Torn between Romplers

Awake77

• Members

I've fought it long and hard, but synth GAS has its grip on me once again. Even with all the awesome software out these days, I still find myself missing the romplers I've owned to a degree. When I listen back to my old tracks that I used them in, I hear sounds I made that have a character that I really enjoy. So I've had my eye on a few 'special' rack units and have been watching the used prices, nearly ready to pull the trigger. Here's what I'm looking at:

Roland JD-990 - I'll probably end up with one of these no matter what. I REALLY miss my JD-800 sometimes. Still holding onto my JD Strings expansion card just in case :) (and because they fetch absurd prices) $300-$400

Yamaha MU-100R - This was the first synth that I owned. Really cool sound set, and could take 2 of the Yamah PLG boards. I started learning sound design on this box, not sure if its as cool as I remember or I'm just being nostalgic. There's an MU-128 as well that can take 3 PLG boards and has some extra features. Either fetches about $200.

Yamaha CS6R - Back in my MU100R days I lusted for a CS6X like no tomorrow. Never went through on it. This is the rack version, sells for about the same price. $400 - $500. Like the MU tone generators, its a rompler that can take the PLG synth boards, and also has a phrase sampler.

These are the 3 I'm mulling over, but I'm open to any suggestions. Basically looking for a rompler that has some real synthesis capabilities. Either through its architecture, like the JD990, or through real synths-on-a-card.

Current crew of synths includes an Akai AX-80, Korg Z1, Korg DW-8000, Korg DSS-1 (waiting for the new upgrade board), Kawai K5000S, and an Alesis Andromeda. My budget is

Thanks,

A77

• Members

Rather than the 3 Yamaha's you've listed, maybe you should look at the original Motif rack. It can take plg boards too, and has a much larger rom set. Current ebay listings for the original are in your range.

Some of the main draws of the CS6X were the knobs, the keyboard, and the ribbon - all of which are missing on the rack. The rack has some knobs, but not as many, and not as accessible.

If you want a rompler/synth without having to add plg boards, maybe take a look at some of the older Kurzweil K2000's.

• Members

Damn mildbill I'd forgot all about the Kurz...certainly sounds the part. From the demos I've been listening to, it's got a powerful, dark sound which is right up my alley:

[video=youtube;TGC8UCN6ZSQ]

I like the Motif idea too, does the original Motif rack come loaded with any PLG boards? The only drawback to the Yamaha stuff, those PLG boards still fetch a premium used. Especially the one's I'd want (AN1X board, of course :)

• Members

romplers by definition date themselves... i'd look at something newer.

I know there are a lot of JD fans out there, but really, it's just a modern digital sample player... in the case of the jd800, a dated rompler with a great interface.

As far as the yamahas go - look at something newer - i'd go motif es - you get the most recent soundset + the ability to add plg cards.

• Members

I missed my JD800 so much I also went for the JD990 with the vintage expansion card, and although it sounded similar to me, it just didn't give me the feel of the actual JD800.

But I must admit I'm not a fan of rack modules anyway, for some reason there is always a disconnect for me.

• Members

Yeah if going for a ROMpler you might just go for something newer - unless it's an EX5R with its built-in expansions (and since you won't use it as the brain/sequencer behind your songs you should be fine with its processing power).

I've even seen Motif ES Racks going for 399 at our local Guitar Center, so you might find one for less than 500.

Don't forget the Roland XV-5080 or 5050, the Kurzweil PC2R and of course, the Alesis Fusion 6HD which still sells for under 500 used and can be pretty much whatever you want it to be :)

• Members

You mustn't think you've failed me

Just because there's something else

You were the first real ROMpler I ever had

And all the things I ever said

I swear they still are true

For no one else can have the part of me I gave to you

Torn between two ROMplers, feelin' like a fool

Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules

:rawk:

• Members

You mustn't think you've failed me

Just because there's something else

You were the first real ROMpler I ever had

And all the things I ever said

I swear they still are true

For no one else can have the part of me I gave to you

Torn between two ROMplers, feelin' like a fool

Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules

Meatball that brought a tear to my eye, I couldn't have said it better myself :thu:

• Members

I missed my JD800 so much I also went for the JD990 with the vintage expansion card, and although it sounded similar to me, it just didn't give me the feel of the actual JD800.

But I must admit I'm not a fan of rack modules anyway, for some reason there is always a disconnect for me.

Normally I feel the same way - I don't own any synth racks. Usually when I produce I'll use one or two sounds off each synth per track. Or, design the sound on the hardware and then bring it into Ableton as audio and manipulate it further. The way I have the rack set up its right in easy reach, so I'm willing to give a couple synth racks a try :) And, I'm saving the space in the studio for something really majestic :)

Yeah if going for a ROMpler you might just go for something newer - unless it's an EX5R with its built-in expansions (and since you won't use it as the brain/sequencer behind your songs you should be fine with its processing power).

Does the EX5R have the AN board built in?

• Members

I also had a JD-800 for many years and did a lot of programming on it which I saved to ram cards. When I decided to sell it to make room for Roland V- Synth, I bought a JD-990 and loaded all my custom sounds into it. It also came with the Vintage synth expansion board. It's a great module and I doubt I'd ever sell it. I also have a Kurzweil K2000R and as others have said, it's worth considering.

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet - the Korg Trinity Rack. I bought a used one a few months ago for $180 and I am very impressed with what a great sounding rompler this is. Once the Triton came out, the Trinity was history, but they are really excellent synths. I also like my Wavestation SR a lot too.

One you don't hear about as much is the Emu Morpheus. I'm thinning the herd and am considering selling mine with two rare factory sound cards.

• Members

Well. More like tweaking, but sometimes you can make some pretty cool sounds with the existing samples.

Oddly enough, the one I programmed the most other than my Fusion, was the JV-2080. And I didn't even like the sound of that thing. But that big screen was a joy to program. I wish more ROMplers would be like that, and I think the EX5R might...

• Members

Wait, people actually program their romplers?
:confused:
Every single patch in my Motif Rack is still factory.
:lol:

I didn't even know what synthesis was when I saved up all summer for my MU100R. I started designing my own sounds by adjusting EQ settings and layering channels, using FX, etc. I actually really miss building patches like that, kind of a different way of thinking about sound design.

I did have a Korg TR-Rack too! It was great, but like mentioned above it just was not fun to program at all. I ended up selling it and getting my first 'real' synth with the cash.

ChristianRock, thanks for the link to the EX5R page...sounds just like I remember my MU100 but bigger. If this thing comes loaded with the AN and VL boards it's certainly on the list!

• Members

ChristianRock, thanks for the link to the EX5R page...sounds just like I remember my MU100 but bigger. If this thing comes loaded with the AN and VL boards it's certainly on the list!

I still have both the EX5R and an Alesis Fusion. The EX sounds great, but has some severe limitations, I'm happy using it as a mono-timbral/polyphonic device. (AN and VL are basically monophonic).

You will run into the dreaded 'DSP Resources Full' message constantly when trying to use it otherwise. Great piece, but way underpowered. And no, it doesn't use plg boards. Best to look at Yamaha's site for info. And visit the EX5Tech site if you get serious about it.

The Fusion addressed most of the limitations of the EX. You only listed racks, so I didn't think you wanted another keyboard.

I also suggested the original Motif rack because of the price range. I haven't seen a Motif ES rack priced as low as some here have.

The plg boards are kind of a PITA too. :lol:

Archived