keyboard intensive concert last night - Kansas, Yes and Styx

c4racer

• Members

In SF bay area at Shoreline Amphitheatre.

Great show.

Kansas was pretty much the orginal line-up with Steve Walsh on vocals and keys. Had a 2 board set-up, Kurz PC3X and a K2661 or something similar up top. Sounded good. Band was super tight. Awesome to see them live. Short set - I would have loved to see them play longer.

Yes was great too - no Ric Wakeman, but they have the guy who played with them in the late 70's and into the 80's. He had a totally vintage Yes set-up with 9 boards!! Facing so the audience can see the keys. Almost all Roland and almost all were vintage boards. Sounded great too!!

Styx put on one heck of a show. The Dennis D Young replacement is super talented although I am not too into the spinning keyboard thing he does - a bit showy for my taste, but the guy has chops and can sing too.

Awesome show. anybody else see it? We had seats in section 202 just behind the sound board.

• Members

Great show.

Kansas was pretty much the orginal line-up with Steve Walsh on vocals and keys. Had a 2 board set-up, Kurz PC3X and a K2661 or something similar up top. Sounded good. Band was super tight. Awesome to see them live. Short set - I would have loved to see them play longer.

Yes was great too - no Ric Wakeman, but they have the guy who played with them in the late 70's and into the 80's. He had a totally vintage Yes set-up with 9 boards!! Facing so the audience can see the keys. Almost all Roland and almost all were vintage boards. Sounded great too!!

Styx put on one heck of a show. The Dennis D Young replacement is super talented although I am not too into the spinning keyboard thing he does - a bit showy for my taste, but the guy has chops and can sing too.

That guy is Geoff Downes, who played on Yes's Drama album. Geoff Downes, is the founder and keyboardist of Asia. Trevor Horn who has produced many fine albums was the singer on that album since Jon had left Yes. I love the new cd, as I have enjoyed all the different incarnations of Yes through the years. Trevor Horn produced the new cd Fly from Here. It's one that people will either love or totally hate.

Kansas is always great! David Ragsdale now plays electric violin and he's excellent.

I didn't think it would be very good but Styx has a concert DVD they did with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra of Cleveland which is excellent.

Lawrence Gowen(keyboardist)plays on that as well. I never thought anyone could cover The Walrus, but they do it well with Gowen on vocals.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the spinning keyboard.:eek:

While a double or triple billing is financially more practical for these types of groups, the shortened sets leave one filling half full.

• Members

Kansas will do a concert here on Sep 30 when they'll play with the Kennesaw State University Orchestra (KSU is like 5 minutes from my house...). I'm pretty sure there will be a DVD from that showing up shortly after :) Hopefully I can make it to the concert! Love me some Kansas.

• Members

I didn't think it would be very good but Styx has a concert DVD they did with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra of Cleveland which is excellent.

Lawrence Gowen(keyboardist)plays on that as well. I never thought anyone could cover The Walrus, but they do it well with Gowen on vocals.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the spinning keyboard.
:eek:

While a double or triple billing is financially more practical for these types of groups, the shortened sets leave one filling half full.

True, although Yes played for more than an hour maybe 1:10 or so. It was almost long enough. And they came out for an encore with Roundabout which was very well done and had the crowd going nuts!

Gowan can pull off the Dennis vocal stuff pretty well, I'd say and he is a good showman (maybe too much of one at least for my tastes). They did Lady and Lorelei and Come Sail Away and even Fooling Yourself and all sounded just great.

the drummer they are using now is really good too.

• Members

Kansas was pretty much the orginal line-up with Steve Walsh on vocals and keys. Had a 2 board set-up, Kurz PC3X and a K2661 or something similar up top. Sounded good.

He has played a double Kurz rig for years. Speaking as an organ enthusiast, it's disappointing to hear a less than stellar hammond sound coming from him. Their music deserves better. I have the same problem with Gary Wright in Spooky Tooth - playing a rompler organ from a keytar is just horribly wrong.

• Members

He has played a double Kurz rig for years. Speaking as an organ enthusiast, it's disappointing to hear a less than stellar hammond sound coming from him. Their music deserves better. I have the same problem with Gary Wright in Spooky Tooth - playing a rompler organ from a keytar is just horribly wrong.

True. We saw Toby Keith last night and the keyboardist had a S90ES on top of a real Hammond on stage. Both sounded excellent, although the sound guys had it a bit too low in the mix for my tastes. I was much happier with the mixing work done for the 3 band rock show.

• Members

I was there with stepson #2. I agree - it was a terrific show - we were a bit closer to the stage than you, I think - section 102.

Geoff Downes was with Yes for one album (and a very good one at that! - actually I guess with the new album that's two in total) but he's no vintage guy. A Roland endorsee, from where I was sitting I could see: a Gaia, a VP-770, a G8, a VK8M, (for hammond organ) and one of the new Junos (Di? G? something like that), and another two that I couldn't make out.

On the other hand, he also had at least one Mac laptop (running mainstage?) so who knows where the sounds were coming from.

I long for the day when a Hammond B3 and a minimoog would have sufficed, frankly. But the band sounded great.

Archived