OT: iPhone 4S 8 megapixel camera - nice!

keybdwizrd

• Members

Siri's voice recognition capabilities are amazing. Finally, something like this that REALLY works. Accuracy is easily more than 95%.

Siri will Google anything, calculate percentages, do math, find restaurants, map directions, allow you to dictate emails, launch iTunes playlists, and entertain with humorous answers to wacky questions.

I'd really like to have Siri technology connected to my television / cable box. What time is the Bears game on? Record Modern Family all the time. Are there any Jack Nicholson films on this week?

• Members

I'd really like to have Siri technology connected to my television / cable box.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-kinect-for-xbox-360-186646.phtml makes that possible, but queries like yours - not yet, probably. If developers would use Siri and have it send commands to your TV/Cable box - then you'd have what you want. Though seeing how short-sighted companies can be you'd probably have to install an app per broadcaster just to go through their (none two alike) TV guide.

• Members

Naw... My wife ordered me one of these cases - cool, or what?

366-151266_MED.jpg

I got one...the foam of the inner case is not too thick though, but I am :facepalm:...yup left corner got it the next day after purchase! After charging the phone, I put it on a flat surface...the back is so smooth that it slid off the surface of a vinyl laundry hamper and took a 4 foot drop hit a marble floor! slight indentation to be viewed with a magnifying glass. I could see that shattering glass scenario though from shoulder height...this puppy is not exactly a lightweight!

• Members

I'm not convinced about SIRI. I think it may be more gimmick than tool. iPhone 4 has voice control, and whilst it may be a far cry from SIRI, you could still ask it to play an album, call somebody, and other seemingly useful tasks.

How many times have I used it? Never.

Why? I feel like an idiot speaking to a phone.

• Members

I'm not convinced about SIRI. I think it may be more gimmick than tool. iPhone 4 has voice control, and whilst it may be a far cry from SIRI, you could still ask it to play an album,.

Me: "Play Edward Elgar"

IPod4: You said Medvark Rigar :confused::lol:

I tried the voice thingy one day. It got 1 out of maybe 15 tries.

• Members

Racist technology. Doesn't work for us people who have accents!
:cry:

:lol:

I think that as AI advances, that will become less of an issue.

Coincidentally, I have been taking a lens design class for half a day over the last 6 weeks, and the new camera lens has been discussed in minor detail. Apparently it is possible to buy the lens assemblies for iPhones for something on the order of five or ten dollars US. The guy teaching our class is a free-lance lens designer and he is waiting to get one of the iPhone 4S lenses to examine. They are supposed to be made from plastic. Also there is a piezo-electric auto-focus system in the iPhone4S, but I am not sure about earlier models.

• Members

Coincidentally, I have been taking a lens design class

You are truly a renaissance man. How did you even come up with the idea? :)

Anyway, http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/k800i/index.html was a pretty interesting read regarding camera phones - though I think the evolution there's going a bit slower because cameras are considered extras instead of main selling points.

• Members

Perhaps it's just me... but why do people throw a significant chunk of cash into a smart phone and not get a proper case for it?

I agree.

Just ordered the Otterbox Defender case for my 4S, I have one on the iPad as well, they make a good product.

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4S-Defender-Series-Case/APL2-I4SUN,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL2-I4SUN_color=20&start=2&cgid=apple-iphone-4s-cases

Archived