Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help please. Very new to keys.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help please. Very new to keys.

Hey guys, so I'm starting to learn keys and for my style of music, I don't know where to start. I can probably spend a few hundredish if that gives you an idea.

So I need a variety of sounds, the main piano sound, and also some of these types of sounds, idk what they're called - sorry. I have no idea where to start and thought you guys could help me out.

(13 seconds in)
    What sound is this?

idk, stuff like this (30 seconds in)

So am I looking more for a synth or I have no idea. If anyone could help me out maybe link me to some products that'd be awesome. Thanks so much.

The first is just a piano, though it's probably slightly detuned. The second's a drawbar organ.

What's "a few hundredish"? $400?
    "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
    Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

yeah i mean no fixed price, could be 400ish. thanks man.

oh, and would the second piano be on a synth? thanks.

Comment

I detect a gee-tar player with the gee-tar minded budget. Oddly enough, we NEVER GET QUESTIONS LIKE THAT. What are the odds?

But no worries, friend; Go get you a Korg microKORG and bask in the warmth of knowing that you won't be the only guitar player that bought one. It'll keep you busy for quite a while.

And consider buying used. You can get some nice keyboards used, they're kind of like cars; All the value disappears when you drive them off the lot.

Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I detect a gee-tar player with the gee-tar minded budget. Oddly enough, we NEVER GET QUESTIONS LIKE THAT. What are the odds?

But no worries, friend; Go get you a Korg microKORG and bask in the warmth of knowing that you won't be the only guitar player that bought one. It'll keep you busy for quite a while.

And consider buying used. You can get some nice keyboards used, they're kind of like cars; All the value disappears when you drive them off the lot.

Hey, thanks a lot man! And yeah, hah. I'm a guitar player but I'm so inspired by the keys and piano sound (this song..: ) and really want to learn. Taking lessons now . Thanks for the advice. Oh, and do you think I could essentially plug this into a PA? Or is it really only for practice? THANKS!

song:

Comment

So true.

I had could not get the video to open so I will take a shot in the dark. Either a used Korg Ps60 or used Roland Juno Di will get you in the door with a very recent and still on the market synth. They can get close to just about any sound with some slight tweaking.

Another good board is a used Roland XP-30. An older board in which you can put some of Roland's finest sound expansion boards over the past 15 years inside; and it comes pre-loaded with 2, I think, already.

If you are feeling daring a used Alesis Fusion 61HD could be good. Fantastic board once it has an updated OS and the Hollow Sun soundest loaded. It has 4 different synth technologies built inside. Deep keyboard for a beginner though.

If you just want a synth only type sound, no acoustic pianos, for around $400, there are several virtual analog synths, both new and used, out there.

Finally I just bought a Casio WK-7500. Pretty good all around sound and great bargain for all the things that are on board. Weak in the synth department however. 76 keys $499, 61 keys $399.

All above can be had for your given budgeted spending allowance.

Good luck.....

Comment

Working...
            X