Kontakt 5's 'The Giant - What have I done?!

• Members

I am not a technical guy, I have simply been using 'The Giant' to play with my MIDI keyboard and I never use effects or anything, I just load and play. However I've been having a slight problem with a clipping or popping sound which is triggered by my sustain pedal, so I followed some advice I found through google which told me to go to Preset>Factory>Utilities>MIDI Monitor and then try this thing where I press the pedal down a few times. God knows why, but I thought I'd try it and no harm would come of it. So that's all i did, plus I might have played a couple of keys on the keyboard and it asked me if I wanted to save changes, so I clicked yes, and now its completely ruined! The keys have no touch sensitivity, the pedal no longer does anything and the sound is truly awful. What the hell has happened?

Please tell me there is a quick fix to this? Isn't there a way to reset it? Can I remove the Giant and add it again? As you can tell, I have no technical expertise, but I am so depressed right now because I've had so many issues with home recording, and just playing the piano has been a simple pleasure. No other Kontakt piano rivals The Giant for me. Oh and also, The Giant's interface/picture no longer shows up.

• Members

I don't use Giant so I can't replicate, but I guess you could simply remove the library and reinstall it

clipping and popping could be related to high CPU usage (some Kontakt piano libraries are very CPU heavy)

try this

Options > Memory

tick "override instrument's preload size."

• Members
I don't use Giant so I can't replicate, but I guess you could simply remove the library and reinstall it

clipping and popping could be related to high CPU usage (some Kontakt piano libraries are very CPU heavy)

try this

Options > Memory

tick "override instrument's preload size."

Thank you, I will try the memory thing. I know I sound a bit dim, but how do I remove the library. Would it be a case of uninstalling the entire komplete and reinstalling it? (Hope not!) Or is there a simple way to remove and add? My DAW is Cubase btw.

• Members

Do you know if, when you asked to save, if it was The Giant or Cubase that was asking?

The good news is that The Giant's factory presets cannot be deleted or overwritten.

Try loading the one of the factory presets and see if all is well then.

• Members

yeah, what onelife posted makes sense

did you try another preset ?

to remove a library, under the libray tab on the left, click on the little gear icon of the Giant library

then remove library

then exit

and reinstaal the files (it will overwrite)

then add Giant library to Kontakt

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/1188/kontakt-5-adding-a-sample-library/

• Members

Guys, thank you for your advice. Unfortunately I also requested Native Instruments support at the same time as posting on here. They provided me with a quick fix solution which I took before seeing your posts. Their provided solution did not work. In fact, it seemed to make things work. I then msg'd them again to solve the problem on top of the problem. They put me in a queue, but told me in the meantime I can download an update driver and it should work. Unfortunately, it made the problem worse still, so now I have messaged them again and awaiting response. I am tearing my hair out yet again here.

Anyway, I thought I would try your suggested advice, which I can now see probably would have worked had i tried your advice first. Sadly, the option NI gave me has negated the remove and add solution. The Giant and Cinematic don't open, instead I get the message 'This patch was generated by a newer version of the application. Please upgrade your copy to load the patch.'

• Members

Phew, this issue is now resolved. Native Instruments sent me some software which could read everything on my computer and sent it to them so they could diagnose it. They sent me a WIN update patch for Kontakt and it worked. Just got two issues to resolve now. First up, the popping sound on my VSTs. I'll see if bieke's advice works regarding this. If not, I guess I'll be bugging the forum again.

• Members

The CPU override option did not work. On a positive note, this cutting out/popping issue only occurs in live play. So, and I guess this makes sense - the actual MIDI data is recorded as I've played it and sent via pedal. The VST plays the information fine. It is still a problem though, because, aside from taking the fun out of playing, it also disturbs and throws me off executing the correct score. For example, if I press down the pedal and the live sound takes off the sustain, I tend to compensate by lifting off the pedal and back down again to correct it, whereas on playback you will hear the correction, which in turn will now be a mistake. Does that make sense? I will have to make this an individual post in the near future. Meanwhile, I don't know how to overcome the lost REVerence VST preset. Roomworks is the only other reverb option and its terrible. I'm only these two issues away from contentment (for the while).

• Members

sorry my tip did not work, it is just that I sometimes get crackles and pops using Kontakt and then i usually see that the little built-in CPU meter goes all the way up. I have no idea what you could do, as you describe it, it still could have someething to do with the configuration of your pedal, since the folks at NI have given you support, I would not hesitate to call upon them o,ce more to sort it out.

Archived