Mind to share your backup solution ?

cowby

• Members

Hi, I thought this has been discussed before but anyway, as there are many backup solution in the market. Would like to hear more.

Last night, I purchased a 2T WD My Book Ess. (USB 3.0) and trying to decide which solution is the best. Right now, I have 2 proposals

1) Fastcopy version 2.x. It simply duplicate a set of my samples / project directories to my book. Point is it is 100% identical without having to de-compress. But for archiving purpose, I need to use winzip.

2) Acronis - bit slow and backup in its own format. Didn't compress my data.

What is your backup solution ? Mind to share with me.

P.S I found that small size of wav files (I have tons of them like kik, snare etc..) takes time to backup.

• Members

TimeMachine in the Mac OS is *stellar*. i hook both computers up to a similar 2T WD drive partitioned into two 1T TimeMachine backup disks. nothing needs to be done, ever. TimeMachine is seriously one of the best features Apple's added to OS X.

• Members

TimeMachine in the Mac OS is *stellar*. i hook both computers up to a similar 2T WD drive partitioned into two 1T TimeMachine backup disks. nothing needs to be done, ever. TimeMachine is seriously one of the best features Apple's added to OS X.

Your TimeMachine disk is connected to a wireless hub?

I use TimeMachine as a part of my backup. All our computers (three mac notebooks of one sort or another) back up to a single 2T bare drive (not partitioned) that's plugged into one of these:

1895_S.JPG

which is plugged into the USB port of an Airport Extreme (wireless router).

I have two more bare 2T drives that are partitioned for each of the three computers. Every Friday I take one out of the desk, stick it into the drive dock and back up all three computers to bootable partitions using Carbon Copy Cloner. (I have to move the drive dock around to the computers because CCC won't back up to a remote drive.) Then I take that disk out to the barn and trade it for the other disk, which I bring into the house and put into my desk until the next Friday.

This way I have hourly incremental accessible backups through TimeMachine and weekly full bootable backups on and off-site. I figure that any event that destroys both the house and the barn will probably make having a computer backup seem pretty low priority.

Archived