Radial DI for Keys

halluxone

• Members

Hey everyone, just have a couple of questions regarding using a DI with keys....

I 've a RD700 GX on bottom, NE3-73 on bottom along with a Handsonic and SP-555 sampler flanking either side. Everything runs through a A&H Zed22FX into a pair of K12's. I am loving the home setup now, but for live gigs the percussion and sampler stay home and usually I submix with a smaller Mackie mixer.

Even though the Mackie (and A&H) have balanced outs, I am still strongly considering using a DI to brings levels down and keep the signal cleaner on stage. The submixer is right next to me on a stand, so should I be placing the DI between the keys and submixer or between the submixer and FOH/PA/Snake?

I know Gigman mentioned this a while back and gather that everything stays 1/4 inch TS(unbalanced out from keys to either mixer or DI, balanced out(TRS or XLR) of DI or mixer to the FOH). Does the DI really make a difference in terms of ease of mixing to a house PA? Seems like every time I submix out to the soundguy, my signal is WAAAAY hot and have to turn down everything to the point that even the control outs for monitors and can't be heard well on stage! Does converting line level to mic level essentially solve this problem?

Secondly, anyone using the Radial JDI Duplex? I found one on fleabay for $315 new with warranty, open box...that's still a hefty investement but for two keyboards, it seems like the best out there. Feel free to enlighten if anybody has better suggestions!

Thanks,

Allen

• Members

... should I be placing the DI between the keys and submixer or between the submixer and FOH/PA/Snake?...

I use a Yamaha MG12/4FX mixer for my keyboard rig - and an A&H MixWiz as my PA mixer. I run my keys straight into the Yamaha - then use a pair of 1/4 TRS cables to go from the Yamaha into two channels of an 8 channel Behringer Rack Mounted DI on the PA rack - which in turn uses a pair of balanced XLR cables to from from the DI into two channel strips on the MixWiz. By adjusting the output fader on the Yamaha - and the input gain on the channel strips - I'm able to get a decent signal where neither the output fader or the input gain are at extremes.

On those occasions that I use my PA for rehearsals at my place - I patch 3 more DI channels (2 for guitars and 1 for bass). The bass and guitars then simply plug their amp modelers (various Line 6 "Pod" models) direct into the DI and we eliminate the need to schlepp amps of any sort to rehearsal.

I'm not a Behringer fan but will say that I haven't had any problems with the Rack Mounted DI that I'm using. The 8 channels worth of passive DI connectivity at a total cost of roughly $100 - has met my needs pretty cheaply.

• Members

I have a Radial stereo DI. I had the Jenson version of the single one but had to sell it. In live sound, I cannot tell the difference in the non Jenson one and the Jenson one yet accept about a $200US difference for the stereo version. I am sure there is one though. But no matter the setup, DI,s are as essential as a safety net as much as a surge protector is. Also on keys run before the powered speakers and even mixer when possible.

:)

• Members

Sounds like I'll need a Lo-Jack option on this baby...jeez. Does it "warm" the sound in any way? Some patches seem to be so dynamic, I almost hope there is some degree of punch without the occasional screecher!

Thanks for the advice guys,

Allen

• Members

So I picked up the Duplex new for pretty cheap online:cool:...can't wait to hear what it does to the sound! For anyone using one, do you usually just attach it to your amp/mixer/stand or just lay in on the ground? I don't really know how much tweaking of levels need to be done once everything is hooked up, but do you find the need to adjust levels on the fly or is it a "set and forget" kind of device?

Also, do you guys hook this home for your home set-up or is this strictly for the stage? There are no studio monitors or rack at home an I am running a PA at home which is basically the same as my stage setup plus a few other toys. Cable runs are obviously pretty short, but are you just adding this to your sound chain all the time?

Last question...if the balanced outs on the Duplex are 1/4" and XLR, am I better off using once versus the other in terms of signal quality? I know it's apples to oranges but this just means more damn cables to buy. Jesus, this hobby is getting pricey:facepalm:

Allen

• Members

You are obsessing. :D There are no levels to set on the JDI. Also no reason to use it at home unless you are running both a PA and stage amplification. I typically push in the ground lift buttons to prevent hum, and put it in the back of my rack on stage.

Last week I did a quickie show and took no stage amp rig for the first time ever. I just set my trusty JDI on the stage next to my Nord and listened to my rig thru the monitors.

• Members

I use my JDIs at home for tracking bass, drum machines and keys though API 512s and my own stereo tube preamp which both don't have line ins. Since the JDIs split the signal I can track direct to DAW and though the pres at the same time.

:thu:

• Members

Ah yes....GAS + Audiophilia = totally obsessed! :facepalm: Thanks for pointing out this clearly pathologic behavior my friend.:thu: Glad to hear that some folks are using this device as the mixer in lieu of a dedicated mixer/monitor.

I will be flying up to Ocean City, MD for a gig in a few weeks and will bring up just my Electro....figured this would be a good time to bring the Duplex since I won't have my own amplification system. Hope the airlines don't use the case as a frisbee:eek:

Breathe deeply...

• Members

The quality of a DI box is critical if you need/choose to employ one. But IMO, you could use a mixer that accepts both balanced/unbalanced signals from your keys, and feed that XLR or TRS output to house.

Keep it simple. The more gear you run your signal thru, the more it gets altered.

• Members

I disagree (respectfully of course) with Delaware. My band's soundmen (top-notch techies) have been very complimentary of my sound with the Duplex. My band opened up for country star Justin Moore a couple months ago, and his keyboard player's rig (2 Triton Extreme 88's) sounded killer out front. He was using the single version of the Duplex. That's what convinced me to pull the trigger. But I'm all in favor of skepticism, because the lack of it can cost you alot of $$$$, I have learned.:)

• Members

Gotta agree with mpegsucks on this one. If you've got balanced outs on the mixer, why are you using the direct box? You aren't actually eschewing the balanced outs, and instead running the mixer's unbalanced outs into a DI in order to make them... balanced outs???

Or, are you using it because your keyboard only has unbalanced outs, and you want to run them to balanced ins on your keyboard mixer? (If so, geez, how long are the cords between your keyboard and mixer?)

Or, are you using the DI as a sort of "splitter" your keyboard goes into, where the DI's balanced out goes to the FOH mixer's balanced in, and the DI's unbalanced out (ie, passthru) goes to your keyboard mixer's unbalanced ins? (This is the only scenario that makes sense to me). If so, want an even cleaner, brighter sound? Do your digital keyboards have digital outs? (Look for something that resembles an RCA jack labeled SPDIF). If so, get a mixer that has digital inputs (and balanced outs). Use the digital connections instead of your key's analog audio outs. And then give the FOH your balanced outs. No need for a DI at all. It will sound as good as it gets.

• Members

I disagree (respectfully of course) with Delaware. My band's soundmen (top-notch techies) have been very complimentary of my sound with the Duplex. My band opened up for country star Justin Moore a couple months ago, and his keyboard player's rig (2 Triton Extreme 88's) sounded killer out front. He was using the single version of the Duplex. That's what convinced me to pull the trigger. But I'm all in favor of skepticism, because the lack of it can cost you alot of $$$$, I have learned.
:)

I'm pretty convinced that using the RAPCO DI boxes would produce similar results. I certainly wouldn't pay $315 to get a small incremental difference. I do agree with MPEG: " .. Keep it simple. The more gear you run your signal thru, the more it gets altered..."

• Members

"Or, are you using the DI as a sort of "splitter" your keyboard goes into, where the DI's balanced out goes to the FOH mixer's balanced in, and the DI's unbalanced out (ie, passthru) goes to your keyboard mixer's unbalanced ins? (This is the only scenario that makes sense to me)."

That is exactly what I am trying to do with the Duplex....I've got balanced outs on my submixer and it's 2-3 feet away so no need for a DI in that instance. I would like to run unbalanced cables from my two boards into the DI, then send balanced XLR outs to the FOH. The "thru" signal would be then sent to my unbalanced inputs on the submixer, where I can separately control my monitor volume from "control room" balanced outs on the mixer. My boards don't have a digital out, so the cleanest analog path is what I am looking for!

And yes, it's a helluva lot of cash to spend on gear, but you get what you pay for sometimes...and sometimes you just spend too much damn money. And the rent...IS TOO DAMN HIGH.

Allen

• Members

That is exactly what I am trying to do with the Duplex

Ah ok. That makes sense. (Although I thought you said you had an Allen and Heath mixer. These are quality mixers. There shouldn't be a notable difference between its balanced outs and a DI's balanced out).

But if your keys have digital outs, consider a mixer with digital ins (instead of the direct box).

• Members

Yeah, I wish I could take this ZED22FX with me to gigs because it does sound pretty damn great...even the Jensen may not really offer any clear advantage. But it's got a big footprint and my rig is too large already. Normally I'd bring along a 1402VLZ3 for gigs since it's a lot smaller and unfortunately doesn't sound quite as purdy, hence the Duplex ability to bypass the rather thin sounding outs on the Mackie to get FOH sweetness. We'll probably end up using the A&H as our band PA mixer anyway...wish my current boards had digital outs, but no such luck!

• Members

Keep it simple.
The more gear you run your signal thru, the more it gets altered.
.."

I definitely agree with this. Simplicity is sweet! That's why I bought the Duplex. With all it's inputs, features, and flexibility, I don't even use a line mixer for most gigs. 2 boards, the Duplex, and a stage amp.

Archived