No announcement yet.

Lack of time

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of time

I started a new job last month (thankfully, as i didn't care for my old one). I've had a lot of work-related travel, though - a week in Boston, a week in Phoenix, a week in San Francisco. When not traveling I've been learning the ropes and setting up and office in Chicago. More travel is in my future.

Weekends have me flying home on Saturdays, taking care of necessities in my life and around the house. This weekend we have out of town guests. And in the midst of all this I've been battling some rather serious health issues.

If you have the time to wrap your head around your music, and enjoy your synths, I envy you.
    -------------------------------
    Michael
    Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
    27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
    http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

I hope you are able to tackle and overcome the health issues.

My job wears on me too. There was one night this last week when I felt so mentally drained and tired that I was literally aching. I kept wanting to turn on the Kronos but eventually just turned on the TV instead. My wife doesn't really grok this effect.

Are you running Logic or DP on that new Mac Air? Do your job give you time on the road to play or is it nonstop work? I know that in the manufacturing world there are heavy travel-related jobs that leave little room for anything but sleep.
    Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

I started a new job last month (thankfully, as i didn't care for my old one). I've had a lot of work-related travel, though - a week in Boston, a week in Phoenix, a week in San Francisco. When not traveling I've been learning the ropes and setting up and office in Chicago. More travel is in my future.

Weekends have me flying home on Saturdays, taking care of necessities in my life and around the house. This weekend we have out of town guests. And in the midst of all this I've been battling some rather serious health issues.

If you have the time to wrap your head around your music, and enjoy your synths, I envy you.

I travelled extensively in my 30's/40's. The novelty wore off quickly.

I would not take a job travelling like that, and avoided it when I turned 50.

fortunately , I have my own business, so all my travel is local , by car. I set my own schedule but mostly work 6-7 days per week.
      I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

A new company took over the IT contract for a major defense company that I work at, resulting in many months of employment insecurity and the inconvenience of reapplying/reinterviewing/renegotiating my job. On top of that I have been undergoing cataract surgery (left eye July 1st, right eye yesterday). Good news: I've been rehired (thanks I think), my surgery has gone well (so THAT'S what hi-def TV looks like!), and my new album is going well. It's the first contemporary Christian album I've ever written and somehow it is making this strange time of bad economy and great uncertainty a little more bearable. Sometimes music is all we have.
        A wise man knows the difference between opera and barbeque...

Comment

Try college. Between the individual projects, group projects, studying, and speeches. I have no time either. I'm not happy that this is another week that I couldn't spend my Friday practicing piano, getting more adept with Pro Tools, and work on my own music and sounds.
          Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9, a StudioLive 16.0.2, HS 80M monitors, 2 ATH M50 headphones, Synths both hardware and software, and a DJ rig using turntables.

Comment

Glad to hear you got a job, KW, but I'm sorry you're having health issues. Illness pretty much throws a wet blanket over everything.

My job is becoming higher-pressure; As a US-based software engineer, I'm considered "expensive" by the company. So I really need to start making bigger splashes to justify my existence. When I get home now, I don't really feel like doing ANYTHING, including keyboards.

I'm about to make it worse, too: I'm probably going to start going to school this spring semester. Without a sheepskin, my career movement is stuck, at least in a large coporation. I'm dreading doing this, because I know it'll be hard to be good at both work AND school, but... gotta do it. I'm gonna be the "that old guy" among all the fresh-out-of-highschool kids.

Don't do what I did, kids. Go to college. Get that degree.
            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Glad to hear you got a job, KW, but I'm sorry you're having health issues. Illness pretty much throws a wet blanket over everything.

My job is becoming higher-pressure; As a US-based software engineer, I'm considered "expensive" by the company. So I really need to start making bigger splashes to justify my existence. When I get home now, I don't really feel like doing ANYTHING, including keyboards.

I'm about to make it worse, too: I'm probably going to start going to school this spring semester. Without a sheepskin, my career movement is stuck, at least in a large coporation. I'm dreading doing this, because I know it'll be hard to be good at both work AND school, but... gotta do it. I'm gonna be the "that old guy" among all the fresh-out-of-highschool kids.

Don't do what I did, kids. Go to college. Get that degree.

You won't be the old guy. Just change your image a bit and get some cool tattoos.

Seriously, I thought I was going to be the old guy but a lot of the young people really take to me and are interested in my life experience. This will likely be the same way for you.
              Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9, a StudioLive 16.0.2, HS 80M monitors, 2 ATH M50 headphones, Synths both hardware and software, and a DJ rig using turntables.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Muzik!
                Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Do degrees actually count once you've been in the workplace for so long?

When I'm recruiting, I couldn't give a rat's buttock about the degree - all I want to know is how much real world experience the person has had.

But I hear you EP.....we are already outsourcing some of our development to an Indian mob........it's a fraction of the price.
                  Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell...

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Muzik!

You'll be fine, more marketable afterwards, and some people will like that you went back to school to broaden your knowledge.

Think about all the new contacts you'll make too.

Comment

Do degrees actually count once you've been in the workplace for so long?

Not sure, but IMHO, it's worth it alone just for the networking.

AFter being in school with people for a while, you come to know people's strengths and weaknesses. This is the kind of stuff that company's are founded on.

Comment

On the other hand, as a recent graduate who's now 4 months into the job search with no viable prospects, I envy you. I've got all the time in the world, but I'm dead broke. Hard to get inspired to do much of anything musically when you're constantly waiting for the phone to ring, but the call for an interview never arrives.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
                        Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
                        DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
                        Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

On the other hand, as a recent graduate who's now 4 months into the job search with no viable prospects, I envy you. I've got all the time in the world, but I'm dead broke. Hard to get inspired to do much of anything musically when you're constantly waiting for the phone to ring, but the call for an interview never arrives.

Prayers for you CK.....may that phone ring shortly.
                          Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell...

Comment

Michael I hope you get better soon. I know it can be frustrating to have no time to yourself. Illness can just intensify that feeling. I think I speak for many when I say I wish I could just play music and not have do anything else employment wise.

Comment

After all these years I think that unless your bread and butter comes from music, there's no perfect alignment between money, time and music.

We're all in the same boat Michael. Prays for your health issues.
                              Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

Working...
                              X