Kontakt 5 Pianos - My sound quality

• Members

I've had Komplete 9 for 4 years now, and its clear to me that when I play piano on my tracks, it comes out muddy and soft. Like a cheap Casio keyboard sound, rather than concert grand quality. It is ruining my music, but I just can't understand why its just my Kontakt 5 pianos that sound poor.

I recorded the audio from a Youtube video of somebody demonstrating the default Giant piano from Kontakt 5. I put the audio my DAW and using exactly the same default settings on my Kontakt Giant, I mimicked roughly the same tune to show the comparison. The Giant has by nature (on default) a bright, brilliant sound as I have heard on other videos - have a listen to this...

https://soundcloud.com/crackadorrecords/kontakt-5-piano-comparison

The first piano is the one from Youtube and clearly has that bright sound, whereas the second one, which is me, is sooo soft? It doesn't matter which piano I pick, they sound as if they're being played in another room. I'm really fed up with this, I cannot work it out. Can anybody help me? Thank you.

• Members

I don't have much experience with the Native Instruments pianos but I've noticed with Yamaha pianos that there is a degradation in the quality of sound when I run them in mono.

The link you posted sounds like the piano from youtube is stereo and the one form your computer is mono. If your bit is indeed mono then try recording a stereo track for comparison.

• Members

Well I never, I didn't think the Yamaha was ever the problem. (Onelife, did you just reference your own trouble with Yamahas as an example or did you know I had a Yamaha?) I borrowed a simple AKAI MIDI controller keyboard from my brother and suddenly the sound quality was fantastic. So clearly it is my Yamaha DGX 620 that's the problem. I guess I'm quite happy I've found this out. but the trouble now is what do I do about it? This model has a USB out for the MIDI, which goes straight in to my laptop's USB port. The correct driver is definitely installed. Is this a case of simply selling the keyboard and buying an all purpose MIDI 88 key keyboard? That wouldn't be ideal as I really like the DGX 620, but like I say, it is at least wonderful to finally know the cause. I've fiddled about with all the settings I know, but nothing improves it. Although I'm wondering if it is simply a touch sensitive issue. When I smash the Yamaha keys, it breaks through in to that crystal sound and registers as the same volume as the AKAI rather than 1/3 as low. I've again altered volume and touch settings, but only physically bashing the keys works.

I don't have much experience with the Native Instruments pianos but I've noticed with Yamaha pianos that there is a degradation in the quality of sound when I run them in mono.

The link you posted sounds like the piano from youtube is stereo and the one form your computer is mono. If your bit is indeed mono then try recording a stereo track for comparison.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Do you mean create two MIDI VST tracks, one panned left one panned right?

• Members

A quick MIDI primer.

Imagine a grand piano with the keyboard removed and placed in another room. Pretend there is some kind of elaborate mechanical connection between the two parts that allows the keyboard to control the hammers from a distance. That connection serves the same function as MIDI does.

MIDI information is not sound but it is control information. In its simplest from, it contains information about what key is pressed, when it is pressed, how fast the key moves from start to finish, and when it is release

Touch sensitivity is actually velocity sensetivity. The DGX 620 has three settings for velocity sensetivity and it can be set in the function mode.

In the context that you are using your setup, the DGX 620 is like the keyboard that has been removed from the grand piano and you Kontact 5 is the rest of the instrument. Because the DGX 620 is limited in its velocity adjustments, you may need to adjust the velocity sensetivity on the Kontact 5 to match it with your keyboard.

I have a Yamaha P120 that has a similar keyboard with only three seetings for velocity (hard, medium and soft) but I have been able to use it as a MIDI controller by adjusting the velocity seetings on the piano module in Sonic Synth 2 which I was using at the time.

My first suggestion would be to try the three different settings available on your keyboard to see if that will give you uwhat you want. If ythat doesn't work then adust the piano module on your computer.

The VST MIDI track is probably giving you a stereo piano. My suggestion about recording the piano in stereo is more about making sure you don't record the audio in mono. In this case, however, I no longer suspect that the piano is being recorded in mono since you stated it sounds fine with the AKAI MIDI controller.

• Members
A quick MIDI primer..

Thanks for the info. I have tried your suggestions and more on both the keyboard and the computer. Nothing will fire it up.

Reluctantly I am resigned to selling it on now. I'm looking at the M Audio Oxygen 88, as I want the full weighted piano experience. Just hope the same or other issues aren't present with that or whatever I do buy. Its a tricky situation because how do I try it out in the shop - take my laptop, install drivers and whatever else, don't think they're going to allow that. That's if they even have MIDI's on display, what with having no inbuilt sound.

• Members
Yes' date=' it made no discernible difference.[/quote']

It should make a difference - something isn't right.

When you play the Yamaha DGX 620, using only its internal sounds, is it velocity sensitive?

Archived