Moog goes back to modular!

ElectricPuppy

• Members

it's API 500 series! the 'lunchbox' standard.

definitely not really intended for 'modular' use in the conventional existing synth-sense, but can certainly be used with a lot of flexibility within a recording studio environment.

so basically it's a moogerfooger in a lunchbox. but with no c/v. yipyipypip yipyip yip

• Members

it's API 500 series! the 'lunchbox' standard.

definitely not really intended for 'modular' use in the conventional existing synth-sense, but can certainly be used with a lot of flexibility within a recording studio environment.

so basically it's a moogerfooger in a lunchbox. but with no c/v. yipyipypip yipyip yip

is that the same as synthesizers.com modules?

• Members

no. it's API's own stupid proprietary standard for the way modular pro audio gear should work. this standard implements additional shielding for the modules to protect against noise, higher voltages for the units to run on and balanced I/O. but that's about all. just a rack box turned sideways, and mildly cheaper for 3rd party startups to manufacture because you won't need to engineer a power supply/enclosure for it.

http://www.apiaudio.com/vpr_alliance.html

• Members

I've seen it and it does indeed look groovy, but unfortunately it doesn't look like a "real" return to Moog modulars (yet.. )

However, as far as "modular systems" go I've already picked my choice and I'm not changing from Roger Arrick's excellent product. He sells a fantastic-sounding Q150 module that's a clone of the original Moog transistor ladder filter.

The 500 format has gained so much popularity in the past few years, and so many manufacturers produce 500-format modules, that even mainstream music stores like Sweetwater now carry them, but they are mainly for compressors, pre-amps, effects etc - not for "modular synths" (that's the "Euro" format which is similarly-sized)

I wouldn't mind getting a rack mounted 500 box and get those Neve 1073LB 500 format preamps, though!! :love:

• Members

With no CV capability I would say it's edge is rather limited. I'm sure it is a nice module but as mentioned, that is quite expensive. What I find most interesting is that they evidentially haven't sent an email announcing this product -- more of a stealth introduction. I could have missed it, or perhaps they don't want to generate more interest than it merits. Or, perhaps, there are other plans...

• Members

With no CV capability I would say it's edge is rather limited. I'm sure it is a nice module but as mentioned, that is quite expensive.

I don't think it's really meant for us synth tweakers. I think it's more meant for certain studios, with their Lunchboxes of expensive audio effects, when some person wants to hear "filtered vocal / instrument".

I'll stick with my Moogerfooger filter, which interfaces decently enough with Eurorack anyways.

• Members

Indeed, this is a range designed for studio heads from what i can see, hence it doesnt need the cv stuff...500 series stuff in a lunchbox is very popular as it enables you to travel to different studios or gigs with your sound all nicely racked up and portable..

Archived