vinyl player: advice?

Praxisaxis

• Members

Hey, this is a bit off track...

My mum wants to get me a vinyl record player for my birthday. That's only because I mentioned it casually a couple of weeks ago.

I don't even have a sizable vinyl collection, although mum does (but she doesn't have a player anymore). The thing is, I don't want her to have to pay much - she's not made of money. Neither am I, but I can chuck another couple of hundred on if need be :) . So.... what's around for about $300-$400? If I can't get a half decent one around that mark I can tell her not to worry about it :) .

Any ideas?

• Members

What are you going to be hooking it up into and what are you using it for?

There are some newer ones that run on USB to play through your computer.

Something like this would be fine for that:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=turntable&rlz=1R2_____en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1536&bih=703&wrapid=tlif131274520221810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10504931482603889247&sa=X&ei=y-Y-TqaqCKnRiAKm8YjDBg&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAQ#

And some of the newer ones also have built-in phono preamps so you can run it into any amplifier.

Older turntables don't have a phono preamp (older recievers all did) and most newer recievers don't have phono preamps. So if you pick up an older turntable somewhere, you're going to need to either buy an additional preamp, or make the receiver you use has "phono" inputs.

If you're serious about vinyl and looking into audiophile-level equipment, then that's a whole 'nother topic.

Archived