Anyone see the new issue of Keyboard?

mpegsucks

• Members

Yeah I saw it, strange. Gear is the star this month.

I'm not sure if you're being cynical or not, but still...

It's not unusual at all for gear to be on the cover. I remember various Moogs have been on the cover, and the Alesis Ion was on the cover years ago, and going back I think even an M1 was on the cover.

Tangentially, I really miss the 80s and 90s cover, which were really imaginative and compelling. My favorite was the extreme closeup of cracked keys on the cover of January 87. And the MIDI-Veins-hand for the sequencer edition of May (?) 87.

Ah, too bad print is dead. You'd think cool covers would be easier to come by in the era of digital editions and photoshop. Alas, publishing was more creative when it was harder to achieve.

(I like speaking in sweeping generalizations!)

• Members

It's simple. We google the batman.

czI5G.jpg

I was a little. It just seems so sparse and boom "here I am". I have read Keyboard every month since 1986 and there have been many gear covers but the covers were a little more involved.

My fav cover of all times was actually a Roland insider with Nick Rhodes in front of a Roland JX-10 and S-50. I thought with that Rig one could single handedly cover the whole Notorious album.

Then he spoke of recreantly purchasing an MC-500 and D-50. He also used a Jupiter 8 and a brand new aquired Kurzweil K-2000 and had his Fairlight still. Incredible!

• Members

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

• Members

Shame to have all that "power" and have to menu-dive to use it.

But what do I know, I play a Minimoog Voyager OS as my primary instrument, don't have a computer or even MIDI as part of my live rig, and prefer the sound of Daniel Fisher's (Sweetwater) GAIA analog string machine patch to authentic string sounds.

• Members

I got it. Very nice. I'd be tempted if I didn't have the Oasys.

BTW, my studio is in the
(August). They got a few of the synth names wrong though. LOL!

Congratz! They featured my studio about 8 years ago- the entire last page.

I too have a full blown Oasys, but I still might get the Kronos,it would really add to my flexibility.

• Members

Shame to have all that "power" and have to menu-dive to use it.

But what do I know, I play a Minimoog Voyager OS as my primary instrument, don't have a computer or even MIDI as part of my live rig, and prefer the sound of Daniel Fisher's (Sweetwater) GAIA analog string machine patch to authentic string sounds.

I know what you are saying, but if that were expanded ( even a little) to ergonomic controls it would quickly use up the real estate. There is a TON under the hood.

• Members

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

I agree the interface has been improved yet still clunky and very "korg".

Bit I disagree about its presence and longevity. Sure there will always be purists that if it aint analog they aint touching it. I couldnt imagine approaching music creation with that negating and limited attitude.

Archived