Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno... considering what the Kornus can do, I don't think it's all that outlandish a claim.

PC-based stuff notwithstanding, natch.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

It's simple. We google the batman.

I was a little. It just seems so sparse and boom "here I am". I have read Keyboard every month since 1986 and there have been many gear covers but the covers were a little more involved.

My fav cover of all times was actually a Roland insider with Nick Rhodes in front of a Roland JX-10 and S-50. I thought with that Rig one could single handedly cover the whole Notorious album.

Then he spoke of recreantly purchasing an MC-500 and D-50. He also used a Jupiter 8 and a brand new aquired Kurzweil K-2000 and had his Fairlight still. Incredible!

Comment

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

Comment

Shame to have all that "power" and have to menu-dive to use it.

But what do I know, I play a Minimoog Voyager OS as my primary instrument, don't have a computer or even MIDI as part of my live rig, and prefer the sound of Daniel Fisher's (Sweetwater) GAIA analog string machine patch to authentic string sounds.

Martyn Wheeler (playing synthesizers/organ like it's 1973 in England)

now: Fredfin Wallaby
          was: The Gonzo Symphonic

Comment

I got it. Very nice. I'd be tempted if I didn't have the Oasys.

BTW, my studio is in the "Dig My Rig" part of the current issue (August). They got a few of the synth names wrong though. LOL!

Congratz! They featured my studio about 8 years ago- the entire last page.

I too have a full blown Oasys, but I still might get the Kronos,it would really add to my flexibility.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Orgasms frighten me</div>

Comment

Shame to have all that "power" and have to menu-dive to use it.

But what do I know, I play a Minimoog Voyager OS as my primary instrument, don't have a computer or even MIDI as part of my live rig, and prefer the sound of Daniel Fisher's (Sweetwater) GAIA analog string machine patch to authentic string sounds.

I know what you are saying, but if that were expanded ( even a little) to ergonomic controls it would quickly use up the real estate. There is a TON under the hood.

Comment

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

I agree the interface has been improved yet still clunky and very "korg".

Bit I disagree about its presence and longevity. Sure there will always be purists that if it aint analog they aint touching it. I couldnt imagine approaching music creation with that negating and limited attitude.

Comment

So what is the most powerful synth ever, then?

I'm sure the answer will be... a computer... but as far as hardware?

A computer isnt a synthesizer.

Comment

The answer is...

YES
                    <b>Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):</b><br><br><blockquote><hr>Footfall wrote:<br><p>What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally &quot;overpacking&quot; this product.</p><br><hr></blockquote><br><font size="1"><i><b>Current Korg Gear:</b> KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2</i></font>

Comment

Thank you, GoogleRock. :thu:

FraggleRock?
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell...</font></div>

Comment

It is, when it is running a synthesizer program.

It synthesizes sounds, doesn't it? Then it's a synthesizer.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

The term synthesis has broaden over the years. Most synths these days use a computer type format of some sort to help their product be more stable, broader, more practical, or whatever. Just be glad that synths are still going strong and did not die in the late 80's. Other musicians and non-synth players not only think they are cool but needed in all realms of music.

That is why I don't put down a product like the Microkorg. Many a guitarist/bassist with zero experience playing or programming synths and/or keyboards thought "I would like to give that shot." Good for them, good for us, good for everyone.

Comment

BTW, my studio is in the "Dig My Rig" part of the current issue (August). They got a few of the synth names wrong though. LOL!
                            I used to put a Juno 60 and SCI 6-trak over my CP70, and they made a great combination on a budget (excepting the CP70 buget-wise; I got mine abused for a bargain, and it still cost 8 times as much as the car I drove!)

OK, back to worshipping or stoning the Kronos, as suits your taste.
                            learjeff.net

Comment

This can be real fodder for an all out forum war.

I agree- a computer is not a synthesizer. It needs all sort of software plus hardware interfaces to make it work. Sure, you can trick out a computer with a bunch of software and hardware, and it would be more powerful than the Kronos, but that is not a valid comparison. You can also add a bunch of hardware to the Kronos to multiply the power.

Nobody that I know of is selling a computer that you can unpack, plug in and start performing on.

Comment

Nobody that I know of is selling a computer that you can unpack, plug in and start performing on.
                                Open Labs?

Comment

Working...
                                X