Yamaha Motif ES-6 volume issues

• Members

I teach high school band and we're using a Motif ES-6 and a Korg Triton in the front ensemble of our marching band.

I'm having a terrible time trying to get a decent output level from our Yamaha Motif ES-6 and I didn't know if anyone would have any ideas as to why this is a problem. I've tried switching out cables, trying different channels on the mixer, boosting the fader and gain to uncomfortable levels, but nothing seems to help. I've also tried combing through the 300 page manual, but haven't gotten any help there either.

We also have a Korg Triton in the front ensemble for our marching band that will totally blow the roof off of the band hall, so I know it isn't a problem with any of the other audio components.

I appreciate your help!

• Members

I'm still trying to figure out how you march with a synthesizer :confused:

In the Motif there are a number of places where volume is controlled:

-- in each Voice there are levels for each Element plus an overall level

-- in the Utility menu you can set the overall volume of the instrument as well boost the gain of the outputs by 6 dB

-- in the Utility menu you can also change the velocity curve or set the velocity to a fixed value (like 127, the maximum)

• Members

Make sure that voices are assigned to the Main L&R outputs. If somebody assigned voices to the aux outs, or to the outputs from the optional 8 out board, and did a "save all", you can have this issue.

I don't have my manual or board in front of me, or I would walk you through it.

Also, I am a little jealous- the schools in my area can't afford five year old Casios, yet alone Motifs and Tritons.

• Members

Thanks piano39!

My ignorance towards electronics affords me the opportunity to say "I have no idea" in regards to the voice assignments. I'll definitely check this out tomorrow when I get back to the school.

Quick question about that though......If someone would've assigned these voices to the auxiliary outs, would the factory reset I did this morning have taken care of it?

• Members

Thanks piano39!

My ignorance towards electronics affords me the opportunity to say "I have no idea" in regards to the voice assignments. I'll definitely check this out tomorrow when I get back to the school.

Quick question about that though......If someone would've assigned these voices to the auxiliary outs, would the factory reset I did this morning have taken care of it?

I'd think a Factory Reset would indeed take care of stray Aux. Out voice assignments... :thu:

btw, I think Korg's outputs in general are waaaay hotter than Yamaha's :eek: - - I play a Yamaha S90ES and a Korg Triton Le - the TLE signal is ALWAYS hotter than the S90ES. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'm still trying to figure out how you march with a synthesizer
:confused:

Hey Woody Allen marched w/a cello in "Take the Money and Run" - :lol:

[video=youtube;4smgVpcFMp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smgVpcFMp8

Actually what the OP is describing is often called a "pit band" - a fixed ensemble of a marching band - or a separate offsshoot band - that actually hangs by the sideline and doesn't march... :facepalm::wave: - - for footbal or basketball games.

Sometimes they have bass gtr., sometimes synth, electric gtr., etc...

I played synth in a pit band or "pep band" for Rutgers marching band in NJ - back in the 80's... ugh. :p

Archived