VA Cage-Match: JP-8000 vs. AN1X

AJP

• Members

I've narrowed my VA choices down to these two. Been listening to lots of demos, and sound-wise, the AN1X sounds soooooo fat and juicy to me. The JP sounds good to me, but lacks the fat, the level of grit, of the AN1X. Just wanted to throw out a thread for any concurring or opposing opinions. Watching a YouTube demo of the AN1X right now, and it seems like the fat is just dripping out of the speakers. That said, I don't think you could design an uglier synth if you tried (IMO). Well, maybe the ION (again, IMO!). Let the cage match begin :wave:

EDIT: I should add that the JP does seem to beat the AN in the arena of hands-on panel control....

• Members

I think you've got a good handle on the situation.

I've owned most VA's at one time or another (korg z1, prophecy, ms2000, microkorg, yamaha an1x, an200, novation nova, x-station, alesis micron, roland jp8000, sh32, waldorf microq, access virus B + C - but no nord yet!)

The 2 I have left? The an1x and the jp8000.

The an1x just sounds great - the best VA I've heard in my opinion. The interface is pretty intelligently designed for an 8 knob synth once you get used to it.

The jp8000 has a great interface - you can dial in what you want fast and fun. The jp does sound good - but, not as rich and flavourful as the an1x - plus it's a lot more limited in the sound sculpting department.

keys wise the an1x feels a lot better/more responsive than the jp8000 - and, has aftertouch (as does the touchstrip).

I originally sold my an1x to fund the jp8000 because I enjoyed the hands on programming - but, after a few months I just had to have some yamaha AN back in my life.

conclusion: get both!

• Members

I think you've got a good handle on the situation.

I've owned most VA's at one time or another (korg z1, prophecy, ms2000, microkorg, yamaha an1x, an200, novation nova, x-station, alesis micron, roland jp8000, sh32, waldorf microq, access virus B + C - but no nord yet!)

The 2 I have left? The an1x and the jp8000.

The an1x just sounds great - the best VA I've heard in my opinion. The interface is pretty intelligently designed for an 8 knob synth once you get used to it.

The jp8000 has a great interface - you can dial in what you want fast and fun. The jp does sound good - but, not as rich and flavourful as the an1x - plus it's a lot more limited in the sound sculpting department.

keys wise the an1x feels a lot better/more responsive than the jp8000 - and, has aftertouch (as does the touchstrip).

I originally sold my an1x to fund the jp8000 because I enjoyed the hands on programming - but, after a few months I just had to have some yamaha AN back in my life.

conclusion: get both!

So much for the cage match lol ...

• Members

So much for the cage match lol ...

Well, that certainly puts it in perspective! :eek:

Maybe both someday... got a 15-year-old coming up on :facepalm: driving and :facepalm: wanting a car.

I think the AN1X is out front based on sound character...

• Members

The AN1x also has an insane step sequencer.

Each program gets it's own sequence plus there are 128 "free" locations that can be assigned to any program...lots of real time control transposing and selecting step patterns in real time. Each step can control pitch, velocity, gate time and a single CC.

If you enjoy step sequencing you will love it.

• Members

If you only have money for one, then sell the MicroKorg, you won't miss it
:lol:

I like the MKXL for the simple fact that I can bring it to work and noodle at my desk at lunchtime. Unfortunately it's suffering a volume issue right now, which, looking at korgforums, is apparently common... the volume pot has no effect until it's almost all the way up. Both phones and line outs. Gotta take it in for repair :cry:

• Members

My question is this why are new hardware VA's not wiping the floor with these original pioneers. I remember even back then people complaining that the Roland JP8000 sounded thin and digital and was not as good as the Nordlead 1, which mine you only had 4 voices of polyphony on the stock model. Why aren't VA's like video game systems just getting better and better.

Sorry did not mean to change course of course......

Oh by the way just pure aesthetic reasons but I prefer the Roland.

• Members

My question is this why are new hardware VA not wiping the floor with these original pioneers.

good point. I see these "work stations" etc with 64+ polyphony, and yet new VA's have 8 voices???? I suppose a Virus is a VA but it is priced too high compared to JP8000 etc. And Gaia seems too cheap - but at least it has a lot of voices so that is something.

And.... if they can make great sounding Software Synths now (Diva etc), that means they can be put into hardware WITH KNOBS. GOSH

• Members

My question is this why are new hardware VA's not wiping the floor with these original pioneers. I remember even back then people complaining that the Roland JP8000 sounded thin and digital and was not as good as the Nordlead 1, which mine you only had 4 voices of polyphony on the stock model. Why aren't VA's like video game systems just getting better and better.

Sorry did not mean to change course of course......

Oh by the way just pure aesthetic reasons but I prefer the Roland.

I think the old VAs sounded really good for whatever reason and now they are mostly kinda boring. One exception is the UltraNova, sounds awesome, just wish it had more controls... with enough holiday money I might get one to control with my RemoteSL that would rule.

I would so buy Massive if it came in a hardware synth.

An1x for sound def, JP8000 for control and bec it looks so cool, I want one.

• Members

I really stretched financially at this point to get an Ultranova, haven't regretted it since; it's a lovely instrument, and just plain lots of fun! Love the touch-controller knobs, combined with a massively flexible modulation matrix.

It is really great when you can connect physically as well as sonically with an instrument in both editing features and realtime control.

• Members

It is really great when you can connect physically as well as sonically with an instrument in both editing features and realtime control.

I also have the Ultranova, it's not the most knobbyish synth out there but damn it's fast to edit when you get used to it. First I didn't like the rubber buttons, but now I'm familiar with them and I actually prefer them over usual "hard" push-buttons. I just make sounds furiously and bang those buttons like "BANG yeaaaaah edit filter BANG envelopes BANG EFFECTS YAAAA!". If you get whan I mean, propably not. (:---D)

• Members

I also have the Ultranova, it's not the most knobbyish synth out there but damn it's fast to edit when you get used to it. First I didn't like the rubber buttons, but now I'm familiar with them and I actually prefer them over usual "hard" push-buttons. I just make sounds furiously and bang those buttons like "BANG yeaaaaah edit filter BANG envelopes BANG EFFECTS YAAAA!". If you get whan I mean, propably not. (:---D)

Yes, yes I do actually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This thread got me looking for another AN1x and I found a bunch of new old stock factory sealed units from a place called Crazy Analog in Seoul, ROK. An interesting find considering it's been nearly 15 years since its inception. So I got me a brand spanking new AN1x and its awesome. Also, still available from the Yamaha parts store is the v1.04 ROM which is the last OS update for the AN1x. Did I mention that the AN1x software editor from Yammy is the shite!? I kinda like this synth. :)

Archived