OT: Macbook Air

keybdwizrd

• Members

My new employer asked me a wonderful question - Mac or PC? And another one - Macbook Pro or Air?

Well I got me one of these newfangled Airs. If they hadn't bought me one, I'd just have to get one anyway.

13.3" screen with 256 GB solid state drive. 2.9 lbs and quiet as a mouse. Doesn't seem to heat up like my other Macbook either.

Beautiful screen and nice built-in sound, too.

It's almost like an iPad with a keyboard, it's so portable.

mba-13-stock.jpg

Has Lion. Multiple desktops and multi-touch is great.

Nice machine for surfing/email/Netflix/Spotify/iTunes/Kindle/Skype/GarageBand and my work stuff.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ubuntu? Ptooey! That's just Debian testing with a bunch of ill-conceived, poorly tested customizations that break too much software in Debian's repositories, and slow your system down, plus a UI designed for a smart phone (not a computer). Wipe it, and load this instead:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Love how Apple ripped off a free OS (ie, BSD, ie Unix -- essentially a Linux-like system), slapped a new face on it, load it on off-the-shelf PC hardware, and charge folks a premium price for it. And what a nasty, despicable, oppressively litiguous company that expends its energy suing better competitors, while it stole its "best" ideas from others. Apple is the low of the technology sector -- even worse than Sony and ATT.

• Members

as if linux isn't bad enough

I use Linux (and Windows). There are things about it that are better than the commercial counterparts. For example, Linux installs in about 20 mins. Windows 7 is hours of painful disk thrashing. Also, Linux tends not to "slow down" over time. Windows registry is a horrible binary monstrosity that continually grows to suck up more and more ram each time you so much as think about installing that "free Korg Kronos screensaver".

But today is not the day to talk to me about Linux. I spent the day writing a Linux audio device driver. Oh, ALSA is such a painful audio API. I wish it were a lot more like Windows 7 new API (WASAPI).

• Members

i've been holding out for the to-be-released quadcore version of the 13" macbook pro. at work i have all kinds of cables going into my macbook, can't do wireless for a lot of it.

i like the smaller of the macbook airs but with an ipad 2 already, couldn't possibly justify it.

• Members

i like the smaller of the macbook airs but with an ipad 2 already, couldn't possibly justify it.

I like the iPad for the prospect of what it can do in a gig setup. Other than that, i.e. for web browsing, email, and any kind of "productivity," I'd much rather have an Air.

• Members

Okay, guys. I have a vintage BLACK MacBook. I'll trade it for a new Air 13" or 11". My machine is slower, larger, and heavier. And it's BLACK

Got that, you collectors? BLACK.

They're not makin' them anymore.

First Air that arrives in my mailbox gets it.

• Members

Okay, guys. I have a vintage BLACK MacBook. I'll trade it for a new Air 13" or 11". My machine is slower, larger, and heavier. And it's BLACK

Got that, you collectors? BLACK.

I've got one of those too - my personal laptop. People often think it's a PC with an Apple logo slapped on it, not knowing that Apple did, briefly, make a black laptop.

standard.jpg

• Members

those new aiyers are siiiiiick

its got the best form factor of any lappi if u can handle the 13" screen

same powar as my former top-a-tha-line mbp 17" from 2009. the only other difference being mafuggin benjamins !1 mine being like 3 large

can't wait for the MacBook-pro-air those are gonna be slick and apparently dropping next year.

might just get a current mbp 17" for the 4 cores, non-fixed ram and ability to remove the optical drive and add an hdd for the sys and use my ssd for samplez

• Members

I've got one of those too - my personal laptop. People often think it's a PC with an Apple logo slapped on it, not knowing that Apple did, briefly, make a black laptop.

standard.jpg

collector's gold, I say --- be worth a fortune --- and then there's the analog power supply

• Members

All you guys are really spending that kind of money on Apple products?? Man, I've got to somehow get in on that plentiful Apple gravy train! If only Apple's lawyers would let me spec out a comparable machine at a much lower price, then put an Apple logo on it and immediately bump up the price for that...

God, I could load the free BSD Unix on it, put on a customized version of the free Gnome 2 desktop, with a tiny icon of a half-eaten fruit! What a killing I'd make!! If only but for those Apple lawyers...

P.S. Kind of funny that it's an Apple employee maintaining Linux's primary graphical engine, because that's what Apple uses. Oh yeah, did I mention that Apple bought Linux's printer system from HP because Apple uses that too? Man I wish I could sell people stuff that's free in Linux, and for a lot of cash too.

• Members

All you guys are really spending that kind of money on Apple products?? Man, I've got to somehow get in on that plentiful Apple gravy train! If only Apple's lawyers would let me spec out a comparable machine at a much lower price, then put an Apple logo on it and immediately bump up the price for that...

I would truly love to know where I could find something that matches the 11.6" MacBook Air in size, weight, and specs for less. Hell, even the 13" MacBook Air is hard to match (find me a 13" laptop with a 1440x900 resolution screen or higher for less than $1299; oh, and it also has to weigh less than 3 lbs).

• Members

I would truly love to know where I could find something that matches the 11.6" MacBook Air in size, weight, and specs for less. Hell, even the 13" MacBook Air is hard to match (find me a 13" laptop with a 1440x900 resolution screen or higher for less than $1299; oh, and it also has to weigh less than 3 lbs).

...and be, for all intents and purposes, perpetually virus-free (at least so far... and it's been that way for 10 years...)

• Members

Does the screen on the air flip back so that the touch screen can function like a tablet, or is it fixed at a max angle?

I have been experimenting with taking hand written notes on the iPad (using a stylus and Note Taker HD) and it works pretty well once you get the hang of it. Math symbols are difficult though - feels like I am writing with a baseball bat. The nice thing is I can keep multiple little piles of notes (like a notebook) for different project meetings - no more papers from multiple meetings piled around.

Archived