No announcement yet.

VA Cage-Match: JP-8000 vs. AN1X

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean like these guys?

Is that just a controller or is it actually a new VA piece with software inside like the Arturia board.

Comment

It's just a dedicated controller for IMPOscar 2. The software still runs on your computer.

I was being facetious I guess.
      http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

But it's software -eeewwwww!

Listen with your ears, then judge
        If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

My question is this why are new hardware VA's not wiping the floor with these original pioneers. I remember even back then people complaining that the Roland JP8000 sounded thin and digital and was not as good as the Nordlead 1, which mine you only had 4 voices of polyphony on the stock model. Why aren't VA's like video game systems just getting better and better.

Sorry did not mean to change course of course......

Oh by the way just pure aesthetic reasons but I prefer the Roland.

I think the old VAs sounded really good for whatever reason and now they are mostly kinda boring. One exception is the UltraNova, sounds awesome, just wish it had more controls... with enough holiday money I might get one to control with my RemoteSL that would rule.

I would so buy Massive if it came in a hardware synth.

An1x for sound def, JP8000 for control and bec it looks so cool, I want one.
          http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

I really stretched financially at this point to get an Ultranova, haven't regretted it since; it's a lovely instrument, and just plain lots of fun! Love the touch-controller knobs, combined with a massively flexible modulation matrix.
            A Gadibus usque ad Auroram

Comment

I really stretched financially at this point to get an Ultranova, haven't regretted it since; it's a lovely instrument, and just plain lots of fun! Love the touch-controller knobs, combined with a massively flexible modulation matrix.

It is really great when you can connect physically as well as sonically with an instrument in both editing features and realtime control.

Comment

It is really great when you can connect physically as well as sonically with an instrument in both editing features and realtime control.

I also have the Ultranova, it's not the most knobbyish synth out there but damn it's fast to edit when you get used to it. First I didn't like the rubber buttons, but now I'm familiar with them and I actually prefer them over usual "hard" push-buttons. I just make sounds furiously and bang those buttons like "BANG yeaaaaah edit filter BANG envelopes BANG EFFECTS YAAAA!". If you get whan I mean, propably not. (:---D)

Comment

I also have the Ultranova, it's not the most knobbyish synth out there but damn it's fast to edit when you get used to it. First I didn't like the rubber buttons, but now I'm familiar with them and I actually prefer them over usual "hard" push-buttons. I just make sounds furiously and bang those buttons like "BANG yeaaaaah edit filter BANG envelopes BANG EFFECTS YAAAA!". If you get whan I mean, propably not. (:---D)

Yes, yes I do actually.

Comment

This thread got me looking for another AN1x and I found a bunch of new old stock factory sealed units from a place called Crazy Analog in Seoul, ROK. An interesting find considering it's been nearly 15 years since its inception. So I got me a brand spanking new AN1x and its awesome. Also, still available from the Yamaha parts store is the v1.04 ROM which is the last OS update for the AN1x. Did I mention that the AN1x software editor from Yammy is the ****************e!? I kinda like this synth.

Comment

SuperSaw wins.

JP8000 is not just a synth, it's a SUPER synth

WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE AHEAD!

It's like this:

vs .

This

(Don't ban me!)

The choice is clear.

Comment

AN1x can do so much more than JP-8000.

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ds_an1x.html
                        If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

the AN1X is my least-favorite VA (although i like the Jetsons styling). the JP-8000 on the other hand, that sounds fantastic to my ears.

Comment

Why least favourite? IMHO it sounds quite extraordinary:

It also doesn't alias like Nord Lead can.

Comment

hmmm. sounds like the anx1 is more versitile overall, but still has sort of a DX-ish sound to it... that I learned to not like post 80s. I'm happier within the limits of my JP8000

Comment

So who won the match? was the winner based on specs? features? overall sound?

Equal time...

and in the end...it all comes down to personal preference.
                                end of story!

Comment

Working...
                                X