X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled the trigger

Ordered a roland VR700 today. Took a chance ,, I have not played this board. I do play rolands , so it seemed like a logical choice for the kind of music I play.

:facepalm:
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park&quot;</div><br>

Anyone played this board?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park&quot;</div><br>

Comment

I played the V-Combo when it originally came out. The new one is pretty similar. Sorry to say, I hated the Roland organ sound, too shrill in the high end and the leslie sim was not that great. The piano and rhodes sounds were sub par too.
      The key action was fantastic though - buttery smooth for organ.

I think for swiss army knife style keyboards, the Nords blow it away. But it does have drawbars!
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Moe<br><br>---<br><br>It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.hotrodmotm.com">http://www.hotrodmotm.com</a></div>

Comment

I played the V-Combo when it originally came out. The new one is pretty similar. Sorry to say, I hated the Roland organ sound, too shrill in the high end and the leslie sim was not that great. The piano and rhodes sounds were sub par too.
        The key action was fantastic though - buttery smooth for organ.

I think for swiss army knife style keyboards, the Nords blow it away. But it does have drawbars!

maybe so,, but I cant buy a new nord for the 1350 I paid for this.

Comment

Just pull the trigger on a Ventilator to go with it and you'll be all set.

Comment

Ordered a roland VR700 today. Took a chance ,, I have not played this board. I do play rolands , so it seemed like a logical choice for the kind of music I play.

:facepalm:

Haven't had a chance, nobody in my area seems to want to display one. I'd be super-interested to hear your impressions. I've been wondering about this one for a while. Still have yet to find a good replacement for my QS7.1
            <div class="signaturecontainer">- Mike<br />
            <br />
            RD700NX, PC3, Traynor K4<br />
            <br />
            &quot;I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. <br />
            My life is my own.&quot;</div>

Comment

I just played a Vr700 today, but not to audition the sound (so I can't comment about that). I wanted only to check out the feel of its keybed. It's one of the few unweighted keybeds manufactured today that doesn't make me cringe. It reminds me of my old Roland synths when they actually made fast, responsive actions. It's what a "synth action" should feel like.

Today, it seems like companies are obsessed with making "semi-weighted" crap, in other words trying make keybeds slower and less responsive. Some companies are even making their "not really a piano action" keybeds "graded" (ie, Yamaha's Piaggero). How stupid is that? Model the worst defect in a piano's design, with a minimum of the attributes.

Comment

Just pull the trigger on a Ventilator to go with it and you'll be all set.

I hear good things about those. For now i need to let my piggy bank build up... I still have to buy a bullet proof case the airlines cant destroy. Any suggestions. I want to stay away from anything with steel .. due to I live at the beach ,, the salt air is total hell on anything with steel.

Comment

Haven't had a chance, nobody in my area seems to want to display one. I'd be super-interested to hear your impressions. I've been wondering about this one for a while. Still have yet to find a good replacement for my QS7.1

will do ,,, I wish i could have played one in person , but I live down here on the edge of the earth in texas by the border. No one stocks any higher end keyboards here. I have been playing a RD300sx for the last few years, so I am ok with the roland sounds.

Comment

I've played an RD300sx for years. Although I wasn't trying the VR700 for its sounds, what I heard of the organ patch was notably better than the 300sx (whose organs are really its weakest area).

Comment

I've played an RD300sx for years. Although I wasn't trying the VR700 for its sounds, what I heard of the organ patch was notably better than the 300sx (whose organs are really its weakest area).

yea ,, i dont think the organs on the sx stage piano are weak as much as they are limited. It has a couple that I use. 3 and 5 are the best organs on it. Its a down from the flagship stage piano so you are going to have that.

Comment

I think the organ sounds on stage pianos go out of their way to suck, like take a GM organ patch and then castrate it oke:

Like it would kill the mfrs to use a fat all bars out B3 sound :bor:
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">My VCAs go to<b> 11</b></div>

Comment

Does that board take the JV expansion cards? I know a guy who has a vintage keys and the 60's/70's cards for $140 each. Those would definitely beef up the sounds in there.
                          My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Moog LP
                          My Band: http://www.bksband.com

Comment

Does that board take the JV expansion cards? I know a guy who has a vintage keys and the 60's/70's cards for $140 each. Those would definitely beef up the sounds in there.

I dont know. to be honest ,, my theory on boards is that I dont need 4000 sounds ,, i need six good ones. I am not a tweeker. I am pretty sure the piano, electric piano , brass and strings on this new board is pretty much like what I have on my roland stage piano. If thats so ,, i am good to go with this board in its stock form. I am in a gulf and western band ,, its not very demanding when it comes to the sounds i need. Thats what attracted me to this board. its simple.

Comment

I just played a Vr700 today, but not to audition the sound (so I can't comment about that). I wanted only to check out the feel of its keybed. It's one of the few unweighted keybeds manufactured today that doesn't make me cringe. It reminds me of my old Roland synths when they actually made fast, responsive actions. It's what a "synth action" should feel like.

Today, it seems like companies are obsessed with making "semi-weighted" crap, in other words trying make keybeds slower and less responsive. Some companies are even making their "not really a piano action" keybeds "graded" (ie, Yamaha's Piaggero). How stupid is that? Model the worst defect in a piano's design, with a minimum of the attributes.
                              For playing hammond, wurlie, and clav, I prefer semi-weighted to synth-like. I played a JX10 for years and I'm using that as my standard for synth action. When playing piano parts on it, dynamics never felt right (regardless of settings), and I'd often play unwanted notes with a weakly raised ring finger. I have no such problems with sem-weighted, though of course the dynamics still aren't what they'd be with a hammer action key.

But I agree that it's insane to grade a semi-weighted keyboard! I don't feel any need for grading in the first place, though I might if I were using a digital to practice for acoustic performances. Like release samples, it's imitating a flaw that piano designers would strive to avoid as much as possible. In this case, it's a flaw that does nothing for me!

Hope you like the VR700, in any case.
                              learjeff.net

Comment

Working...
                              X