my new drum machine/Juno/x0xb0x case: The Hot Mix Five

• Members

the wiring isn't done yet, or even started. however the devices are all physically installed in the case now. time for some photos.

s640x480.jpg

s640x480.jpg

s640x480.jpg

s640x480.jpg

the gallery, for hi-res pics: http://pics.livejournal.com/suitandtieguy/gallery/0006123w

btw, this was built by http://hahnamplifiers.com/, like the rest of my cases and Donald Crunk's modular case.

• Members

some clarification ...

this is one of three lifting-lid solutions i need for my live setup. the other two are for the Z1/JP6 (eventually KROKUS/JP6) and the Microwave/Minimoog stations. each one will sit on a Quik-Lok WS-550.

each one will have a colour-coded jackfield on the back (holes for these are visible in the last shot) to correspond with a commodity 8-channel 1/4" TRS snake. these will carry MIDI, audio, and in the case of the drum machine case CV, gate, and DIN sync. the Hot Mix Five will actually have _two_ jackfields: one for the main mixer rack and one for the modular.

yes, this is heavy. it weighs 150-160 lbs fully loaded. however this is no big deal for two people to lift on to the stand. it's _nothing_ compared to a Hammond organ.

the three stations will sit on a custom dolly designed to hold all of them. the trailer i have purchased and is being built for me right now is 6x12, which is plenty of room for the footprints of these three stations on their dolly, the main rack, the modular case, and the trunk for stands and sundries. i should also have room for another case for merch.

this is completely ridiculous, the hobbyist may scoff. however i've been a hobbyist for 18 years and i'm ready to do some real {censored}, and i am very serious about this. unfortunately being very serious does require infrastructure investment which competes or surpasses your instrument investment. that's just the way it goes.

when it's done (is anything ever "done"?) i'm going to have the most sophisticated live rig since Tangerine Dream's 1984 tour and i can say that without feeling like i'm exaggerating.

why am i doing this? it's the same gear i've been gigging with ... why would i go through this trouble?

i've been using one of my parents' Mercury Villagers for years for gigging because my Aerostar crapped out on me. for years i've wanted to move to a trailer so i could have a ramp door and e-track and ratchet straps and do this right. i'm finally able to.

the other issue is that when everything is in individual cases with individual cables this whole mess takes 2 hrs _at_minimal_ to set up. i am sick of this. i think with this new setup, when all the cases are done and all the simplified wiring is done, it will take me 23 minutes to set up. this is important because i need to be talking to ladies, not packing my gear. and i cannot compromise my gear ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived