes sense, but it did everything i needed it to and sounded better than the Nords that i've done similar stuff with. IMHO.
                            -jason

youtube
                            bandcamp
                            soundcloud

Comment

well i was confused, because i'm not the synth guru i used to be and didn't research the instruments features well enough. i meant to have a little cutsheet made up beforehand, but time became short and i didn't get to list everything i wanted to try.

i will say, for a sampled rhodes, i was more than impressed. obviously my patch isn't 'expressive' in the traditional rhodes sense, but it did everything i needed it to and sounded better than the Nords that i've done similar stuff with. IMHO.

Korg SV1 is the king...
                              世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

That's what RichF and I shortly discussed above, EP-1 isn't sampled in traditional sense of the word (it doesn't have velocity layers). It has some starting point samples (say - tine element, low velocity strike, hard velocity strike, releases, etc.), and the rest gets resynthesised (which is basically morphing through additive synthesis) in realtime.

Comment

Working...
                                X