Help with Mopho

Damien_O

• Members

I recently got a DSI Mopho, and I absolutely love it, except for one thing.

I'm trying to use the resonance in the filter to create a low kick or thump sound, but there's a high frequency sound I can't seem to get rid of (almost like mic feedback, but synthy). the oscillators don't have a sine wave setting or else I'd use that. any suggestions? below are the settings I have so far.

Both Osc turned off

Filter set to 4 pole

lowpass freq: 40 (out of 127)

resonance: 127

Audio mod: 56

filter env amt: 26

filter atk: 0

Filter dec: 18

filter sus: 0

filter rel: 0

VCA level: 0

VCA env amt: 127

VCA atk: 29

VCA dec: 55

vca sus and rel: 0

All mods and LFO are off. 3rd env is unrouted.

• Members

Sounds like your resonance is too high, the filter is in self oscillation, which usually is considered a desirable feature for a filter to be capable of, but for this application, it's not what you want.

Back off the resonance amount a bit, then play around with the LP freq and env amount a bit.

• Members

Thanks for replying. So I've tried both routes, playing with res and env amt, and playing with the cutoff. Here's a more detailed description of what I'm getting.

so with regards to playing with the cutoff, yes the pitch of the "thump" sound changes. but the high frequency sound I'm hearing doesn't change in pitch at all. when I play with the resonance, it doesn't change the sound at all, except when I back off to the point that it stops oscillating the sound diminishes at the same rate as all sound. hope that makes sense.

• Members

Might be normal oscillator bleed you're hearing, try tuning the oscillators down to a harmonic pitch for the kick drum, even if it doesn't pass the sound through fully it may change things slightly.

Feedback is an obvious potential culprit. Turn the volume and gain all the way off (the white pot at the top of the box).

Audio mod could also be doing it, but I'd say is less likely based on what you're hearing. I'd still consider putting the 3rd envelope on audio mod to help control the thump compared to the slight wobble that audio mod gives it.

Archived