Recreating Glitch Percussion from Portal 2

Onyx967

• Members

Well, I guess the title speaks for itself. I'd like to recreate (or at least get something similar to) the glitch type percussion noises used in Portal 2's soundtrack. I'd preferably like to use Cubase 5's Prologue virtual synth, but I have a microKorg as well. I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to get a similar sound.

Here's some examples of the sound I'm trying to get:

The Friendly Faith Plate- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scLOuKj3ug

[There's definitely a percussion track layered under the main glitch noise.]

Here's another one-

[Title contains SPOILERS for those who haven't played it yet. Glitch percussion starts to fade in about 47 seconds in.]

• Members

Lots of distortion on the main, everything is compressed and distorted together. Def a bit of bit crushing in there, and a filter modulated in midi sync, with an lfo, Might be a comb filter?

The volume cuts are well placed gates. I wouldn't call this "glitchy" the gates aren't fast or spastic enough. It def has a nice groove to it.

the second clip just sounds like snippets of mid heavy distorted synth lines, with some filter on there to give the different hits a different flavor. Lots of compression too. They were probably all taken from different parts of a single filter sweep.

• Members

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Definitely a lot of distortion and compression. Any idea how I would shape the sound itself? I know it would start with some kind of noise wave, but I can still determine some of the notes have varying pitches (could be due to the filter too, but I think it's hitting different notes). Possibly a square/sine wave with osc sync?

Also, is there anyway to easily create randomness with Cubase's automation tools? Keyframing this stuff by hand would take quite a while...

• Members

could you do it with a delay effect with VERY short time and feedback settings? I'm thinking you could double the percussion track, add the effect on the whole track, razor it up, disable the parts where you didn't want the glitch and enable the parts where you did.

Just a thought.

Archived