Looking for a beginner keyboard

• Members

And I'm confused about the selection, but I guess I'm looking for something in the digital piano category, but not quite sure. Here is what I'm after:

$100-$400 price range.

61 keys or less

Lightweight. I would like to move it around my home. Maybe even sit on my lap at times.

Touch sensitive keys. This is a must.

Good assortment of piano sounds, such as electric and tack. I have no need for drums, trains, dogs, etc.

Some sort of teaching technology would be nice but not necessary. I have an iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and iMac running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 in bootcamp if "interfacing" is necessary.

Thanks.

• Members

Good info from ChristianRock. Also, Yamaha makes the NP-V60 and NP-V80 models in the "light 76" category, and they have the teaching function you mention. The V80 definitely sounds better than the V60, and the price difference isn't great, especially when you consider that the 80 includes a sustain pedal and you'd have to buy that separately if you want to do piano on the V60. These models also have a greater variety of piano sounds than the NP-11, which actually has very few sounds, though I suspect that the actual straight piano sound of the NP-11 may be better.

• Members

Casio's new WK-7500 and CTK-6500 are both really good for the serious beginner. Check them out for they do a whole lot and sound good compared to their price, which by the way is in your range.

Yes, I've played those new Casios and they sound surprisingly good, perhaps better than their Yamaha counterparts. Definitely worth a listen.

• Members

WK-7500 is a bit over budget (and a bit heavier), but the CTK-7000 (same board with 61 keys) might fit the bill...

Which ever model number is the 61key version of the WK-7500 will be right at the upper end of the price range. The Yamaha stuff will be easier for a beginner though,

and if you want mostly piano many choices there as well.

Archived